PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Driver side door lock not unlocking

ajjaaron
11-09-2008, 06:29 PM
My 2003 4Runner driver side door is not unlocking from the inside when you pull the latch to open the door. It is getting jammed in the lock position and will not unlock when opening the door. I have to use the unlock toggle to unlock all the doors to unlock the driver side door.

Any ideas why this is happening?

bulldog
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
The mechanism probably got stuck. See the repair manual on how to open adn inspect the door mechanism at the handle and to the lock.

ajjaaron
11-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Andries thanks for the reply.

This is a really weird problem. I did take the door panel off and inspected the the door latch mechanism. The door handle was not broken or seemed like it was bad. I can pull on the door handle really hard and it will unlock the door but I mean really hard. I don't want to break the handle. I sprayed some lithium grease on all the parts with no change. The mechanism to the door lock has 2 wires going back the the lock. 1 for the handle, 1 for the lock/unlock.

Is there any electrically controlled parts in this door latch?

bulldog
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
There is the electric lock for the remote.

Honestly it is really hard to pin it down without seeing it in person. Not sure if there is any info in the repair manual and troubleshooting guide that will help.

MAC4Runner
11-10-2008, 08:42 AM
FWIW a similiar thing has happened to me 2x during the 4+ years I've owned my 4Runner. Both times I just manually locked and unlock the door several (20+) times using the key in the drivers door and all was well. I took off the door panel and was never able to find the issue.

HTH

Casual
11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I have the same issue on my 03. Weird huh. doesnt bother me much though.

onfly
11-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Have run into this before on a buddy's runner.
The problem was fixed by replacing the door lock actuator. Luckily was still under warranty.

Juan

Simias
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
man...this just happened to my wife's '04 4runner...dealership is asking $740 to fix it because the door does not open at all anymore.

ajjaaron
08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
At this point I have not done anything about it. I am starting to just live with it. Pretty lame.

Diasjj
10-06-2013, 05:28 PM
My 2005 4 runner driver side door will not shut due to the latch not being able to "click" and thus kept the door shut. Also, the inner door handle and manual lock button are inoperable. Almost certain this is the actuator, but it's odd because everyone on the forums write their actuator problem won't let them lock the door as opposed to my problem, keeping the door shut. This malfunction happened when my wife was out with our baby and toddler while it was raining. She had to bungee the door shut with two windows partly down just to get home! Could this be something besides an actuator replacement need? I pulled the inner door panel off, but no clues were evident that point to anything besides the actuator.