Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

Toyota 120 Platforms Forum (http://www.toyota120.com/forum/index.php)
-   Communications (http://www.toyota120.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   "What kind of HAM radio should I get?" (http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21446)

BlairB 09-07-2011 09:20 AM

"What kind of HAM radio should I get?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_josh (Post 149686)
Okay I found a test date this weekend, and I do have the book in time. Maybe I can cram it and take The test this weekend. The next available date for me to test would be mid October

When and where are you taking it?

SP Jon M3 09-07-2011 09:21 AM

As everyone has said, the test is easy! Just study for a couple nights and take some practice tests on qrz.com or eham.net. Once you are passing those with 90% or better, then go take the test!

the_josh 09-07-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlairB (Post 149689)
When and where are you taking it?

If I do it Saturday I think I'll do it here:

Sponsor: TriCity VE Group-www.sbara.org
Date: Sep 10 2011*
Time: 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)*
(510) 364-0611
Email: bernhard.hailer@sbcglobal.net
VEC: ARRL/VEC
48233 Warm Springs Blvd
Fremont CA 94539-7654

UnionJack 09-07-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_josh (Post 149695)
If I do it Saturday I think I'll do it here:

Sponsor: TriCity VE Group-www.sbara.org
Date: Sep 10 2011*
Time: 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)*
(510) 364-0611
Email: bernhard.hailer@sbcglobal.net
VEC: ARRL/VEC
48233 Warm Springs Blvd
Fremont CA 94539-7654

If for some reason you can't make that one here's another option for you. The HAMs at the SFARC are good people:

Sunday the 11th http://sfarc.org/

cruiserlarry 09-07-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh220 (Post 149670)
Easily. It took me 2 days to get all of the info down, then took the test the following weekend. Less than a week after the BB trip I had my Tech, and my General a few days after that. It'll take a week or so for them to update your call sign in their system, and about 2 weeks for them to mail it to you. You can operate as soon as it shows online though.

The link posted above will tell you when/where there are tests in your area.

You can technically operate without a call-sign (illegally), but it's so easy to do that I don't see the point. I'd do everything properly, especially since there will be a few VE's on this trip including myself if I get all the paperwork squared away in time.

A couple of comments:

Even with VEs on the trip (I'm a VE and have done several test sessions in the field with OAUSA), pre-arrangements must be made with ARRL in order to have a valid test session. Also, passing the Tech test during the event would not allow you to operate legally - you still have to wait for your license to be posted on the FCC web-site, which usually takes about a week...

UnionJack 09-07-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiserlarry (Post 149761)
A couple of comments:

Even with VEs on the trip (I'm a VE and have done several test sessions in the field with OAUSA), pre-arrangements must be made with ARRL in order to have a valid test session. Also, passing the Tech test during the event would not allow you to operate legally - you still have to wait for your license to be posted on the FCC web-site, which usually takes about a week...

But legally he could listen to you talk and he would be better off listening to you than talking :jester::jester::rotflmao:

the_josh 09-08-2011 10:45 PM

is i did get my license prior to the trip, what would be a good system to get?

shuly 09-08-2011 10:48 PM

SP Jon M3 09-08-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_josh (Post 149861)

Depends, what are you looking for? HT (handie talkie, aka walkie-talkie), mobile, or HF (if you get your General Class)? Want APRS?

Personally I have two must have features, that would be dual-band and dual-receive (listen to two freq simultaneously).

So far I've personally only bought Yaesu radios, they seem to have the features that I'm looking for. Other brands to look at are Kenwood and Icom.

UnionJack 09-08-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_josh (Post 149861)

How far do you want to go... that is not a leading question... talking range and purpose. Rig to rig and some reasonable range get a dual band maybe consider APRS all add up $$. If you plan on long range go for the general license and go for a HF set up like Jon has (SpJon) very cool set up.

MCL68 09-08-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unionjack (Post 149870)
How far do you want to go... that is not a leading question... talking range and purpose. Rig to rig and some reasonable range get a dual band maybe consider APRS all add up $$. If you plan on long range go for the general license and go for a HF set up like Jon has (SpJon) very cool set up.

:iagree

shuly 09-08-2011 11:49 PM

UnionJack 09-08-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuly (Post 149890)
That's why I posted that doc from the ARRL back in April. It explains what stuff is and what things do on the radio so when you do go shopping you know what a VFO and other things are. That document also gives you stuff to think about regarding what type of operation you want to do, the number of memories you really need, etc...I really encourage hams who haven't bought equipment yet to take a look at it. It isn't too much reading if you are only looking for basic-technician level equipment. Just read until get to the HF section (unless you are upgrading your lic and looking for other equipment).

Best of luck to everyone going for there test!!! Hopefully we will have several new hams on this run! :rockon:

That would mean searching... :flipoff::jester:

shuly 09-08-2011 11:58 PM

the_josh 09-08-2011 11:58 PM

now that were talking about licenses, can someone tell me what this is?

i got it back in 2003 when i was in aeronautics school, i paid a few hundred for the classes and then took several tests. haven't used it since, maybe someone can help me out?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...n/file-155.jpg

shuly 09-09-2011 12:15 AM

the_josh 09-09-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unionjack (Post 149870)

Rig to rig, and enough distance to help if needed when I'm out in the boondocks. I don't plan on contacting or chatting on it as a hobby

fatkins 09-09-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_josh (Post 149896)
Rig to rig, and enough distance to help if needed when I'm out in the boondocks. I don't plan on contacting or chatting on it as a hobby

I'm taking the technicians test tomorrow. As extra motivation picked up a Yaesu 350R yesterday. Like you, thinking car to car communication but safety (when traveling alone) is also a concern so may upgrade to HF.

MCL68 09-09-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkins (Post 149903)
I'm taking the technicians test tomorrow. As extra motivation picked up a Yaesu 350R yesterday. Like you, thinking car to car communication but safety (when traveling alone) is also a concern so may upgrade to HF.

Good luck on the test! And good choice in radios....you'll love the Yaesu.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnionJack 09-09-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_josh (Post 149896)
I'm out in the boondocks.

How far are the boondocks? The Ruby, Big Bear or Moab? If that is as far from civilization as you will get then just get the tech. lic. and either the Kenwood or Yeasu with an assortment of antennas (short stubby for off road, longer dual band for range). With that set up you should be able to hit repeaters. If you plan on getting further away from civilization and not within range of repeaters then go HF.