Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

Toyota 120 Platforms Forum (http://www.toyota120.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outfitting (http://www.toyota120.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pelfreybilt Battery Cage (http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29487)

A10MileHusker 12-19-2016 07:53 PM

Pelfreybilt Battery Cage

Purchased a Battery Cage from Pelfreybilt. Looking forward to it getting here but I heard that the cage is actually not recommended as it can drain your battery faster.

I was told that anything holding a battery shouldn't be aluminum as it drains batteries.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Jeffy 12-20-2016 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A10MileHusker (Post 211389)
Purchased a Battery Cage from Pelfreybilt. Looking forward to it getting here but I heard that the cage is actually not recommended as it can drain your battery faster.

I was told that anything holding a battery shouldn't be aluminum as it drains batteries.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Really? I've never heard anything about that... All of Apple's laptops are made out of aluminum and their batteries are just fine. Not to mention phones, flashlights, etc made with aluminum.
I'm curious how aluminum is supposed to affect the battery, and yet a steel or iron cage doesn't? Makes no sense to me. Not being condescending, genuinely curious here

Mikestang 12-20-2016 10:57 AM

I'm no electrical engineer or physics professional, but I can't think of how anything external to the battery (besides temperature) that is not in contact with the electrodes would have any effect on charge.

bulldog 12-20-2016 12:39 PM

May be more of a corrosion issue. It won't make a difference in the battery holding a charge, but the aluminum and the steel body which it contacts will have a much higher rate of corrosion if any battery acid or vapor gets out. Think galvanic corrosion.

Getting a sealed AGM type battery should neutralize this issue. Or place some type of sealant between the body and the cage. Or do both.

A10MileHusker 12-21-2016 12:29 PM

I too was shocked when I heard this and had the same thoughts as you all. To me, it made no sense.

In the thread where this came up, a couple others had the same comments to the indvidual who started this theory:

Quote:

For what it's worth I wasn't able to substantiate this claim through some quick research after I read it yesterday. Every machine I've ever designed incorporates a metal battery tray though usually sheet steel not aluminum and companies have been making metal battery trays forever. I would think that if this was an actual phenomena that it would be more common knowledge. I think automotive OEM's do it more for cost reasons than anything else.
Quote:

Galvanic corrosion occurs when 2 different metals are in direct contact. A steel washer against an aluminum plate, for example, will corrode quickly.

No metals really like battery acid, though. Battery trays are usually plastic because they don't react with spilled or seeping battery acid.

Using your aluminum cage would be fine, so long as it's isolated from the steel body of the 4Runner, with plastic or rubber bushings. I'd also recommend a plastic tray in the bottom to collect any spilled battery acid, like OEMs do.
My guess is it's bogus and should be good to go as you all seem to agree with me.

Looking forward to getting this installed! :drink:

Jeffy 12-21-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A10MileHusker (Post 211419)
I too was shocked when I heard this and had the same thoughts as you all. To me, it made no sense.

In the thread where this came up, a couple others had the same comments to the indvidual who started this theory:

My guess is it's bogus and should be good to go as you all seem to agree with me.

Looking forward to getting this installed! :drink:

Yea, weird. The ONLY instance I know of where aluminum affects battery life is when aluminum blocks radio signals, which makes the device struggle more to connect and therefore reduces battery. I can't imagine any other instance where it would be affected.
Have fun with the new part!