View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I have used dual band mostly for the second band to drive APRS. APRS was connected to the GPS, and it was a really nice feature when with other that had this enabled as you could see them on the GPS. Made it easy to find each other.

Used dual band only a few times to monitor a repeater while still simplex with the group. This is handy, but not used it very much.

90% + of the time used 1 band in the 2m range to communicate with others in the group. The other features are only handy if others have them as well, but in our past it just never saw much adoption.

Really depends if your wheeling groups are starting to use the other features i.e. repeaters by areas for events, APRS, etc. We talked about it a lot on 120, but it never got traction here, maybe other groups. Though in my experience it is hard enough to get people ot get hams and licenses never mind the expanded features/benefits.

I have been wheeling with a lot of other groups in the past two years. No-one uses the other features. Many have handhelds. Like you say, trying to get everyone to use HAM is a struggle. Hell we even know people who have had HAM radios for years and still dont have a licence lol .

Im thinking of just keeping what I have, updating my repeater bands, upgrading my stock music radio to Bluetooth, camera, single DIN, and placing my HAM in the spare single DIN space. Single DIN wont give much of a screen size for the camera, but will come in handy for backup with a 40" wheel on the back!

I love the idea of the additional features, but like you say, not having others with the same features makes it less than functional.
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote