Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
jmurphy4
Rookie

Default Perkins Performance's New Front and Rear Bumpers

I have been a lurker around here for a while and got some great ideas from various members. I bought a used 03 sport recently and have been itching to mod it. I'm up at Ft. Lewis in WA and found a guy who does custom work for Jeeps and various other vehicles. I talked to him about doing a front and rear bumper for a 4th gen and he was stoked. I was planning on doing coilovers first and bumping up the tires but he gave me a great deal to let him use my vehicle to test out a few ideas. I leave for Iraq in a month so I jumped at the chance to get them done. Besides, after deployment I should have the extra cash to finish any more mods I want to do (coilovers, sliders, tires, etc.). Anyway the front just went on today and the rear should go on tomorrow. The work was done by Jason Perkins at Perkins Performance out of Puyallup, WA.

The 4runner had some cosmetic mods when I bought it. I took off the bull bar asap, am going to remove the running boards, and am debating whether to dump the bug guard and mesh grill.
jmurphy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
daPitbull
Senior Driver

I like how the lower fog lights look factory. Not sure I like the fogs on top of the stinger bar though. Can't wait to see the rear bumper. Looks good!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Blowout
Senior Driver

Stay safe while in Iraq. My family thanks you for taking the time to serve your country.

The front bumper looks great. It's difficult though to see the details with the pic as it is shadowed out. Seems to be similar to SW bumper styling. If you have more pics that would be great.

The placement of the driving lights could take some getting use to. If they obscure your vision, you can flip them underneath later I suppose. With your cool weather in WA you should not be concerned with blocking wind to the radiator.

Interested to see what the rear bumper looks like. Maybe you can have some pics done while installing if it is not too much trouble.
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Josh220
Old Timer

It looks good!

I would move the lights down below the center hoop though.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

Nice. Looks like the factory bumper lights were reused. I like the mesh grill. Not sure about he bug guard as the pic isn't clear.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
java230
Old Timer

wow i just saw your car in his CL add and almost emailed him about it! can i ask how much? im in seattle so hes not too far
java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
bulldog
Admin

Very cool to get a guy to build these bumpers for you.

A couple of suggestions on the front:
- Get a skid to cover from the lower bumper to the stock skid area, don't leave your radiator exposed in that lower area.
- Figure out a different tube assembly, it sits a bit high on the top. Also see if you can get hoops to protect the lights and sides of the fender area.
- As above see if you can move the lights to mount on the bumper itself.

Can't wait to see the progress, especially the rear bumper. Getting tire carrier, etc??

All of the best with your deployment.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Photog
Old Timer

A local manufacturer would be great.

I'm going to look into this also. I'm just over in Gig Harbor, WA.

I would do mine with a lower hoop too. Then protect the lights extra lights by placing them inside the hoop. I know there are reasons for having the lights higher. I would put mine up on the roof, to get hte height, instead of blocking my view up front. That's just me.

I really like the factory fog & signal lights being mounted in the bumper. Was he able to retain the adjustability for the fog lights?

Lastly: Thank you, thank you, for beeing on the front line for all of us.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
I know there are reasons for having the lights higher. I would put mine up on the roof, to get hte height, instead of blocking my view up front. That's just me.
Brian: heads up on putting lights on the roof line. The tree branches in the NW love to tug and tug on them, so make sure they are mounted firmly and, if possible, fab a frame around them. Also, many trails are cut to "jeep" height and low hanging fallen trees will be an issue. As a result, I've contemplated removing the roof basket and the lights, but it's so convenient that it still remains. A chain saw is on my list of tools to buy one day.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
jmurphy4
Rookie

Thanks for the well wishes. The rear went on yesterday but the powdercoater screwed up the jerry can and hilift mount. I agree on the lights, I am going to move them down to the bumper itself. It's going to be another month before it is completed as I have leave coming up. These are some of the pics he sent me. The rest can be found on his site. (Not sure if I'm breaking any rules by posting that.) Anyone in the Seattle area that is interested can check out my runner if they like. I'm up in Seattle as much as possible, just to get off base.

http://www.perkinsperformance.com/projects.html

I'll take some pics of my own later.

Last edited by jmurphy4; 08-10-2009 at 12:10 PM.
jmurphy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Blowout
Senior Driver

I like the rear bumper as well. Very cool.
Thanks for adding the link to Perkins website.

It seems they brought the width out a bit to match the fender flare instead of the body conture. Perhaps that matches the front better that way. It would also give you a bit of added protection for your rear qtr panel in case your rear end slides around and bumps into something.

There is also a decent gap between the bumper and the body to allow for flex.

It will be interesting to find out how the tire and can rack pivot points are constructed and the latch. I just found it on their website under Products. Oil impregneated bronze bushing for the hinge.

It also looks like the stock trailer hitch is replaced with an in bumper design. I like how the hitch is elevated more now...or so it seems. Can you make a measurement from the bottom of the hitch to the ground and provide your rear suspension lift height and tires? This will provide a good reference.

This company looks like a good find. Seems this isn't the first set of bumpers they have built.
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...

Last edited by Blowout; 08-10-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

Interesting style for a rear bumper. You'll probably want to relocate the licence plate holder. Looking forward to more pictures when the jerry can(s) and High-Lift is installed. Be safe on your deployment!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Neat bumpers. Would be interested in more detail/close-up picts with better contrast (the black in those photos just all blends together for me).
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear SA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Neat bumpers. Would be interested in more detail/close-up picts with better contrast (the black in those photos just all blends together for me).
no sun in Seattle to see contrast...need some artificial lighting
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

Nice... But those bumper lights need to go under the hoops and those smiley face light covers gotta go!! My .. Other than that, lookin good. I'd like to c a 33" or 35" on the rear bumper
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
FluByU
Driver

Looks good!!
FluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
chiplee
Driver

I just stumbled on perkinsperformance.com last night and was about to post about it. Glad I searched first. Also glad to see the owner of the runner on his site here at toyota120.

As luck would have it, I was googling "4th gen 4runner winch bumper" for about the 500th time hoping someone, somewhere was finally offering a reasonably priced alternative to shrockworks and ARB.

I think this guy's doing it. I spoke to him today and got a few more pictures. I'm ordering one. I had the same inputs a couple other people had about protection from the bottom of the bumper to the front skid and the lights on top of the bar. I also wanted the front bar lower than he has it. I love the fact that he went to the trouble to incorporate the factory lights. Should make installation much less troublesome and much less expensive.

Price is $825 w/ hoop and w/powder coating. Linex is a little more, which is what I'm getting, and of course there will be shipping to deal with, but still, probably a grand to your door, finished, and ready to bolt on, sounds solid.

Mounts look "Beefy", and once he's done with mine I think he'll have the mount built to accommodate stock or lifted bodies.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/chipleeiii/sig-2.jpg '04 LTD V8 4x4 | King Resi CO's | Budbuilt Skids | DO Bumper | Icon UCA's | 4.88's | Rear ARB Locker | Crozfab tire carrier | 1.5" BL | DO Sliders | 35" Toyos | Borla Exhaust | Rockford Punch 500 | 2x 10" JL subs | Vais SL2VI NAV Video Ipod Interface | HAM radio, front LCA's and Big Brakes coming soon.
chiplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
java230
Old Timer

when i get around to the funds for a bumper i think this is the direction im going. he is local to me also. but so is arb. if they get a scratch and dent well see.....
java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
Blowout
Senior Driver

I wonder if they will do the round fogs only in the bumper to accomidate the '06+ models.

I think this bumper looks a bit cleaner without the extra marker light to the bumper the Shrockworks has.

Anyone know what the weight is?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
chiplee
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout View Post
I wonder if they will do the round fogs only in the bumper to accomidate the '06+ models.
He's familiar, and yes.

Quote:

Anyone know what the weight is?
Approximately 150lbs if I'm not mistaken.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/chipleeiii/sig-2.jpg '04 LTD V8 4x4 | King Resi CO's | Budbuilt Skids | DO Bumper | Icon UCA's | 4.88's | Rear ARB Locker | Crozfab tire carrier | 1.5" BL | DO Sliders | 35" Toyos | Borla Exhaust | Rockford Punch 500 | 2x 10" JL subs | Vais SL2VI NAV Video Ipod Interface | HAM radio, front LCA's and Big Brakes coming soon.
chiplee is offline   Reply With Quote