Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #21
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Just to throw this put there...
With my recent body lift my VSC and TRAC lights are on now and today I found out my steering angle sensor is not working properly. Will know more after I consult with a Master Diagnostician next week.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", PRO-520XL CB, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Garmin 276c, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
ligboozer
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies, this is a great site. I removed the yaw rate sensor yesterday - looks fine all connections are clean and sound does anyone know of a way to test the sensor? 4mudder let me know what you find out. Do you happen to know what codes were recorded? I see how some sort of lift could cause the lights to come on and the steering sensor be affected by that, but my rig is all stock and according to the codes I have on my work order the diagnostics say yaw rate sensor.
ligboozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #23
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I am positive Mudder has a different issue - his steering shaft is just out one rotation - he needs to check his thread. Sorry - wish yours was as easy to fix as I believe Mudders will be.
04 4R SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35"s, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Forerunner Fab Panhard, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, Garmin Nuvi GPS, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback, Budbuilt
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Mark is right, my issue is the steering position sensor and yours is yaw and such. My problem was verified by the Toyota tech who BTW had his laptop plugged in for an hour but didn't charge me a penny. There is decency in the world.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", PRO-520XL CB, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Garmin 276c, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
[i]"VSC TRAC & VSC OFF Lights

More detail at... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...threadid=32818
After a visit to the dealership for a new exhaust manifold the "Check Engine" light, THe "VSC TRAC" & "VSC OFF" lights all came on on the way home.

It turned out there were two different problems.

1.) The O2 Sensor was not securely attached. When I plugged it in all the way in the check engine light went out.

2.) THe "VSC TRAC" & "VSC OFF" problem was solved by re-calibrating the zero point calibration for the yaw rate and deceleration sensors.

I highly recommend reading this post on 4runner.org for more information:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...threadid=32818
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #26
Tucson T4R
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
After a visit to the dealership for a new exhaust manifold the "Check Engine" light, THe "VSC TRAC" & "VSC OFF" lights all came on on the way home.

It turned out there were two different problems.

1.) The O2 Sensor was not securely attached. When I plugged it in all the way in the check engine light went out.

2.) THe "VSC TRAC" & "VSC OFF" problem was solved by re-calibrating the zero point calibration for the yaw rate and deceleration sensors.

I highly recommend reading this post on 4runner.org for more information:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...threadid=32818
Another victim here. I noticed the VSC Trac and VSC Off indicators were on after getting my emmissions checked for the first time. When I took it to the dealer the first thing they asked was if I had my emmisions recently tested. It's a known problem that the VSC system gets messed up sometimes when the scanner is attached. The dealer said Toyota is aware of the problem and they are doing the adjustment at no charge for me.

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
Springs: OME 886/895
Shocks: OME N140S/N142S
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/KO
Dual batteries
Shrockworks Bumper and Sliders
Ramsey 9500 Synthetic Wireless Winch
Tucson T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
fearghal
Rookie

I've got a similar but not identical issue with my '05 V6 4WD...

It goes like this.. When I start the car everything is normal [no warning lights of any kind]. If I put the car in drive and start driving in a straight line everything stays good... When I turn the wheel I get solid slip indicator, TRAC and VSC OFF lights.

Turning the car of and starting it again resets everything. I've also noticed that I can cause the lights to come on by just starting the car, leaving it in park and turning the wheels.

There is no check engine light and I'm not getting any codes when I hook up an OBD reader. With the engine running I have gone through all the wires that connect to the sensors on the front hubs, jiggled them and not been able to recreate the issue.

ABS still works but TRAC and VSC are definitely not [pretty fun actually].

Any thoughts much appreciated!
fearghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
limage_20
Rookie

I have and 05 sport edition v8 and had the same problem all it end up bing was the gas cap was bad. Try that and let me know if it works.
limage_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by limage_20 View Post
I have and 05 sport edition v8 and had the same problem all it end up bing was the gas cap was bad. Try that and let me know if it works.
Was your check engine light on as well or only the ABS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC lights?
I'm lit up.
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
RanchoRunner
Rookie

Blowout, your picture of lights looks exactly like mine did recently when I was towing my 5,000 lb. trailer for the first time with my T4R. The lights weren't on when I started driving, but came on soon after -- got off the freeway and cycled the ignition off/on, and they reset and didn't come on again until I started the drive back home a couple days later. I have a 3" Toytec ULK and 33" tires -- otherwise pretty much stock. I've heard Toyota knows about this problem -- something to do with the weight distributing anti-sway hitch messing with the yaw sensor??

I'd really like to know if there's a fix....
Toytec 3" ULK/Bilstein 5100's, BFG 285/70R17 KM2's on FJC wheels, Total Chaos UCA's & lower link skids, BudBuilt full skids, AllPro 1.25" wheel adapters, Pioneer AVIC-X920BT, Kenwood TM-V71A, Cobra 75WXST, TruControl Silver trailer brake controller, LED dome lights, Removed Running Boards. Demello 3-hoop front bumper, ACRO & PIAA lights
RanchoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #31
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoRunner View Post
Blowout, your picture of lights looks exactly like mine did recently when I was towing my 5,000 lb. trailer for the first time with my T4R. The lights weren't on when I started driving, but came on soon after -- got off the freeway and cycled the ignition off/on, and they reset and didn't come on again until I started the drive back home a couple days later. I have a 3" Toytec ULK and 33" tires -- otherwise pretty much stock. I've heard Toyota knows about this problem -- something to do with the weight distributing anti-sway hitch messing with the yaw sensor??

I'd really like to know if there's a fix....
I'd like to know if there is one as well... haven't had the time to even look at any possibilities. I've just been ignoring the light show...
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #32
Carl44
Driver

There seems to be two different threads going on about this at the same time, so I'll copy what I said elsewhere:

A possible easy, short-term solution:

1) Disconnect Negative battery lead for 30 seconds.

If lights are off when you reconnect & start up, then:

2) Get new gas cap (Toyoto OEM)

Problem may be solved. This fixed my ongoing issue with these lights.
Good luck.
2 Labradors
Carl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
Blowout
Senior Driver

Thanks...I've disconnected the batteries more than once since I was welding and it had no effect. Haven't tried the gas cap swap...

Mine comes on when I press on the brakes and not before. I can be parked and press on the brakes and the light come on.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout View Post
Thanks...I've disconnected the batteries more than once since I was welding and it had no effect. Haven't tried the gas cap swap...

Mine comes on when I press on the brakes and not before. I can be parked and press on the brakes and the light come on.
In my case, it turned out that an old gas cap doesn't seal properly, causing a pressure loss, which actually sets of the VSC / TRAC lights. The new cap fixed it.

Also, in my case, disconnecting the battery would usually but not always reset the lights to off for a while.
2 Labradors
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #35
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl44 View Post
In my case, it turned out that an old gas cap doesn't seal properly, causing a pressure loss, which actually sets of the VSC / TRAC lights. The new cap fixed it.

Also, in my case, disconnecting the battery would usually but not always reset the lights to off for a while.
My lights are off after the engine starts, but after I hit the brakes they go on. Not always the first time the brakes are pressed.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout View Post
My lights are off after the engine starts, but after I hit the brakes they go on. Not always the first time the brakes are pressed.
Maybe there is a vacuum relationship. A new Toyota OEM cap is about $20.00. I'd try a new one. It may not fix it but it's a very cheap possibility.

I'd install the new cap, then disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then reconnect and drive a while and see what happens.

Let us know if you try it.
2 Labradors
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
Blowout
Senior Driver

Gas cap had no effect...but unplugging the brake light switch connector and replugging it did... all the lights are off.

Getting the front aligned I was told my break light switch was bad when these codes came up; C1223 - ABS malfunction and C1249 - open circuit in stop light switch circuit.

Read in a post on a Lexus forum with the same code issue and replacing the brake light switch corrected the problem. One post said they cleaned the connector and the situation was corrected. So before buying a switch, I just disconnected and reconnected the connector. Going to and from the store with a couple of stops in between, the lights never came on. They had been on for months prior to this.

Time to buy some contact cleaner...