Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Communications

Unread 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #41
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

Thanks Mark.

You and everyone else are going to be my HAM mentors!
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #42
UnionJack
Old Timer

Ok just went back a page and it's already been posted so delete.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #43
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

I finally bought the HAM radio license manual to study. Really need to get moving on getting my HAM license and HAM radio setup. So I was reading that the license is only good for 10 years. So you have to pay to retake the test again every 10 years?

Last edited by BajaRnnr; 04-24-2012 at 09:06 PM.
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #44
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
I finally bought the HAM radio license manual to study. Really need to get moving on getting the Tech license and HAM radio setup. So I was reading that the license is only good for 10 years. So you have to pay to retake the test again every 10 years?
No, you just pay a renewal fee. No test necessary unless you're upgrading your license class.
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #45
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL_68 View Post
No, you just pay a renewal fee. No test necessary unless you're upgrading your license class.
I beg your pardon:

Licensing

Common Filing Task: Renewing a License
No Fee Charged
Filing Electronically using the Universal Licensing System
Filing Manually
You may use FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to apply for renewal of your amateur operator/primary station license grant, including those station license grants within the grace period. Use purpose RO (Renew Only) for this. If it is necessary to also modify your name or mailing address shown on your amateur operator/primary station license grant, use purpose RM (Renew/Modify). If you are not requesting a call sign change, file the Main form only. (Club or military recreation stations need to file through a Club Station Call Sign Administrator. See the Public Notice on CSCSAs (text). RACES stations are no longer being renewed.)
You may receive a license expiration notification from an entity, but you are not required to use its services. File for renewal 30-60 days, but no more than 90 days, before your license expiration date. 47 CFR Section 97.21, provides that when your application for renewal has been received by the FCC on or before the license expiration date, your operating authority is continued until the final disposition of your application. If your license expires, you may apply for renewal of the license for another term during a two-year filing grace period. The application document must be received by the FCC on or before the end of the grace period. Unless and until the license is renewed, no amateur operator or station operating privileges are conferred. Applications received after the grace period has ended cannot be granted.
Section 1.913(f) requires that all applications, other than applications that must be filed through a VEC, may be submitted manually to the address below in number 11.
Until Vanity licenses become renewable, there is no fee for renewing your amateur operator/primary station license grant.

Filing Electronically using the Universal Licensing System
You may renew your license through the Universal Licensing System (ULS) at any time within 90 days of the expiration date for the license and up to two years after the license expires.
To renew, go to the ULS Home, select Online Filing, and follow the instructions below.
Login to the ULS License Manager with your FCC Registration Number (FRN).
From your License At A Glance page, choose the Renew link in the right hand menu called Work on this License. When your license is within the renewal period of 90 days before the expiration date until the expiration date, or within the 2 year grace period allowed there after the Renew link will appear. If your license is not eligible for renewal the link will not appear.
On the Select Updates page, review the licensee information displayed beneath the table of license information. If any of the data is missing or out of date you must update it. Click on the box to the left of the Licensee Information heading to insert a checkbox and select it.
When ready click Continue.
Answer the questions on the Applicant Questions page, and click Continue when ready.
On the Licensee Information page, review and update all of your licensee information. Make any corrections that are necessary.
On the Summary page review the information you have entered. If you wish to make additional changes, click the Edit button next to the section of your application you wish to Edit. You will be able to return to that page of the application. Make the desired change and select the Return to Summary button.
When ready to submit your update to the Commission, choose the Continue to Certify button.
After reading the certification, enter your first and last names in the boxes at the bottom of the page. You MUST sign the application. When finished choose the Submit Application button.
From the ULS Confirmation screen, we recommend you print a copy of your application and/or the Confirmation screen itself from your web browser.
Note: The address and contact information you have entered in CORES registration will not be automatically associated with your licenses. To change the address or other contact information on your license, you must update your information in ULS or submit Form 605 manually.

Unread 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #46
MCL68
Super Moderator

Really? nice copy and paste.
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #47
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Really? nice copy and paste.
Really, I did more than that. I selected the pertinent part of a sentence and made the font bigger and made it red to really high light my point... my point, that you were wrong Smart arse

Unread 04-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #48
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Really, I did more than that. I selected the pertinent part of a sentence and made the font bigger and made it red to really high light my point... my point, that you were wrong Smart arse
OK, the rule changed in 2010. There is a fee if you have a vanity call sign.....meaning you. So there!

This is copy and pasting!

Submitting Your Application
  • With an FRN and password, log into the FCC's Universal Licensing System webpage to renew your license. You'll also need your radio service code and call sign or serial number. Select the license you wish to renew, and review the Licensee Information to ensure that your information is current and correct.
    After answering some basic questions regarding your type of license and application purpose, there will be a final chance to review your contact and license information. Verify this information and electronically sign your application by typing your first and last name in the indicated boxes.
  • As of 2010, there is no fee for renewing your ham radio license unless you have been issued a Vanity call sign, in which case there is a small renewal fee per call sign

Read more: How Do I Renew My Ham Radio Operator's License on the Computer? | eHow.com

Last edited by MCL68; 04-26-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #49
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
OK, the rule changed in 2010. There is a fee if you have a vanity call sign.....meaning you. So there!
We were not talking about me

Nice copy and pate BTW

Unread 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #50
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
We were not talking about me

Nice copy and pate BTW
The information has been corrected for the HAM record. Now everyone knows what to expect when their licenses expire.

Yeah, the copy and paste was a rush job.
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #51
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
The information has been corrected for the HAM record. Now everyone knows what to expect when their licenses expire.

Yeah, the copy and paste was a rush job.
So diplomatic... I'll shut up now for diplomacy sake

Unread 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #52
4RunnerSeth
Rookie

My FT-8000 / HU install. It came out good. Will have to see how the FT-8000 Handles being enclosed like that. there is a decent amount of air around it.

I have since made a custom trim piece for this setup. will post a pic later if anyone is interested.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_IMG_20120626_191355.jpg (97.3 KB, 97 views)
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #53
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerSeth View Post
My FT-8000 / HU install. It came out good. Will have to see how the FT-8000 Handles being enclosed like that. there is a decent amount of air around it.

I have since made a custom trim piece for this setup. will post a pic later if anyone is interested.
I am curious.

How does it perform while mobile, any noise from the Runner, ECU etc.?

Last edited by UnionJack; 07-03-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #54
4RunnerSeth
Rookie

Quote:
I am curious.

How does it perform while mobile, any noise from the Runner, ECU etc.?
I have no idea actually! .. I bought an antenna mount to go on my baja rack, but no baja rack yet It i supposed to come in on thursday. will let you know when i get everything mounted, But havnt had any trouble with radios in my old tacoma or FJ. I should be up on the 147.195 repeater this weekend on the camping trip. Not sure if I will be able to hit it from our camping spot, but will be on during most the drive up.

Last edited by 4RunnerSeth; 07-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
4RunnerSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
Bahnstoermer
Driver

Hey guys, I just passed the Technician exam and am doing tons of research for a setup. My question is, has anyone tried a through glass mount for VHF/UHF on the 4th gens to know if it's a reasonable setup or not?

It sucks and it doesn't... wherein lies the truth LOL?

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1062?page=2

vs.

http://www.k0bg.com/options.html#glass

Last edited by Bahnstoermer; 11-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Bahnstoermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #56
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnstoermer View Post
Hey guys, I just passed the Technician exam and am doing tons of research for a setup. My question is, has anyone tried a through glass mount for VHF/UHF on the 4th gens to know if it's a reasonable setup or not?

vs.

Congrats on getting your ticket.

The advice in your link answers your question.

Glass Mounts

Virtually every vehicle made today uses passivated glass. Embedded in the glass are metallic particles which serve several purposes. First, they block most UV rays which lessens fading of the interior trim pieces, and they reduce the heat load. Less air conditioning, better fuel mileage. To a lessor degree, the metallic particles act as RF shield for the digital electronics inside the vehicle. It is this latter property which makes glass mount antennas nearly worthless, as they rely on capacitive coupling. What's more, glass mount antennas do not have a ground plane under them. This causes the return currents to flow on the outside of the coax. In fact, the coax does the majority of the radiation. Larsen, the largest maker of glass mounts, doesn't recommend mounting them on passivated glass. The best advice I can give anyone about using glass mount antennas is this; don't!

The majority of operators here are using clamp style mounts (ie) Diamond K400 series. They are more versatile, mount it to the hatch, hood, anywhere that is flat you can clamp the mount to. An NMO mount is not very forgiving, a hard mount NMO base, requires a hole to be drilled in the roof. If you change your mind about the antenna location you'll be left with a hole in the roof, but can be plugged.

Just my .
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #57
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnstoermer View Post

vs.

Congrats on your ticket.

He's my but keep in mind I am no expert but the thought I had was that the most useful window to mount it on would be one of the quarter glasses and they both have antennas for the radio on them. Again not sure if this would impact the signal in or out but just a thought of what may cause a problem.

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #58
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Sweet Baby Jesus and Friends! I just past my tech exam with 100%... Then failed my General missing either 13 or 15 questions. LoL. Now I can legally chat with you guys and be somewhat cooler. Well in about a week maybe Wednesday if nobody is asleep.
Facebook: VC Cao

Build thread : http://tundrageeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048
Sprung17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #59
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprung17 View Post
Sweet Baby Jesus and Friends! I just past my tech exam with 100%... Then failed my General missing either 13 or 15 questions. LoL. Now I can legally chat with you guys and be somewhat cooler. Well in about a week maybe Wednesday if nobody is asleep.
Hallelujah! Congrats Vinh, you kept your word and actually got your license....... instead of just talking about getting it one day.

Post up and let us know what your callsign is. It's totally up to you, if you want to post it publicly or not.
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #60
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL68 View Post
Hallelujah! Congrats Vinh, you kept your word and actually got your license....... instead of just talking about getting it one day.

Post up and let us know what your callsign is. It's totally up to you, if you want to post it publicly or not.
That last trip got me motivated again. Is there a particular site that shows what vanity call signs are available?
Facebook: VC Cao

Build thread : http://tundrageeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048
Sprung17 is offline   Reply With Quote