Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 06-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #1
TOY2G
Driver

Default GX Build for Summit 2016

Day two and neck deep. We just picked this GX up 2 days ago. Long story short, we adopted a kid. I already have 3 sons so the new RX we bought last year was not going to cut it. So we dumped the RX, and got this with 3rd row.

Many parts already on order, but don't forget I'm in the middle of our 2015 TE build at the moment also.

Build list so far
-TOYTEC BOSS 2.0 Lift Kit (Ordered)
-Timberland AT Tires 285-70-17 (WIP)
-Direct Wired Garmin NuviCam (Installed)
-Lexus DVD Entertainment system (for the road trip) (Installed)
-Rocktek Link Armor (Ordered)
-PRG 9000lbs Winch W/SYN Line (In hand)
-Baja Designs Driving Lights (In hand)
-Under Cover Hidden Winch Mount (WIP)
-PRG Prado Snorkel (In hand)
-Flex Mount Trailer Brakes (Ordered)
-Hefty Fabworks Sliders (TBA)
-ARB Roof Rack (In hand)
-ARB Twin Compressor (In hand)
-LED interior Bulb Conversion......because the SUN is awesome installed)

Everything but the sliders are in the works. Got talk to Chris to see what we have for options. This will not be a fast build like my wife's 2013, I will likely wait for everything to show up before I do any of the "real" modding. This will be ready for Jambo and Summit this year and likely will be at just as many events as the new TE.

Mod #1....can you see it?

Lighting upgrades:
So I'm getting a slow start to the build. I cannot muster the nerve to cut the fender yet and I'm still working out the details for some larger components. I did spool the synthetic line on the winch and the Factor55 thimble made it in, but I still have not nailed down how I am doing the winch mount. Not sure if I should order a 4th gen 4Runner mount and modify it to fit, or just build my own.

What I have gotten done is the LED interior/exterior lighting.

One of the most important bulbs for me is the Backup bulbs (Part Number 7440). Not an easy sway in the GX, so let me make a suggestion or three.

1) you do want to replace these often because they are hard to get to.
2) don't buy the cheapest bulb you can find just because it says it has a million lumen.
3) Cree and Epistar are both good options, but make sure they are legit (not knockoffs) and make sure they are the ones with the built in aluminum heat sinks.

this is what I am using.

The running board lights, rear dome, cargo area and courtesy lights are all 194 bulbs. As a personal preference I use CAN Bus bulbs because there is more contact other than just a little wire on each pole. IMHO, the CAN Bus bulbs are a more reliable bulb and not as finicky.

Here are the bulbs I used.

Lastly are the map light bulbs (part number BA9S) these bulbs are a throw back to the old chrome Phillips 2C flashlights. they are a push and twist mini globe bulb. There are not a lot of option for this style bulb. So just pick a true Cree or Epistar bulb and hope for the best.

In future post we will get to the Baja Designs from Flush Mount bumper lights. But for now, movement on the build is rather slow. over the next 5 weeks or so the larger mods will progress...

Oh, I nearly forgot. Since we are going to be working closely with Timberland Tire Company (Timberland Boot Company) and their "green" approach to tire sales. We added a little brandign to the GX.

WARNING: long winded story below.

I wont waste your time with the details, but I had a climbing accident back in the early 2000s and fell over 40 feet (bouncing of out-croppings a couple times on the way down) I landed flat footed facing the rock wall. I happened to land upright, however I landed in loose shale rock. The landing blew out the back of my left boot and broke my ankle. BUT the boot kept me in good enough shape to climb back out of the Crooked River Canyon and walk the nearly one mile to my truck. According to the doctor, my hand me down boots saved my ankle and perhaps my life (given the fact I had let nobody know where I was going and there is ZERO access to the bottom of the canyon). as I'm sure you have guessed by now the old boots were Timberland Boots. and thus starting my obsession with the brand.

Fast forward 20 years and you will fine me with a timberland collection that surpasses most timberland retail locations. Not the Timberland you see in hip-hop videos, more the Timberland you wear to go camping or our to a nice dinner. I have been into timberland store so often in our common stomping grounds (Connecticut, Austin and Pennsylvanian) that store manager have literally given me store fixtures bearing the Timberland logo or namesake.

Two years ago I was at the SEMA show in Vegas and happen to be present for the press release where Timberland announced they are getting into the tire business. I made some friends, shared some stories and by chance and luck found myself in a position to promote the brand.

So... I have a "Timberland Room" at my house. Honestly it's the den, but still by most standards, it is in fact a room.

2015 TE PREM w/Nav & KDSS--2013 SR5--2009 gx470----1983 Hilux w/Lexus V8--2001 Tundra SR5

Last edited by TOY2G; 06-22-2016 at 06:06 AM.
TOY2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
TOY2G
Driver

The full install with pics will be avail on the Toytec site soon, so I will not waste space here with a full install write up. I do have a rough draft in Powerpoint for if someone needs it.

A few things worth mention:
-You must remove the two Air suspension fuses before you begin.
-The sensors on the front and rear shock cannot be used after the conversion
-Your “off” light will flash on the air ride dash indicator
-You do not have to remove the compressor and or wiring

We started the install around 11:00

We chase to go with the New Timberland Tires 285-70-17, we used the Pmetric this time as apposed to the LT. I chose this route simply to save rotating mass and perhaps retain a little MPG.

With OEM wheels and upper control arms, the 285s did fit with about inch of space at the closest point in travel. It’s enough space for sure, but I will however still install a set of the total chaos upper control arms in the coming weeks.

Lastly, here is a before and after, a very mild build for sure. I have not adjusted the ride height yet. I will not crank the front past 2” if I do not need to, but I must wait for the rear spring to settle first.

I did not take many pictures because it was all about time today. The template fit perfect, the holes only had to be drilled to 1/2 not 9/16 like normal and the snorkel fit the body lines.

I did not install the A-Pillar bracket because I did not want holes (a new home for rust) in the truck. I will build an extended bracket and use automotive grade adhesive to secure the bracket.

Turns out removing the "TEMS" fuse from the dash fuse panel takes care of the flashing "off" light. Problem solved.

I redecorated the lift bay to help make our sponsors feel happy and then proceeded with the build.

(Disclaimer) We were sent a set of these upper control arms for evaluation. I cannot in good conscious recommend these arms to the average builder. There are too many issues that must be addressed. For instance, the sleeves are too short inside the bushings, The washer for the joint are too small, and the quality of the bushings and hardware are still to be determined. Also worth note, the grease zerks works to pump grease in, however they also let the grease right back out.
I replaced the sleeves and washers, ordered new zerks and am keeping a close eye on the bushings. Time will be the deciding factor in this component. The only thing that I cannot fix is the LOUD color they use. YUK

All installed and coil overs cranked up an additional 1/4 inch to get the truck closer to level.

Sat her down, tightened the main bolt and ready for a test drive. (this is where I learned the zerks blow all the grease out.

2015 TE PREM w/Nav & KDSS--2013 SR5--2009 gx470----1983 Hilux w/Lexus V8--2001 Tundra SR5
Unread 06-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
TOY2G
Driver

Sliders are not ready yet, but with the extra large plastics on the running boards I was rubbing hard with the 285s. So (even though it was not planned) we ditched the Running boards today and instantly solved all of our rubbing issues.

#1. I converted everything to LED when I first got this thing.... But the turn signals hyper-flash when you go LED. So I finally took the time to wire in the resistor to correct the problem.

Next, I decided we wanted a long roof basket. We haul all 4 kids with us when we camp and the only place for an ice chest is the roof, along with camp chairs and awning.

I did not want to spend major money on a Baja Rack for a 4th gen (the mounts are a bit different) and have to modify it to fit. I decided to go with the ROLA + Extension for a 68" basket.

I built brackets for it from some angle I had here and bought a couple u-bolts. total cost...$6

from the top

Nothing had been tightened down yet, just sitting in place to test everything.

So I got it all buttoned up around 6:30pm and took it home. It rubs pulling in the garage, but just the seal. BUT, the wife took one look at it and said she HATES it. SO i guess its coming off until I can take the time to build custom mounts and remove the OEM rails.

You live and learn.

Soooo.

Things change, and today was no different. While building the brackets for the roof rack, I had a moment of pure frustration when I did the math wrong and got the angle 180 off. I took a break and hopped on my phone to see if Sergio at Baja Rack could help. Turns out, there is a GX rack in the works as we speak and it will be ready to ship in about 6 weeks.

So I stopped making brackets. I ran to TSC and bought 12 M8x1.25 x 20mm bolts, 12 3/8 Flat washers and two boxes of part number 2101501 Gaskets(6 per box) and proceeded to do a roof rack delete (FOR NOW) so the rain does not get in the roof.

More to come in about 6 weeks

Since I dodged that bullet today, I decided to install my Hopkins Brake Controller (AVAIL HERE) Hopkins part number 47297. It lets you mount the display on the dash, the actuator on the console and the control box out of view. I have one in all of my other vehicles, so it's just one of the things I always add and seldom use.

For reference, here are some pictures of the installed product.

Actuator

Display: I'm holding the actuator so the numbers light up, when there is no trailer hooked up the display is black, when a trailer is hooked up and no brake is being pressed it just has a single dot on the screen.

Again from drivers seat

Control box mounted in drivers side kick panel

The plug is taped into the harness to the right of the steering wheel. It was necessary for me to take the knee panel off (one Philips screw and two clips) to find the plug.

So, I did not build the rack mounts I wanted, but I found out there will be two racks from Baja that will fit the GX. Wish I had checked before dumping over $350 into the Rola with extension....BUT, now I get to spend 6 times as much on a Baja Flat Rack (at least the wife will be pleased)

Unread 06-22-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
TOY2G
Driver

We have not done much with the GX the last couple weeks. It just waiting on the Baja Rack and then getting shipped off to Colorado for bumper/slider treatment.
I did manage to adapt a set of 5th gen 4runner skids on her last week. For the record, to make 5th gen skids fit, you have to drill 4 holes, buy 2 3" long bolts, 2 2" spacers and 2 1' spacers. everything else fits like it should.

As for the tires, Timberland is new to the scene. I am reserving judgement until we get a little more use out of them. What I will say is, we have used them on one camping trip and one off road play day (soggy bottom Ohio). I am certainly not disappointed. where we went was a little more sandy mud than rock. They do not clean out great on the mud, but the sand and rocks they really shine.

On road I LOVE them. We don't often run mild ATs on our rigs so this was a nice change. I would dare say they perform like a normal highway tire. No road noise (and I'm talking none), even on the packed ice. I have run them through both winter blasts we have had here and wet and ice are most certainly not an issue for them.

here is the skinny. Timberland tires are made by Cooper in the USA, I have been sponsored by and run Cooper for several years. IMHO there is not better tire being produced than Cooper, and I suspect that is the reason so many manufactures use them to build private labels (pro-comp, pep-boys, timberland, discount tire). So going into this I had some faith in the tires. The reason I have been reserved about posting up reviews is really pretty simple. One reason Cooper is so great for off road is the fact that they use compounds that other big names reserve for "race" applications. For instance, BFG makes awesome gripping and low noise tires for offroad. but unless you are a sponsored driver, you cannot get them. So when Timberland announced a tire that was "formulated" to be made into an outsole once it was done being a tire.... I had to wonder how this compound has changed from the Coopers I love. So, until I get about 25k on them, I will not know if the tire side has suffered for the sake of the shoe side.

We have used Coopers on our last 7 builds, and even though these are made by Cooper, they still have some proving to do before I give any gold stars.

I decided to take the GX out to Deer Creek this weekend for some river crossing fun. To my surprise the water was nearly 20" low despite the very wet season. Because it was low, I was able to cross to an island I have never even seen before and we had a reasonably good time.

here are some pictures (as lack luster as they are) for your viewing pleasure.

Unread 06-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
TOY2G
Driver

I am not sure anyone will find this useful, however I would have liked to know before testing it myself.

I installed 4th gen 4Runner OEM all weather floor-mats in the GX. I was not sure if they would fit, but found a set on the Forums for $30 shipped. I with I could have found the prado version or even an OEM GX version but they do not exist as far as i can tell.

The fit is fine (drivers side is about 3/4 inch shorter front to back that the cloth OEM ones). I know the 4Runner printed on them is a bit lame, but lets be honest.....it's not the lamest thing on my build.

Well my Baja rack showed up yesterday.... And today Chris Hefty (Hefty Fabworks) showed up to take the truck back to Colorado with him for bumpers, sliders and skids. We are expecting the front winch bumper to tip the scales at a whopping 55lbs(ish)....

But, the rack is on and I won't see it again until I'm in Colorado in July.

Unread 06-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
beerman
Driver

Nice setup!
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
TOY2G
Driver

My GX is under the knife at the moment. I figured I would post this teaser picture for your enjoyment.

I have more pics, but the official launch of this product is in two weeks at summit. I can tell you. it looks NOTHING like anything else on the market. I truly keeps it classy.

Unread 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
KyleH
Driver

Nice writeup. Looking forward to the progress.
KyleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
TOY2G
Driver

Unread 07-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #10
htsai14752
Rookie

Very nice build. I read baja rack for GX won't release until Nov 2016. Who makes that bumper? Will they make a production piece or only custom?
htsai14752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
gm350reratliff
Driver

Nice build! I also saw it as the Summit and was surprised how many other GX's were there. As much as I love my 4th gen 4runner, I've been tempted to swap to a GX for the V8 and extra headroom.
2014 4Runner TE
Icons, Camburg UCA's, SAW coils, Ridge Grapplers, BudBuilt sliders, some other stuff. Build thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
gm350reratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
TOY2G
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsai14752 View Post
Very nice build. I read baja rack for GX won't release until Nov 2016. Who makes that bumper? Will they make a production piece or only custom?
The bumper is Hefty Fabworks and its available on their site.
http://www.heftyfabworks.com/store/#...=0&sort=normal

As far as the Baja Rack goes, they have them in stock and have shipped a few. I know the owner and even assisted them with an install at the summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm350reratliff View Post
Nice build! I also saw it as the Summit and was surprised how many other GX's were there. As much as I love my 4th gen 4runner, I've been tempted to swap to a GX for the V8 and extra headroom.
I regretted selling my two V8 4th gens, so this one fills the hole, I still like out 5th gens and we drive them to events, but the GX is my favorite presently.

Unread 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
TOY2G
Driver

We got to meet Fanny and Eddie Morales from Rugged Pix out on the trail this yer. These two were climbing mountains, crossing log bridges and fording water (all above 10k feet) just to take some killer shots. I thought I should share a few of them they snapped of us.

Check them out on FB and IG for more summit and Jambo Pics. #ruggedpix

Unread 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
TOY2G
Driver

So..... I decided to do some maintenance on the GX and at the same time do some upgrades.

I had a wheel bearing with a TINY amount of movement on the pass side, I noticed it when I had it on the lift rotating tires. Then I noticed my upper control arm bushing was torn. So I did what any reasonable person would do...

I ordered new bushings for the tube upper arms, E-coated rotors, Wagner calipers, energy lower bushings, timken wheel bearings, moog greaseable cam bolts and inner/ outer tie rods. I figured if I'm doing bearings, I might as well do everything. I topped it off with some RAD fender liners.

Unread 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #15
TOY2G
Driver

So the GX is all buttoned up and home fully recovered. Now our Tundra is getting ready to go back under the knife. I still don't have all the parts, but what we do have is lift, wheels (GX wheels) snorkel and ARB rack. once it's done, our driveway is going to look like a small club wheeling event.

Still have to order Timberland Tires, winch, bumpers and lights for it.

This concludes the GX Build

Stay tuned for the Tundra Build....Once done, it will take it's place on our build wall.

Unread 11-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
TOY2G
Driver

So...It looks as if I still have a thing or two left on this GX, I ordered a Gibson SS Exhaust *from [MENTION=9]Jason B[/MENTION]. *I unpacked everything today and will install tomorrow. *It looks pretty straight forward aside from one thing. * The 2 bolt flange; not sure if it need a gasket/donut or not. *There is not one in the kit, so I assume no.

Stay Tuned for an AAR

EDIT:
Last Night I installed the new Gibson Exhaust on this GX. I have some simple photos and one grip (against Gibson not [MENTION=9]Jason B[/MENTION] )

First a Before Photo.

Next, My gripe: The new exhaust did not come with the needed exhaust donut. Before install I suspected it may be needed, but after taking the old exhaust off, I knew it HAD to be replaced. I ended up going (in order) to Advanced, O'Reilly, Auto Zone and then NAPA....LUCKY for me NAPA had the correct donut (PART NUMBER 31639). Gibson should either put it under the tools needed section in the instruction or include one. It's only a $10 piece but it brings the otherwise install to a screeching haul.
Old Gasket

After you get your new gasket, be sure to clean the old mounting surface very well with a wire brush. this joint is prone to leak on this model.

You CANNOT reuse the springs from your OE exhaust, the clamp will not tighten down enough.

BE SURE to use a little anti-seize on the two bolts here to help future you out.

Install is super simple and straight forward. For some reason, if you place the inlet and outlet so it fits (like the picture in the instructions) the "Gibson" logo is upside down and the seem faces the ground. IMHO, the logo should be whats visible, but it changes nothing. The install is super easy and took about 40 minutes (because I had to take the main flange back off to remove the springs)

The final product sounds just a slight deeper than stock with zero drone (so far, but I only have a couple hours driving on it)

Final thoughts:
This exhaust is built nice with quality welded and bent stainless steel (right here in the USA). The price was unbeatable and it showed up much faster than stated. It gave the V8 a little more rumble at idle and start up with zero drone on the highway. When I go all "show me the money" on the skinny pedal, it sounds like a V8 should when it's about to explode. Aside from the fumble with the exhaust gasket, I would not hesitate to recommend this exhaust to anyone.

After

Last edited by TOY2G; 11-16-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Unread 11-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #17
TOY2G
Driver

Just after Install
https://www.facebook.com/King.Clark/...1287074550425/

After a few hours of driving and at operating temp.
https://www.facebook.com/King.Clark/...1289394550193/

Unread 11-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #18
Jason B
Rookie

Looks and sound great. Glad to help you out... Here's the link to order, black friday sale still going.

GX470 Gibson Catback exhaust system
Live Chat/Message Board: http://get.to/jasonforum
AOL/AIM: JNB133
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote