Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Wanderer
Driver

Default Rear bump stops, again

I am finally getting around to buying bump-stops. For the front I purchased Wheeler's SuperBumps along with 3/8" spacers. For the rear the only application specific product I can find is from Timbren who now make "Active Off-road Bumpstops" which are apparently softer and addresses the complaints of a harsh or bouncy ride from those using the Timbren SES product without extra load. I almost bought these yesterday but at the last minute I flinched at the price.

Are there really no more affordable (but still good) rear bump stop options for our vehicles at this time?
RCI skid plates; OPOR lower links, rock sliders, and link guards
SuperBump™ bumpstops front; Timbren Active Offroad rear
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Superbumps, but will require some custom fab.

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Wanderer
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
You described that before, hence the "again" in my title, but I forgot to link that thread. However I cannot do the fabrication required, and I also have concern that the rear bumpers should be a different spec: ideally they should be taller and softer than the front ones I think since they are not in the leverage of the LCAs.

Thanks nevertheless for taking the time to respond to my thread, again!
Unread 04-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

What are you trying to do with the bumpstops?

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Wanderer
Driver

Improve comfort and control on rough roads at moderate speed, and provide increased protection from bottoming damage. I appear to be using the full travel of my Icons and I am not pushing things that hard; I want an improved margin of safety.
Unread 04-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Improve comfort and control on rough roads at moderate speed, and provide increased protection from bottoming damage. I appear to be using the full travel of my Icons and I am not pushing things that hard; I want an improved margin of safety.

Maybe need to have the shocks revalved? Or what about the spring being too soft? Or both?
Unread 04-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
Wanderer
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Maybe need to have the shocks revalved? Or what about the spring being too soft? Or both?
Are you implying that rubber jounce bumpers won't help? Reviews of the Superbumps and initial reviews of the Active Off-Road ones make me think these are what I need. I am looking for a progressive-travel component to my suspension. I don't want the entire travel range extra firm or I could put the CDC valves at H. (Which I do for dunes.)

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-05-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Unread 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
Sorry, forgot about that. Just finished my setup but haven't beaten on them yet to speak to whether they are too hard or short for the rear.

Unread 04-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
bulldog
Admin

When using larger rubber bumstops it will have an effect on your suspension. I used the big Timbrens in the back for a while, but the rebound actually made the ride worse. If you run large rubber bumpstops consider having the rebound valved firmer on the shock, the rear axle is especially bad if you don't.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Wanderer
Driver

Thanks for the warning. Hopefully the new Timbren "Active Off-Road" series has less significantly less rebound. If it is still a problem I guess I'll have to have the Icons revalved when they are rebuilt, perhaps sooner than later.

I do need some kind of enhanced stop; just today I misjudged a ridge and dip on a powerline road (flat light) and slammed the front end down harder than I liked. I don't think I damaged anything but I wish to avoid repeating that.
Unread 04-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #11
bulldog
Admin

I still use the front timbrens, but have my Radflos custom valved to account for it. Still not ideal. Reality is that they soften the blow a little, but IMO it's a fool's errand to use these big bumpstops. Either get active bumpstops (that are noisy), or upgrade the suspension to handle these conditions. Ideally front and rear LT is the way to go if bottoming out is a concern, but a lot of $$$.

In my case I just suck it up and reinforced the spindles, a few bumps can be lived with.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 04-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
LTDSC
Driver

definitely sounds like you need to revalve a little and that should dramatically help you.

I had my front icons revalved a touch for rebound when i had them rebuilt. Huge difference.
LTDSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
Wanderer
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I still use the front timbrens, but have my Radflos custom valved to account for it. Still not ideal. Reality is that they soften the blow a little, but IMO it's a fool's errand to use these big bumpstops. Either get active bumpstops (that are noisy), or upgrade the suspension to handle these conditions. Ideally front and rear LT is the way to go if bottoming out is a concern, but a lot of $$$.

In my case I just suck it up and reinforced the spindles, a few bumps can be lived with.
This is disappointing, but I sincerely appreciate the advice nevertheless. By chance have you driven a 4Runner with the Wheeler's SuperBumps for comparison? I already have a front set in hand I'm waiting to install.

With the front Timbrens and revalved Radflos what is the problem? Is the rebound control still poor, or do they not do much on hard bumps? Both?

I wish I could get long travel or the Icon S2 system, etc., but that's just not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDSC View Post
definitely sounds like you need to revalve a little and that should dramatically help you.

I had my front icons revalved a touch for rebound when i had them rebuilt. Huge difference.
Is this with or without aftermarket bump stops? Do you have the CDCV shocks as well? What exactly did you tell Icon (and Icon tell you) regarding the revalving?
Unread 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
LTDSC
Driver

Quote:
This is disappointing, but I sincerely appreciate the advice nevertheless. By chance have you driven a 4Runner with the Wheeler's SuperBumps for comparison? I already have a front set in hand I'm waiting to install.

With the front Timbrens and revalved Radflos what is the problem? Is the rebound control still poor, or do they not do much on hard bumps? Both?

I wish I could get long travel or the Icon S2 system, etc., but that's just not possible.

Is this with or without aftermarket bump stops? Do you have the CDCV shocks as well? What exactly did you tell Icon (and Icon tell you) regarding the revalving?
no CDC system and i had them re valved privately. Not with Icon. Aftermarket bumps in the front, not rear yet.
LTDSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
Wanderer
Driver

Thanks.
Unread 04-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #16
bulldog
Admin

Quote:

No experience with SuperBumps, but don't expect much different if it is just a rubber bumpstop.

The front is OK now with the firmer rebound, but the difference is not much on really hard drops with the bigger bumps. My shocks need a rebuild now, but even before the rebound never felt as well controlled with the initial bump back from the bigger stops. If I had to do it over I would just skip the bigger bumps, I mostly use them now to control the rubbing with 35s on fast and hard runs.

The rear I had to pull as it never felt right, way too much kickback with the axle for my liking.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
No experience with SuperBumps, but don't expect much different if it is just a rubber bumpstop.

The front is OK now with the firmer rebound, but the difference is not much on really hard drops with the bigger bumps. My shocks need a rebuild now, but even before the rebound never felt as well controlled with the initial bump back from the bigger stops. If I had to do it over I would just skip the bigger bumps, I mostly use them now to control the rubbing with 35s on fast and hard runs.

The rear I had to pull as it never felt right, way too much kickback with the axle for my liking.
They are much different than just a rubber bumps, they are a foam rubber type material which is very progressive and not harsh like the stock ones.

Here is what I just finished up for my rear Superbump setup.

Unread 04-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #18
Wanderer
Driver

That looks really good. I wish I could weld.

From bulldog's report anything cheap (Energy Suspension etc.) would almost certainly be a waste of money, and since I want to do something I am going to test Timbren's Satisfaction Guarantee and get Active Off-Road Bumpstops for the rear. This hopefully honest review suggests they should be significantly better than the old ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maXTERRA
I ran the older SES models for a while, and they were a huge improvement over the stock rubber covered pieces of steel that offered no cushion at all. On a hard bottom-out situation, they did have a short and progressive compression and fairly harsh rebound.
When I installed the new ones, immediately noticed a feeling of a longer softer compression and dampening, and no noticeable “bottom-out”, and the rebound is very smooth and not the “bouncy ball” feeling at all.
If they rebound badly like the ones bulldog had I will expect my money back, and at least this way if they are a disaster I can put the money (less shipping) toward Icon hydraulic stops next year. (But I would much rather spend that money traveling at this point.)
Unread 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:

From bulldog's report anything cheap (Energy Suspension etc.) would almost certainly be a waste of money, and since I want to do something I am going to test Timbren's Satisfaction Guarantee and get Active Off-Road Bumpstops for the rear. This hopefully honest review suggests they should be significantly better than the old ones:

If they rebound badly like the ones bulldog had I will expect my money back, and at least this way if they are a disaster I can put the money (less shipping) toward Icon hydraulic stops next year. (But I would much rather spend that money traveling at this point.)
That sounds like how I would describe the Supers, if they perform like that you should be happy.

Unread 04-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #20
drewm
Driver

Quote:

Just watch out for any rear hydraulic bumpstops that go inside the rear springs, it's possible to bend your rear axle like redswan did. He was running Icon suspension with Icon hydraulic bumpstops, and removed and sold the bumps after he bent his axle:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ml#post1650357

Running custom mounted hydraulic bumpstops that sit as far out toward the wheels is the best solution. King also makes an internal bypass shock that fits, the_josh is running them, ask him about them.

Last edited by drewm; 04-13-2016 at 03:42 PM.
drewm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bump-stops, suspension