Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 05-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default P0037 O2 sensor Headache

So I have the VSC Trac lights on and the check engine.

Code says P0037 - Bank 1 sensor 2 (O2).

Replaced sensor and no luck - codes came back on

Checked all the O2 sensor connectors - cleaned them and dried and some dielectric grease on each.

No luck

Zero Point Calibration

No Luck - lights still come back on within 10miles

Checked gas cap - no problem

Checked ABS lines for broken wires - no problem

All fuses are in good condiction.

I'm lost what to do next other than take to the dealer then who knows what success Ill have there after reading of so many others who paid $100 and in some cases $1000 for solutions that did not solve their problems.

So pissed with my truck. I hardly drive it and its always one problem after another.

Spent weeks chasing down this problem and can't seem to sort it out.

Anyone with experience of the P0037 code want to shed some light on their success to give me some hope?

The bitch is I cant get the damn truck smogged with the codes so for nearly a month I haven't be able to really drive without fear of being pulled over for not having a registration sticker - I have paid the fee already.

04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Trik444
Driver

I've been in the same boat for nearly 3 years dodging the intermittent CEL and VSC lights. I've been able to pass inspection over the years...but as of 6 months ago, the lights are now on full time and I'm 3 months overdue for an inspection and can't pass it. My cats have been shot for a VERY long time (most likely my 02 sensors as well), but I have been putting off replacing them as long as I could pass inspections. Looks like that time has come to an end.

After reading through the endless threads regarding this issue, here is the breakdown of what has/hasn't worked for members:

- Gas cap replaced (Done)
- Brake light switch (Done) - Codes C1223 and C1249
- Stretched ABS wires - Predominantly around UCA's - visually inspected, all ok.
- 02 Sensors (2 upstream/2 downstream)
- Zero Point Calibration

Other possible culprits that have been mentioned by other members:
- Check wheel sensor connections
- Check fluid level at master cylinder
- Check/replace purge valve
- Check/replace charcoal cannister

I finally gave up and took my 4runner into the dealership last Thursday. After a diagnostic, I was told both cats and all 4 02 sensors need to be replaced and this should fix the issue. Parts + labor quoted just shy of $2,800. I asked what kind of assurance I have that this will fix the issue and the tech told me he was 100% positive. I'm skeptical. But I'm out of options and I'm sick of not being able to drive the 4runner around town.
Current: 2017 TRD Off-Road Premium - Magnetic Grey: 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country MT's - Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks - 17" SCS F5 wheels - Light Racing UCA's, Metal Tech adjustable rear lower arms - Body Mount Chop - Spidertrax

Totaled (RIP): 2005 Sport Edition 4x4
Trik444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

I was going to say, Mark, that it may be an indication your cats are no good any more. A quick sniffer test should be able to say if that's the case, most smog shops will do this for you for a song. A muffler shop should be able to cut out the bad cat(s) and weld a new one in, no need to pay exorbitant dealer costs for a brand new factory mid-pipe + cats.

I think you can get a temporary registration card to be used while you are fixing your vehicle, if you're a AAA member go to one of their locations and see what they can do for you. If not, brave the lines at the DMV...
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

You are guys are awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll press on and see what happens. I cant afford a ~$3000 bill!!!!! Yikes!

Do the bad cat.s throw a code or does this only come up through the O2 sensor reporting?
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
Unread 06-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

It would only come up as an O2 sensor code since they are the sensors that monitor the cats.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Unread 06-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

so would these cats work for my truck? 2004 V8? Seems they are ok for California. Most are 49 states not including CA

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...50-state-legal

I'm going to swap all my sensors first - cheapest step! Already replaced one and have second spare!

And is my exhaust 2.25" dia or 2.50" dia ?

Last edited by expat; 06-01-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Unread 06-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #7
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

There's some good Toyota wrecking yards by me that I've gotten lots of stuff from. Not sure bout the v8, but in the v6 there is 4 cats. 1 in each header (just pre cats) and then one on each side of y pipe. I have long tube headers with aftermarket pipe. So no cats. I run a plug thingy from URD. So I don't get CEL. I only swap out to stock ypipe for smog, then swap back. The two fronts don't matter from what I was told. I lucked out and got brand new OEM headers and ypipe at the end of the warranty then went aftermarket. I kept the OEM stuff with new cats for smog. I remember it being like 2600$ or more. It was free under warranty. If I were u, I would source them from wrecking yard. Look into the URD plug.
Unread 06-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Trik444
Driver

Yeah I read up on the URD 02 sensor simulator a while back and figured that might be worth the shot. Read more about it here:

http://urdusa.com/store/Electronics-...170/index.html

It looks like it's plug and play as well which makes it pretty handy. I think I will be giving this a shot first to see what happens when installed...
Current: 2017 TRD Off-Road Premium - Magnetic Grey: 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country MT's - Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks - 17" SCS F5 wheels - Light Racing UCA's, Metal Tech adjustable rear lower arms - Body Mount Chop - Spidertrax

Unread 06-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Thx Kurt for the suggestions. To clarify my code is P0037 which does not actually indicate problems with the cats and the code for cat problems is different. With a cat problem I don't believe you get VSC lights for a cat problem? In short I think at this stage the URD plug won't resolve my problem although replacing the cats may be necessary.
Unread 06-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
adamf
Rookie

The code is for the heating element in the O2 sensor. It has nothing to do with the cats. Usually if it's not the sensor it's something to do with the wiring or related grounding.
Unread 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
Trik444
Driver

Expat - fingers crossed for you that it's just bad 02 sensors!

Unread 06-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf View Post
The code is for the heating element in the O2 sensor. It has nothing to do with the cats. Usually if it's not the sensor it's something to do with the wiring or related grounding.
The 02 sensors have one purpose, to verify the cats are doing their job. Any code you get that is 02 sensor related can be a sign of a cat problem. Hopefully not, but you can't rule it out for certain.
www.mikestang.com
Unread 06-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
adamf
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
The 02 sensors have one purpose, to verify the cats are doing their job. Any code you get that is 02 sensor related can be a sign of a cat problem. Hopefully not, but you can't rule it out for certain.
I agree on the purpose of the rear O2 sensors, but this code has nothing to do with the signal that the sensor is producing. It's very specifically a code for heating element circuit that the ECU uses to heat the sensor up rapidly after a cold start. If the sensor isn't up to temp it doesn't even make a signal in the first place.

To drill down even further, P0037 indicates that the ECU isn't seeing the current flow (amperage) it expects on this heating circuit when the heater circuit is on. If the sensor didn't fix it you likely have some resistance/poor connection/grounding issue/etc in the related wiring. A distant possibility would be an ECU issue, but I wouldn't even begin to consider that without a lot of wiring troubleshooting first.
Unread 06-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Well it appears that the few pictures found online (that I found anyway) incorrectly labelled the sensor position. When I finally swapped the driver downstream instead of the passenger downstream my problem was over.

After swapping out the driver side I cleared the code, did a zero point calibration to clear the VSC Off / VSC TRAC lights, my dash is clear of lights as of 120miles of city and freeway driving. Went to get smog test done again today and the damn system is down around the state apparently so no one can smog my truck until at least Monday when someone resets the system. Hohum!

Well that drama appears out the way but I will start documenting the inaccuatte sites/posts/pictures that led me astray.

Glad it only costed me $100 for a Denso sensor and a butt load of wasted time worrying lol.
Unread 06-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Well it appears that the few pictures found online (that I found anyway) incorrectly labelled the sensor position. When I finally swapped the driver downstream instead of the passenger downstream my problem was over.

After swapping out the driver side I cleared the code, did a zero point calibration to clear the VSC Off / VSC TRAC lights, my dash is clear of lights as of 120miles of city and freeway driving. Went to get smog test done again today and the damn system is down around the state apparently so no one can smog my truck until at least Monday when someone resets the system. Hohum!

Well that drama appears out the way but I will start documenting the inaccuatte sites/posts/pictures that led me astray.

Glad it only costed me $100 for a Denso sensor and a butt load of wasted time worrying lol.

Wow..... sounds like a huge PITA!! Thanks for sharing, that will save someone a ton of headache in the future... I'm subscribing in case its me!