Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Linus
Driver

Default 2012 Lone Star Toyota Jamboree

There was a few who were asking about it, so I figured i would do a quick write up with some pics.

Left my house which is just north of Austin at 4:30AM and arrived up at Barnwell Mtn around 9:30, which was just enough time to check in and air down my tires before the rain moved in. Weather for the rest of the day was off and on (mostly on) heavy rains and was in the 50's for temps, so it pretty much sucked all day on Fri. The dirt in the area is very slick when wet, so even 2 diamond (out of 6) trails were pretty hairy.

View from the pavilion Fri morning watching it rain as we gathered for the first run of the day.

A lot of mud holes just on the park roads

On the second run of the day we went as a small group and did a 2 diamond trail that was overall pretty easy, but due to the rain, the steep decent at the end of the trail got a little hairy

Getting sidways

Me staying straight while driving down the river

A random FJ (there was a few of them there) trying to go up the other side of what we went down. This was about as far as he got

This looks like a good spot to set-up camp

Day 2 (Sat) the sun came out and dried up the trail pretty quickly. The weather was perfect and made for some great wheeling.

A lot of the trails were like this where it was off camber hills. Made for some 3 wheeled fun

This was def a highlight of the trip... Came across a full size crew cab Tundra on one of the trials on Sat afternoon. This group delayed us about an hour on the trail, but well worth the entertainment.

Hard to see in the pic, but at this point he had busted a seal in the power steering and was leaking fluid out on the trail

Finally winched the Tundra out and it was the FJ's turn

The only thing keeping this one upright was the wall. He had a nice roof dent to show for it

Oh, and if anyone is curious, this hole was very passable with the right line. I'll have download the video of how we did it.

Some more random shots

Posing on the rock garden

Posers

Misc pics of the weekend

Shock that somehow bent on the park road coming for coffee in the AM

Sweet diff cover on a very cool FJ40 crawler

Overall group shot

Overall, had a great time and got to meet a fellow member, Hal (TX4Runner), but didn't get to wheel with him. Next time perhaps. Also got to check out RawMinds ridiculous FJ...wow...that thing is sick. The food was good, and the raffle was awesome even though I didn't win anything. Can't wait for next year.

If anyone that was there and wants to tack on some pics or comments, feel free. I always fly solo when wheeling like this being my wife has to stay with the kids, who are too young to come along, so pics are not always easy to come by.
06 SE 4X4 V8. OW 2.5. Total Chaos UCA's. 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Spidertrax Spacers. Stubbs HD-SKO. Outrider Lower Link Mount Skids. Pioneer AVIC-D3 with XM, BT, and Reverse Camera. Midland 75-822 w/Little Wil.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
AggieFCO
Here I am. Send me.

So...how did you get home with the busted shock?
AggieFCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Linus
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieFCO View Post
So...how did you get home with the busted shock?
Sorry, should have been a little clearer on that one. That wasn't me, I was just one of the people standing around taking pics and wondering how that happens on a park road.

There was a small swap meet, and someone brought a set of OEM shocks and donated them to the cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 SE 4X4 V8. OW 2.5. Total Chaos UCA's. 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Spidertrax Spacers. Stubbs HD-SKO. Outrider Lower Link Mount Skids. Pioneer AVIC-D3 with XM, BT, and Reverse Camera. Midland 75-822 w/Little Wil.
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Oh, and if anyone is curious, this hole was very passable with the right line. I'll have download the video of how we did it.
Great report looked like a fun weekend even with the rain, thanks for sharing. And I am curious about the correct way to take that small section/hole so post up the vid please.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Darklight
Old Timer

Nice report linus! How do you like those Trail Grapplers and any problem stuffing them in the rear wheel wells?
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Linus
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Nice report linus! How do you like those Trail Grapplers and any problem stuffing them in the rear wheel wells?
Thanks! I've been very happy with the Trail Grapplers. They're good enough on the road, and great on the trail. It took a little trimming and pounding to get them to stop rubbing, but I've got it all out at this point. The rear was actually pretty easy, and I didn't have to drop my bump stops at all.

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Darklight
Old Timer

Well they sure do look nice and that is a good size too! Just a little on the heavy side but that means they will hold up to some trail abuse for sure,

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Linus
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Great report looked like a fun weekend even with the rain, thanks for sharing. And I am curious about the correct way to take that small section/hole so post up the vid please.
Just a quick follow-up...here's how the hole was traversed. Sorry, not sure how to post a video on it. The guy's in the Tundra and FJ tried to stay away from the wall on the driver side, and in doing so, put their tire in the hole and flopped to their side. The trick was to put stay on the wall on the drive side and drive up it and straddle the hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aJC3...2&feature=plcp
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Linus
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Well they sure do look nice and that is a good size too! Just a little on the heavy side but that means they will hold up to some trail abuse for sure,

Bobby
Heavy, yes...they kill my MPG, but I don't drive enough to care about that. More important to me is that they've held up very well with the sharp rocks around here.
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Just a quick follow-up...here's how the hole was traversed. Sorry, not sure how to post a video on it. The guy's in the Tundra and FJ tried to stay away from the wall on the driver side, and in doing so, put their tire in the hole and flopped to their side. The trick was to put stay on the wall on the drive side and drive up it and straddle the hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aJC3...2&feature=plcp
Here ya go, good stuff

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

nice pics and report!! would like to do some wheeling on those trails!

the video was funny with all the different spotters and their different directions
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
Linus
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
nice pics and report!! would like to do some wheeling on those trails!

the video was funny with all the different spotters and their different directions
Thanks, and yes, way too many spotters on that one

Unread 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
harper7
Driver

Here's some pics I shot. Went with friends from the TTR club.

Clyde's Ravine

Regeared with 4:56's and Double Locked-Icon CO's with Rem. Res and Piggyback Rears-SAW rear springs-LR UCA's-Konig X's with 305/70/17 BFG KM2's-TE bumpers and flares-Viair 480C on-board air /2 gallon tank-Shrockworks Sliders-Budbuilt Skids/Winch Plate-Warn M8000- Bajarack-BajaDesigns LED bar-S2K HID Retrofit-Dual Battery
harper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Linus
Driver

Great pics. Thanks for adding them to the thread.

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
TX4Runner
Rookie

Just found this thread. Nice meeting you as well, Linus. I have been lazy about posting some of my pics, but I will try to get them up tonight. Great pics (and video) so far!

-Hal
OME 885 front, Icon/Superflex rear, LR UCA's, Demello bumper, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, RCI skids, 285/75R16 Duratracs on Level8 MK6 wheels, Uniden Pro520xl w/ FireStik II, Kenwood TM-281A ham, Extra 12V outlets, Limited grille, Fog light mod, Map light mod, exhaust chopped
TX4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
TX4Runner
Rookie

Ok, here are a few of mine. I didn't get any of my own 4R wheeling, as I was traveling solo and driving. Definitely a lot of vehicles out there to drool over, though.

Thanks to this guy for making my bumper. First run was a success.

Splashing down the end of Angry Jeep trail.

Part of the main road through the park.
OME 885 front, Icon/Superflex rear, LR UCA's, Demello bumper, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, RCI skids, 285/75R16 Duratracs on Level8 MK6 wheels, Uniden Pro520xl w/ FireStik II, Kenwood TM-281A ham, Extra 12V outlets, Limited grille, Fog light mod, Map light mod, exhaust chopped
TX4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #17
Linus
Driver

Cool pics Hal. Def need to get back up there at some point.
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #18
jbmccul
Driver

Stolen off my buddies Facebook

jbmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
Linus
Driver

Tell your friend thanks, and thank you for sharing. I think that last pic of the FJ stuck in the mud was from Fri afternoon, and it was just on a park road, not even an actual trail. Just shows how muddy it was out there on Fri

Unread 05-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #20
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Looks like another great Jambo! Wish I could have went.
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote