Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 06-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Default No gate, no sign, no problems?

I was out driving today at lunch scouting where I usually go mountain biking and I found this little dirt road off a county dirt road. I didn't see any signs or gates (or gates that had been removed, etc.), so I decided to check it out. Well, I was only on my lunch break, so I couldn't explore much, but the little driving I was able to do was really fun (for a noob like me, probably a 2 - 4 rating per the sticky in this forum). I drove up to a point where the road became really off camber with a big rut on the side of it. It totally looked driveable, but not on my lunch break, so I backed down the hill until I had width to turn around and left.

Question is, with no signs and no gates and a dirt road that is obviously well-traveled, it is usually ok to drive on stuff like this, or do you think Johnny Q. Lawman is going to pay me a visit if I'm cruising around in the hills? I'll probably go back on my bike and pedal-scout it and see how far I'd feel comfortable driving it, snap some pictures and stuff. It'd be great to have a fun little trail I could pass my lunch break on, heh heh.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
JP4Crawler
Driver

If it's National Forest or BLM land, you're "generally" O.K., but to be safe, it's always good to call the local Ranger station & double check. They usually have guys(or gals) that know the area well & can let you know. It's nice to have a close place to wheel with a little challenge, hope it's a go.

Jason
JP4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4Crawler
If it's National Forest or BLM land, you're "generally" O.K., but to be safe, it's always good to call the local Ranger station & double check. They usually have guys(or gals) that know the area well & can let you know. It's nice to have a close place to wheel with a little challenge, hope it's a go.

Jason

Better to check first. Also better to find out about legal spots first. sometimes private land is not clearly marked or land that is not supposed to be driven. However BLM, etc land is open unless otherwise specified.

bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Hmm, all I could find on-line designates it as "Forest Land". I'll have to find out which ranger station has jursidiction and ask them, I guess.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Good idea. Better than getting a steep fine or in worst case they can take your vehicle and fine you a well. DOnt think it is the case for the road you are talking about, but better safe than sorry.

bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
tour4fun
Driver

Forget the fines, I'm worried about the guy with the shotgun (no shotguns in smiley pack )
Unread 12-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Hmm, all I could find on-line designates it as "Forest Land". I'll have to find out which ranger station has jursidiction and ask them, I guess.
Mike is the trial you a found a well groomed trail? You should be clear to wheel on that trail you found since it is designated as forest land, but i would contact the Forestry Service/ Rangers to findout if it is open to wheel on, or closed to preserve endangered plants and animal life. I would also advise purchasing that lame CA adventure pass runs $8 for the day i think and $15 for the year i think.
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Just realized this is a year old thread
Unread 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
Just realized this is a year old thread

Year and a half!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
Year and a half!!!
Yeah yeah i deserve that
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Heh heh. This little trail system I found has since been barricaded off, so I guess they didn't want people on it after all.
www.mikestang.com
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
Bala de Plata
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
Yeah yeah i deserve that
Your just playing catch up for not being a member when this thread was started

Bala de Plata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala de Plata View Post
Your just playing catch up for not being a member when this thread was started
I guess that sounds better then saying i read and typed without realizing how old the thread was.