Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 05-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default Nasty roll-over: Learn from the video

http://www.rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/...Rollmovie.html

Probably my greatest fear - a simple error goes hughly wrong. Gee I'd like an internal cage.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
MCL68
Super Moderator

Mark that looked like a brutal rollover.A internal cage would be a nice piece of insurance.
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

That sucks!!!

Short wheelbase vehicles seem to be much more susceptible to rollovers it seems.

Another factor is that we get lax sometimes while wheeling. Almost ended up on my side last weekend due to taking it too easy. I wonder if that factored in here as the Jeep rolled back pretty fast.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Did he lose traction allowing the jeep to roll back, or did he make the mistake of backing up without turning back down the trail? All the years i've had 4wd's I've never put the vehicle perpendicular to the down hill side of the trail, bad idea. When in doubt back it out, or in this case winch it out. Also was someone air lifted out? Was wondering what the A star aircraft was there for. Regardless good to see there was no serious or fatal injuries sustained.

Last edited by BajaRnnr; 05-30-2009 at 11:23 PM.
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

The trail turns up sideways. I just think he let it roll down to quickly and then his rear wheel hit the hole and the rest is history.

Always be careful and alert is probably the main thing. Also when backing down do it as slow as possible.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Teotwaki
Adventurer

As the Jeep starts to roll you can see the driver reactively put his hand out the window as if he could stop the rollover.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
AlexJet
Old Timer

Wow, I just glad they were OK. It also was good to see the winching technique with ancoring the snatch block by up-hill vehicle.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
Did he lose traction allowing the jeep to roll back, or did he make the mistake of backing up without turning back down the trail? All the years i've had 4wd's I've never put the vehicle perpendicular to the down hill side of the trail, bad idea. When in doubt back it out, or in this case winch it out. Also was someone air lifted out? Was wondering what the A star aircraft was there for. Regardless good to see there was no serious or fatal injuries sustained.

This is from the dialogue on the side of the video frame...

"Bob Wohlers 05-26-2009
I'm watched the video several times now. From what I can see, I would be willing to bet that this driver had front and rear lockers engaged. I see the rear and wheel tires spinning together in low traction substrate. With lockers on (especially in the front), he's getting "locker creep." Watch the front axle, the wheels spin together (lockers) and his vehicle "scoots" or "creeps" to the left, down hill... then the vehicle looses traction altogether, then down the hill. Locker creep... few people know of it."

Personally I think its just the incline on the hill and the fact that he let off the gas, let the truck roll back unweighting the front and then braking which transfered even more weight to the rear enough for the front to start to lift and with the momentum as he was going backwards he couldn't recover. He probably had some substanial weight in the rear too which didn't help.

No-one was air lifted out. Apparently the driver had a pretty bad hit to the head but his wife and he refused the airlift and weer taken to hospital by car. They retunred to the camp later that evening, pretty sore and banged up but no breaks etc. I guess whomever called in the heli would be paying the cost??? Anyone know if that's how it works?

What I find amazing is the dog survived the ordeal (albeit not all that well) . Another example of why IMO all animals need to either be in a cage or securely restrained in a vehicle.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!

Last edited by expat; 05-31-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJet View Post
Wow, I just glad they were OK. It also was good to see the winching technique with ancoring the snatch block by up-hill vehicle.
Agreed Alex. They really seemd to know what they were doing with rigging and winching.
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

That looked bad but the main thing everyone walked away from it.

That location looks similar to a area on the barney riley trail shot by norcal ttora

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Damn. It just had to be an Jeep. . I glad to see that no one was killed.
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

it's not "locker creep". the momentum into the hole and sudden stop brought the front end over- the swb jeeps are very easy to roll.
Cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Josh220
Old Timer

Was the lack of flex a large factor in the roll? For me, it was kind of like watching a box because as soon as the rear wheel was in the hole, the whole rig tipped instead of flexing into the depression.
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
bulldog
Admin

I don't think flex would have helped once he started to go backwards. The weight was already moving in that direction. Momentum in a bad spot is what probably got it rolling.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Crazy stuff, seems such an innocent climb... yet I can hang my truck off a 100 year old mining road and come away unscathed. Go Toyota!
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
1rook
Driver

Wow, good thing the TJ was the last one going up!

You could do that trail 100 times and not have a rollover. It looks like the LR wheel hits a low spot, most likely a rut created from other vehicles turning at that spot. Just as the RR hits a higher spot, it stores enough energy in the spring due to the speed at which he backed up, so that the rebound and the side hill position jacked the jeep over.

What's more impressive is how everyone involved helped out the poor couple and their dog after the incident... dogs rule!
1rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
shabaka
Senior Driver

this is one scary/crazy video

as far as ruts in the trail go...
i wheel with three guys regularly here in CO
two TJs like the one in the video
a Grand Cherokee
and my rig

all the trails seem to be rutted out by the 93"-98" wheelbase vehicles
in exactly the wrong spots because the wrangler is so popular

our two 109" wheelbase trucks never get upset by the same dips and ruts
which is a given but the cool/interesting thing is
the extra length is more often a help on the well used trails
even with the two of us on 32" vs the Wranglers on larger rubber and lockers

i guess it's just a reminder to stay vigilant and "in the moment"
when out on the trail
...anything can and will happen

amazing they walked away too

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...build & gallery
shabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticZ View Post
That looked bad but the main thing everyone walked away from it.

That location looks similar to a area on the barney riley trail shot by norcal ttora

That's in Stoddard Valley in Barstow. That trail looks like one I took during HDR a few years ago...
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Astrotraveler
Driver

I'm a rookie (rightly so: I have about six offroad trips under my belt lifetime and never any offroad in a modified vehicle) but having run tracks in New Mexico not a whole lot easier than the one in the video in a mostly stock Subaru Forester (exception: A/T rather than highway rubber) I see two things. First, his tires look really, really hard for that much rock. I think he needed to lower the pressure more to get a larger contact patch. Unlike the folks that went ahead of him, he's having lots of traction issues the whole way. Second, he rolled back way too fast generating lots of momentum. When his left rear sticks in the depression, it acts as a fulcrum to bring the front up and over. It was also amazing that the cooler didn't crush or even open. I wonder if it was full of ice and water (and beer) or empty. If full, that's a lot of extra weight carried high and very far behind the rear axle which may have contributed to the velocity of the rollback and the force of the tail stand.

I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. This kind of stuff underscores why it is that I go so bloody s-l-o...w... offroad. I'm scared of stuff like death, injury and property damage (especially my own property). If I wheel with you guys, please be patient. I do not want to have the honor of refusing an air lift.

Regards,

Jim

Astrotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
badtrout
Rookie

I know this is an old thread and I've seen this video long ago, but as I'm starting to get my 4Runner and FJ40 (and myself) more off-road capable I suppose I just wanted to resurrect this as a reminder and a way to gather more info that what you all have already posted.

There are several thoughts here as to why it may have happened and I was wondering if there are any more as well as other ideas how to prevent the same from happening.

9/1969 FJ40
2004 4Runner Ltd 4wd V6
2010 Subaru Outback Ltd. for
badtrout is offline   Reply With Quote