Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #41
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post

Big huge mistake sending the parts with F'in DHL!!!!!!!
These guys are the absolute worst!!!!

It was supposed to be a Thursday by noon, but they sent it to California hub instead!!!

Now it won't be there until tomorrow!!

So, No one ever use DHL again..........Ever!!!!!

When I looked DHL next day service actually meant 2 days from CA to UT. Meaning ship Wednesday and it gets there Friday, and that is what they call next day. Anyway I normally stick to UPS for ground and Fedex for quick shipping (Fedex as super expensive though for a 25lb package).

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #42
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

First...thanks to everyone who helped in some way. I will have to get to everyone at some stage and express my thanks more personally.

So I'm finally off the mountain after three days and two nights. It gets pretty darn dark and lonely up there at night

So we basically had this happen...

I had my center diff locked and was making an tight left turn to do a redo of a most excellent climb and descent. I thought I heard a twang and had a quick look around but could not see anything. I climbed the rock and descended again with no real drama.

Drove a few more miles over steep climbs and descents - man some are really scary! - then I came to one climb that was pretty steep but not as extreme as some we had done already. Anyhow, about half way up I heard anothet twang and I heard John calling over the cb that some liquid was coming out from under the truck. As luck would have it the steep climb was short and ended with a large flat area on top a slick rock. So i clim out and sure enough the first thing I see is the CV is popped (broken), then I see the axle bracket is broken then we see oil seeping out from around the oil pan!

So to cut the drama short for now, I used Cold Weld (5 tubes) to seal up the oil leak then got on the cell to Andries and Robert to see if they could arrange parts. By this time we had missed the cutoff time so the parts would have to wait till the next day to ship (Thursday). That meant the parts would be here Friday. As indicated above the CV arrived as expected and we were ready and waiting for it. Thankfully Joyce was the lead mechanic on this and in no time we had the sucker in and all back together. the axle bracket apparently got sent to CA, so John hightailed down to Moab and got the guys at a 4x4 shop to weld it up and by 4:30pm we were getting off the mountain.

Lily was kinda sick of hanging out at camp for the best part fo three days so I got rooms for us at the 6 motel chain. Finally able to clean all the grease and oil and dirt off.

We're heading out for some chow in town and then I would like to find out if we can narrow down when the bracket will arrive. The weld job is temp and I rather not risk a breakdown on the way home (14hrs!).

So that's a kinda summary. I have tons of pictures and will get a few up of the ordeal tonight. We made a journal the other night at camp and it should be fun to read. Lots of s$%@ has gone down on the whole, including Jogn getting lost in LA before we even got to the meetup point on the first morning which put us all about 1.5hrs behind schedule. Then there was the dead batteries saga, the arseholes who took a short beating saga, the hole in the sidewall saga, then the.....ok later

Cheers
Mark
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #43
bulldog
Admin

Can't wait to see the trail report, sounds like an adventure of note

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #44
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Glad you made it down Mark. Our apologies for the mistake of them sending it with DHL, will never do that again.
If anything, stop by here if you are headed home tomorrow (during business hours) and we'll get Brett to take a look at it, he has an extra bracket here I believe, just in case DHL's overnight never makes it!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #45
toyota alec
Rookie

Can't wait for the trail report. Waiting for the story of the jerks who took your gas cans. Sounds like that trip was an adventure!
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #46
97kurt
Administrator

Glad you are mobile again. I'm gonna keep my eye out on ebay for a ready welder now.

Post pics when you can.
97kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #47
Chris Tacoma
Driver

Glad to hear the great news Can't wait to see the pics and hear more of the adventure.
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #48
05sport4x4
Driver

Good to hear that your at least back to moving. It sounds like quite an adventure some good and others not. Really waiting to see the pictures and read the complete tail.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #49
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Sorry, can't post pix tonight. My camera card is not compatible with my new laptop.

Robert - any idea if DHL knows when the new bracket is supposed to be arriving in Moab? Its timing will determine what we do next on our 'adventure'.

If its not going to get here till late morning, then we're just going to get back on the road. I'd like to swing by you if we don't get the bracket here but I'm frightened you'll sell me something I can't afford LOL.

Thanks
Mark
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #50
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97kurt View Post
Glad you are mobile again. I'm gonna keep my eye out on ebay for a ready welder now.

Post pics when you can.

Here is a picture of my broken passenger side differential mount:

Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #51
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
Here is a picture of my broken passenger side differential mount:

Yep, the achilles heel of 4R's
Unread 03-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #52
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Yep, the Achilles heel of 4R's

Yeah, here's mine!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is, kind of putting it back together (sort of)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #53
bulldog
Admin

Maybe Kurtfab will come out with a super beefy unit

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #54
AlexJet
Old Timer

Glad Mark is down the hill and back on the road. Funny story, I was going to try to cut and reweld the diff brackets to drop my diff 1/2"-1". Now I'm thinking....If Kurt will be making them, I'm in for a set.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #55
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Glad it seems it's getting taken care of. If we could have just stuck around a day or two longer, we might have been able to help. Can't wait to see your trip report.
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #56
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Maybe Kurtfab will come out with a super beefy unit

I'm sending him my old broken one to use as a template. Now that we've seen three (3) of these fail, we know it's Not my driving!!
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #57
FJCcrawler
Crawler

Glad to hear he made it out of the mountain. Cant wait for the trail report.

07 FJC
01 4runner
Chris
FJCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #58
Grillfish
Driver

Glad to hear they made it out safe. Looking forward to the pics.

Not to hijack the post... It looks like both brakets broke in the same place. Until a new stronger unit comes out, I wonder if you could weld a peice of 6" long rebar or other metal in the "Vs", both top and botton, right in that spot? (Not rebuid broken ones, but ones that have not broke yet.)

Just thinking of a short term solution, but just don't know if that would make matters worse...
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #59
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

It's obvious there is a lot of leverage on that mount. I bet it is flexing and gaining momentum until it snaps or simply too much leverage for the weight.

Is there a place to attach a 4th mounting hole?
Cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #60
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

I think it needs to be 1: a heavier duty type of metal.
2: a different design, maybe spreading out the load bearing surface.

The problem is in the design of the casting, in other words, unlike the drivers side, which is a vertical casting (which provides more strength) VS the horizontal casting that the passenger side seems to have.
The drivers side (diff support #1) is much much stronger, but not from different material, it's the same metal, just cast different, probably because of the extra weight on the pumpkin (clam-shell actually) side of the axle housing. If anyone was to go out and look at the two sides, you'd see what I mean.
My