Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Default Looking for a New Stereo w/ GPS

Hey guys,
Im ready to catch-up with the times and order a new stereo head unit with a Sat Nav! Id like some good input from you guys on what kind is good and compatible with my 05 4Runner.
Ive been looking around and like these two What do you guys think?
http://www.w2audio.com/buy-toyota-4r...yer-t220-.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

I don't see a manufacturer for either of those. Have you used them in person? You should go test them out, we just went through this with my wife's 4R and what looked good on paper was just TERRIBLE in person. The controls were slow and cumbersome, the options to configure the system were sloppy, the whole unit sucked major ass, so we swapped it for one of these:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX6990HD

I would highly recommend this unit (or its more expensive bigger brother, http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX9990HD) for anyone. The gps is terrific since it's by Garmin, the user interface is brilliant, the split screen toggle for nav/camera or nav/audio or nav/video is super cool, and being a Kenwood it has great audio capabilities and adjustments to help get your tunes sounding better than before.

If you buy one of those el-cheapo no name units you will regret it...
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Thanks Mike, I haven't seen those other units in person so I'm not sure if their any good. I will look into the Kenwood you posted because I'm used to using Garmin GPS already and I want something user friendly.
One question, can you use GPS coordinates with this unit?
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Yes, you can input GPS coords.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Cool, yeah I check it out and I'm planning on going with the 6990 after Christmas!!!
Thanks Mike!
Unread 12-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
arjan
Driver

I got the dnx 6180 a while back (kenwood) and it also has the garmin nav.

I updated the maps to the latest, and added a lot of vehicles etc.

Here is the info how to do it the more affordable way.
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/kenw...-teardown.html
I registered as toy4runner up there.
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
I got the dnx 6180 a while back (kenwood) and it also has the garmin nav.

I updated the maps to the latest, and added a lot of vehicles etc.

Here is the info how to do it the more affordable way.
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/kenw...-teardown.html
I registered as toy4runner up there.
Interesting... so all you did was install updated software and swap out the internal SD card?
Unread 12-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
arjan
Driver

The internal sd card holds the map info. You can find the latest unlocked garmin maps, and install those on the internal card replacing the original maps.

The 'updated' maps I could buy through kenwood were already a year old, I wasn't about to do that. That's when I started searching around.
I use the extension cable and the internal micro sd is now replaced by an external regular sd. I still have the original micro sd unchanged in my desk

I wish I'd know how to add apps to the deck, since it is a windows CE based device.
As it is know, the windows CE installation is not accesable. It's stored in flash memory.
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

Nice! Can you post some photos of how it looks in your 4Runner? Did you just swap out the head unit, or did you replace the complete system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
I don't see a manufacturer for either of those. Have you used them in person? You should go test them out, we just went through this with my wife's 4R and what looked good on paper was just TERRIBLE in person. The controls were slow and cumbersome, the options to configure the system were sloppy, the whole unit sucked major ass, so we swapped it for one of these:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX6990HD

I would highly recommend this unit (or its more expensive bigger brother, http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX9990HD) for anyone. The gps is terrific since it's by Garmin, the user interface is brilliant, the split screen toggle for nav/camera or nav/audio or nav/video is super cool, and being a Kenwood it has great audio capabilities and adjustments to help get your tunes sounding better than before.

If you buy one of those el-cheapo no name units you will regret it...
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealmaker View Post
Nice! Can you post some photos of how it looks in your 4Runner? Did you just swap out the head unit, or did you replace the complete system?
Just the head unit.
www.mikestang.com

Tags
gps, radio, stereo