Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 02-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Talking Custom Made roof racks!!!!!!

So I was checking around on eBay for Surco or other roof racks. Then I found this guys post. From what I can tell, he builds a really nice high quality product, all by hand.

I think that this will be my cargo "safari rack" roof top solution.

Let me know what you guys think!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Welde...QQcmdZViewItem

Forget that the auction has ended, keep scrolling down and check out some of the "competition" and what he is building. He's got quite a lot of pictures!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

I would like a roofrack that replaced the factory rails and botl directly to the roof. ALuminum would be great as well.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I would like a roof-rack that replaced the factory rails and bolt directly to the roof. Aluminum would be great as well.

I think that he'll make it to mount to the roof as well. Just need to take off the OEM rack and cross bars.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
kdubz
Driver

Those look awesome. And like bulldog said mounting directly to the roof would be perfect.

RIP 2005 SR5 4X4. Over 225,000 Miles. Icon Suspension.
kdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

They do look nice, but I have to take personal exception to him using a Surco rack in his ad and calling it out as a cheap piece of garbage. My Surco carried almost 300 lbs on the Mojave Rd. trip with no problems, and this was before I added the extra floor slats and spare tire reinforcement. I haven't had any issues with the bolts "vibrating loose", either.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
They do look nice, but I have to take personal exception to him using a Surco rack in his ad and calling it out as a cheap piece of garbage. My Surco carried almost 300 lbs on the Mojave Rd. trip with no problems, and this was before I added the extra floor slats and spare tire reinforcement. I haven't had any issues with the bolts "vibrating loose", either.
I didn't know that that was a Surco he had on there, he didn't mention any brands. So he's a little biased. But I agree, he should have taken a little bit different approach in his language as it was directed towards other makers.

I've stuck my foot in my mouth too many times I suspect, when someone brings up how great car brand XYZ is, compared to Toyota.
I was still right, but you're not supposed to bash another brand (by name anyway), rather sell the points that do make Toyota (or whatever you're selling) VS the competition (brand XYZ).
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Robert, I think he might be able to do something good for us. Please persue it and see what the final cost sould be for him to supply a rack that bolts directly onto the roof.

The only issue I see is that we really need a third mounting point on each side in the middle which means drilling holes in the roof. I don't know if I could make myself do that.

Oh, and I guess I could powder coated in white....perfect! LOL
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.

Last edited by expat; 02-14-2007 at 11:33 PM.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Robert, I think he might be able to do something good for us. Please pursue it and see what the final cost should be for him to supply a rack that bolts directly onto the roof.

The only issue I see is that we really need a third mounting point on each side in the middle which means drilling holes in the roof. I don't know if I could make myself do that.

Oh, and I guess I could this powder coated in white....perfect! LOL

Okay. So, no mount to the crossbar thing, off comes the OEM and mount right to the roof, right?
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Message sent, with a link to this page. Hopefully he'll log in and introduce himself.
Unread 02-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
K6UK
Driver

I guess we can just go the Nutsert route for the third mount points.
Have any of you installed Nutserts before in sheet metal?

-Mike
K6UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
I didn't know that that was a Surco he had on there, he didn't mention any brands.
The picture part-way down the page of the "Cheap Ass Aluminum Rack" is the Surco rack. He mirror imaged this photo:

I understand his marketing concept, but feel it's poorly executed in this case. Anyways, they look like awesome racks, hope he can accomodate the 4Runner.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com

Last edited by Mikestang; 02-14-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
The picture part-way down the page of the "Cheap Ass Aluminum Rack" is the Surco rack. He mirror imaged this photo:

I understand his marketing concept, but feel it's poorly executed in this case. Anyways, they look like awesome racks, hope he can accommodate the 4Runner.

I agree, show your strengths, and other's supposed weaknesses. But it does look like a quality rack. I'll post up when he gets back to me, or maybe he'll log in here.
Unread 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Speak of the devil!

Here's his reply:

"I read your post and the others and I'll be happy to see what I can come
up with for you.

I can build you a 60" X 45" X 6" rack for $280.00 + $65.00 Greyhound
shipping = $345.00.

I can build mounting feet to attach to the factory holes if you can
measure them up accurately and draw out what you need. Pricing on this
would depend on what the mounting holes look like but will probably run
between $100.00 and $150.00.

Attaching to the factory crossbars would be a bit weaker but as you can
see from the picture in my Ebay auction I had one on my '90 4 Runner and
stood in it regularly to load gear. I would go with a different mounting
system to the crossbars by bolting the rack to them directly.

I read one post about how you need another middle mounting point. You
don't really need it for strength on a 60" rack, they are strong and
will easily support more than your roof with 4 mounting points.

I can work out a deal on a group purchase but that would be based on
buying more than one at a time. Shipping would be great savings if I can
get a bunch of them delivered to the same place.

Let me know what more you need and I'll be happy to get back with you ASAP."
Unread 02-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #14
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Hey blackout-npgcable-com - thanks for tuning in here

Hmmm, so around $500 all up for a single order? What would be the production time from receipt of an order, and can you give us a number on how many you would consider a "group purchase" and what the price would be?

For the members here - I assume some will want a low profile design (fit under garage doors) vs the higher sides as shown in the pictures.
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #15
K6UK
Driver

Quote:
I read one post about how you need another middle mounting point. You
don't really need it for strength on a 60" rack, they are strong and
will easily support more than your roof with 4 mounting points.
I think the roof strength is the point of the third mount point. We would want to distribute the weight as evenly as possible - so that no matter what we have in the rack we aren't over stressing the mount points.

-Mike
K6UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #16
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Hey blackout-npgcable-com - thanks for tuning in here

Hmmm, so around $500 all up for a single order? What would be the production time from receipt of an order, and can you give us a number on how many you would consider a "group purchase" and what the price would be?

For the members here - I assume some will want a low profile design (fit under garage doors) vs the higher sides as shown in the pictures.

I think that with mounting directly to the roof, having taken off the stock roof rack, that a 5" or 6" basket would fit just fine. Probably not so much with mounting to the current roof rack.
Unread 02-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
Blackout

Default Ok, here goes

Hey, I was busy so it took me awhile to sign up but here I am. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll get back with you ASAP.

P.S. if anyone has an aluminum rivet rack they want to donate I'll gladly beat it into a flat pile with one of mine for demonstration purposes : )
Unread 02-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #18
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
P.S. if anyone has an aluminum rivet rack they want to donate I'll gladly beat it into a flat pile with one of mine for demonstration purposes : )
Lol, will you credit me my original purchase price towards your rack?
www.mikestang.com
Unread 02-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #19
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
Hey, I was busy so it took me awhile to sign up but here I am. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll get back with you ASAP.

Be nice now, some of the guys are happy with their aluminum racks. It took a little extra (and accidental) searching to find someone (you) who made anything different.

So lets concentrate on those of us who don't have a rack, and would like another high quality product to add to our vehicles.

Quite frankly, I was just about to buy a Surco, until I somehow came across your eBay post. The Surco does look like a quality product, regardless if it's aluminum or not. But I and others who haven't purchased that brand, would like something built to last.

Welcome to our forum by the way!!
Unread 02-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
Blackout

Default First things first:

Does anybody here have a picture of the factory roof attachment points or some measurements I could check out? That would help as a starting point for what type of feet you'll need to get the rack matched up with the existing threads.