Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Default Quick Hollister test run today

Did a quick run to Hollister today to check for rubbing before BBB. Unfortunately I couldn't get any real pics of myself (kinda hard to take a pic while going over an obstacle).

I met a guy with his FJ Cruiser at the gate as I was about to start airing down. He is on the FJ forums (BzWires), he took his daughter for a quick outing. I saw him again at the quarry and truck hill.

Anyhow I didn't notice any rubbing today and the Toyos seem to grip real well aired down on the loose dort of Hollister (this time of year). Lockers al so seem to work properly as well (front and rear buttons conneted to the right solenoids). I did notice that I will need to get longer rear shocks as my flex is a bit limited for my liking with the bumpstop drop. Also the TImbrens will require me to run taller and firmer coisl as I hit them a lot.

Hopefuly my truck is ready for BBB now.

SO anyway after playing at the quarry, I headed out to truck hill. I sat there for a while (taking poser shots). I did notice that truck hill was chewed up pretty bad in sections and with lots of loose dirt on it. One of the hardest it looked in a long time.

As I was hanging out there a Suz came bywith some guys having fun in the ruts below truck hill.

Then BZ came down the hill and hit one fo the ruts real hard (could hear his skid complainign down at the bottom).

This guy with his FJ was smiling way too much and I couldn't figure out why

COntinued........

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

Anyhow not till I saw this....

Hint, look by the front wheel...

A nice set of King COs in the front and King shocks in the back with Donahoe coils. No wonder they were having so much fun in the FJ.

He then went back up and down the hill, with a sufficient amount of pucker at times.

As we were discussing the benefits of plastic underwear a couple of older Jeeps pitched up. One guy went for truck hill as well. Initially he stalled out at the ruts and had to back down.

He then managed to make it to the top. See if you can actually see the Jeep.

But that didn't happen without him managing to loose his tow strap on the hill. SO he had to go back up and havehis buddy collect it on the way down. My camera was in the truck, or else I could have gotten some real funny pics of a guy slidign sidewys on his shoes down the hill

After all the mayhem I drove up truck hill and saw how big the ruts wer first hand, not nice especially with the tons of loose dirt on the surface of the hill. AT the top I didn't bear left and managed to go over the hump to the hill climb return (not my inteded direction). I nearly flopped the 4Runner as the the road does down very steep to the side after you go over the bump. I managed to tuen around (500 point turn, while pushing bushes out of the way with my SW bumper). DAC does make life very simple down hills like this as the 4Runner simply walked down it, nice, easy adn controlled.

Anyhow that was it, I had to head back after airing up at the ranger station (saving my CO2 ).

2019 Low Rider
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Truckhill is scary - and I've only been down it! Sure is dry out there eh!?
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Truckhill is scary - and I've only been down it! Sure is dry out there eh!?
It was a lot worse today than the last time we were there, some of the ruts were 2 ft or more deep. To add to the effect there is about 6" of loose dirt on most fo the surface, reason why so many pics were sideways. I even got sideways as well (rear locker obviously helps to induce this).

Yeah this time of the year HH turns into a big dustbowl, which makes some trails dead easy and some of the climbs really nasty. Good testground for me though, as it is pretty close to my house.

2019 Low Rider