Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Darklight
Old Timer

Default Total Chaos Plus 2" Long Travel Swaybar

How else would you control Chaos?

After running my truck without a front swaybar for over 8 years and no rear swaybar for 5, I decided it was time to look into one. A Currie AntiRock can be fabbed up to work with the rear but after talking to Total Chaos they started developing a solution for the Plus 2” Long Travel kit last summer so, I put the AntiRock on hold as this would be developed.

Well it was well worth the wait!

Total Chaos used the same diameter bar as the stock, just wider to account for Plus 2”LT width and travel. The end result is controlled Chaos!
First impressions, I could tell the difference immediately once installed. My truck is very heavy and having the roof rack and tire carrier and ladder on the rear, really pitches the truck around in turns and it’s passengers. Nothing real bad but I do tend to drive a little faster now in turns with the LT on the front. Never seemed uncontrolled, just leans in turns, then flattens back out. I kind of like driving like that but my wife does not.
With the stock sway bar there is concerns for travel restrictions or limits. Total Chaos took all this in to mind when they developed the LT swaybar and it does not heed any travel numbers or restrict travel. It simply works to control body lean or sway in turns. I need more seat time and off road testing but it is definitely more stable and planted in turns now.

Since the LT swaybar was developed for the Plus 2” Long Travel Kit that covers the Tacoma, FJ and 4Runner. You will need the stock swaybar end links, bushing and bushing bracket to carry over onto the new Long Travel swaybar. New reservoir weld on mounts, swaybar spacer, longer mounting hardware and collar locks are provided with the swaybar. As well as step by step instructions.

The remote reservoirs need to be installed at an angle putting them out of the way from the swaybar so it doesn’t interfere or get bumped by the swaybar. The pass side is a little tight on the 4Runner with the washer reservoir being there. Having a small ¾” bodylift helped create more room on the pass area of the passenger frame.

The King LT coilovers with adjusters on the remote reservoirs are MASSIVE. I mean really long and the hose uses a 90* fitting on them. After doing some test fitting in the drive way I was a little concerned for fitment with the washer reservoir. The washer reservoir is retained.
With the reservoirs removed and mounts grinded off and frame smoothed down, we went on to install the swaybar and then figure out where the resis needed to be mounted for clearance.
Once we got in there to tack the resi mounts it was not an issue. Had to fiddle with the hoses and swivel them a little out of the way.
Figured out the angles we needed for clearance and tacked the mounts in.

On to some install pictures.

Comparison next to stock bar:

Endlinks, Bushing and bracket carried over:

Test fit swaybar and then figure out angles for the resis.
Tacking in mounts:

Angle needed for mounts:
Pass side:

Drivers side:

Mounted up:
Pass side:

Drivers side:

2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote