Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Off Topic Area > Off Topic Chat

Unread 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default Build threads

This is in reaction to something I have been thinking about for some time.

I would like to know your thoughts. (flame suit on )

My first question relates to purpose. What is the purpose of a build thread?

My second question relates to the first. Should build threads be "protected" from posts that question the owners decisions over their mods?

My thoughts...

A build thread is created by an owner because "we" all have a little "ego" over our vehicles and the mods we make.

A build thread is so an owner can profile their vehicle and the mods they are doing.

A build thread is not the place for other posters to challenge what the owner has done.

Where a forum member has a question over the mods that are displayed in a build thread, they should either create a new thread or pm the owner.

I believe the owner should have the right to maintain a clean thread on their vehicle, free from criticism.

I think positive comments are great in a build thread.

There should be a sticky that addresses "Replies to Build Threads"

For sure you can say that this is the web and people should be able to post whatever they like but the fact is we do have established rules already that govern what and how we post.

For sure you can say that posters should expect all comers whenever you post anything.

For sure you could say people should be more thick skinned if they are posting on the web.

For sure you could say your opinion is just your opinion.

For sure "I" can say that not everyone is like you, and your comments can affect other people, and do.

For sure I can say that some people are always so negative that you get to know who to ignore and who to take seriously.

I think build threads should be kept isolated from these issues.

Thoughts?
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.

Last edited by expat; 12-21-2010 at 12:44 PM.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
trdmedic
Driver

I think this is a good idea. Like other forums ie tacoma world and fjcruiserforums. I think though people should be able to comment on the build as far as like suggestions to make something better. Such as where is a better to place to mount cb antenna, securing equipment, placement ect ect, but not bash someone for what mod the chose, coilovers vs spacer. We all pick mods for our purpose. Not every rig is a rock crawler. Im all for it
trdmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Teotwaki
Adventurer

I agree with you Expat. A thread owner should be able to flag a post and simply ask that it be removed. This type of sheeting in a thread issue was at the root of the problems on Expo Portal.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
HBmurphy
Custom User Title

Sensorship ends up with things like this:

Last edited by HBmurphy; 02-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
HBmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwaki View Post
A thread owner should be able to flag a post and simply ask that it be removed.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

Cleaner build threads is a good idea. The "owner" of the thread should have the option as to what posts stay in the thread. We have cleaned up a few in the past, but the ability to comment in a build thread would be good, but not a lengthy discussion.

So would the ability of the "owner" to get posts cleaned be able to achieve that purpose?

bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
PapaSmurf009
Peach State PreRunner

I like the idea.

Jim

My Build
PapaSmurf009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBmurphy View Post
That ain't censorship, that's Artistic License!
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

I think build threads should allow commentary from members. Opinions and advice will help shape the build and continuity within the thread will show the casual reader the thought process behind the mods. It helped me.

The option of deleting irrelevant posts or OT conversations (arguments amongst people not involving the OP) within the build thread should be enabled.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
HBmurphy
Custom User Title

Last edited by HBmurphy; 02-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Mark, you have too much time on your hands during X Mas break to think that all out!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
Seabee
Driver

As long as you are asking....................We are all adults here. It seems to me that you are trying to coddle everybody in an effort to keep their fragile sensabilities from getting damaged. Since when was constructive criticism a bad thing? If there is a post where somebody is just being a complete butthole just delete that post. This aint rocket surgery.

Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #13
AlexJet
Old Timer

I don't mind people asking me questions in my "Build Thread". This may also help others if they have similar question.
What I personally missing in "Build Thread" is the ability to insert posts. My opinion is that the owner may (only in threads he started in "Build" section by himself) insert or move posts up and down. This will lead to organizing them much better. See it this way, there is a limitation on Mount info you can have in a single post, you have allot to post. Owner start posting and while he doing 2nd, 3rd or whatever post, someone asks question. It would be great if the owner can finish posting his posts and then move them all to first pages, so questions are actually starts after the info posted. Right now you have to make 2-3 dummy post to fill them later, so you have all the data in one place.
Is this possible
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
As long as you are asking....................We are all adults here. It seems to me that you are trying to coddle everybody in an effort to keep their fragile sensabilities from getting damaged. Since when was constructive criticism a bad thing? If there is a post where somebody is just being a complete butthole just delete that post. This aint rocket surgery.
I couldn't agree more. Lets all stop being hypocritical, because everyone is guilty of posting negative comments in others threads and build threads, so who are we to be sensative when others post in ours. I can count pages of unwanted posts in my thread. Do I complain to the Mods to have them removed? No. Do I care enough to have them removed? No, because I don't own this forum and I just bypass them by scrolling past them. This is a public forum and everyone has the right to express themselves, whether we like it or not. Just because someone gives negative feedback in your thread or build thread doesn't mean it doesn't belong there. If you want sensorship and a chaperon, create your own thread and have it locked by the mods that way nobody can post. I think some of the negativity is when some slander perfectly good products that others are using without the stated lack of performance or craftsmanship. Other issues that start heated debates is when someone has done a mod that they are proud of, but others that don't understand the purpose slander it to death. I find people are misunderstood at times and others take things too serious and personal. Some don't like that and label that person an asshole. Think we all need to be more open minded rather than creating dictatorship of posts.

Last edited by BajaRnnr; 12-22-2010 at 12:39 PM.
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
Ludedude
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
I couldn't agree more. Lets all stop being hypocritical, because everyone is guilty of posting negative comments in others threads and build threads, so who are we to be sensative when others post in ours. I can count pages of unwanted posts in my thread. Do I complain to the Mods to have them removed? No. Do I care enough to have them removed? No, because I don't own this forum. This is a public forum and everyone has the right to express themselves, whether we like it or not. If you want sensorship and a chaperon, create your own thread and have it locked by the mods that way nobody can post. I think some of the negativity is when some slander perfectly good products that others are using. Other issues that start heated debates is when someone has done a mod that they are proud of, but others that don't understand the purpose slander it to death. I find people are misunderstood at times and others take things too serious and personal. Some don't like that and label that person an asshole. Think we all need to be more open minded rather than creating dictatorship of posts.
Yep, I agree with these points of view. No one lives in a bubble, if you put your stuff out there then you need to be able to deal with kudos and criticism equally. I'm not in favor of fostering the artificially insulated world that's become so popular as of late.
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #16
HBmurphy
Custom User Title

Last edited by HBmurphy; 02-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
mntbikr18
Senior Driver

So people post these threads and want nothing but praise? If you're looking for attention on a public forum you should expect all kinds of comments.
mntbikr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
Seabee
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludedude View Post
Yep, I agree with these points of view. No one lives in a bubble, if you put your stuff out there then you need to be able to deal with kudos and criticism equally. I'm not in favor of fostering the artificially insulated world that's become so popular as of late.

I couldn't agree more.

Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I guess what I was thinking more about was not the fragility of our senses, but more the opportunity to display mods without the thread being cluttered by criticism. Hence my first question - what is the purpose of the build threads?

To clarify further, a bit like a personal web space to show your truck.

Not sure there has been any particular "controversy" Murph. although I am sure someone here will try to make a connection LOL.

In a forum I use to be active on several years ago there was a link section where you could go look thru all the owners vehicles and see the specs and their mods without wading thru lots of conversation.

mtnbkr - i didn't say the expectation was "nothing but praise". I just dont think positive comments tend to clutter threads tho. IMO.
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.

Last edited by expat; 12-22-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

The downside might be that maybe some interesting conversations might not exist without comments.