Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > Tacoma & Hilux

Unread 12-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Default 2014 Tacoma Questions Does it have a locker?

Hi guys! So I'm borrowing my father-in-laws 2014 Tacoma while I do some work on my 08 4Runner. I'm trying to figure out if the Taco has a locker in them or not. I looked over the spec sheet and it just says that it has the Auto LSD, which my 4Runner has as well which means brake controlled "locker". Now this morning I tested it on dirt in 4LO and it felt like I had a tire dragging, which I take as having it a locked rear end. The best I could find in the manual is if it has a locker there should be a button for it on the dash. I also noticed that in 4HI it seems there is some resistance to turning corners, so I don't want to break anything.

I ask this as my 4Runner can run 4WD on pavement full time as the front and rear diffs are open. I want to be able to exercise the 4WD on the Tacoma while I'm watching my FIL's truck for the next few years. Can anyone tell me either where to look, or how to tell for sure?
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

The Taco doesn't have a center diff like the 4Runner. Did you experience front/rear bind vs just the rear axle? Try the same in the 4Runner and lock the center diff.

Some Tacos have a real limited slip diff in the back IIRC, and some an elocker, others are just some form of TRAC.

bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
The Taco doesn't have a center diff like the 4Runner. Did you experience front/rear bind vs just the rear axle? Try the same in the 4Runner and lock the center diff.

Some Tacos have a real limited slip diff in the back IIRC, and some an elocker, others are just some form of TRAC.
I think what I felt was the rear tire dragging when on a hard turn. I'm going to try the same thing when in 4HI to see if I feel it there too. On my 73 Nova with a rear locker, I could hear it chirp the tires if I cornered too hard in it for it to engage.

From what I could tell it sounds as if the locker or limited slip is an option that should be on the sales sheet, which I never saw it on there. Nor mention of a center lock.

For the 4Runner, I've currently got it lifted in the air with the front end taken apart as I'm installing the TC cam tabs, so I can't try that till that's all put back together. But I will test what it does on a turn with the center locked.
Unread 12-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
UnionJack
Old Timer

Is it a TRD off road or TRD sport? The off road has a e locker, button left side of steering wheel the sport has a LSD.

I have found that in 4 hi the rear will bind on pavement because it has no center diff.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

I have a 2012 4wd Tacoma TRD Offroad. The locker button is as stated by Jon, on the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel. The locker doesn't self engage when in 4wd, you have to put the truck in neutral and press the locker button to activate the rear locker.You can't drive in 4wd on pavement, you're going to bind up the front CV's or worse, snap a CV. Tacoma's don't have the center diff lock option like the 4runners do, so the tires need to be able to slip when making turns. Only way you can drive in 4wd on pavement is if you're driving on a snow covered road, or the surface is loose so the tires can slip when making turns.
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Is it a TRD off road or TRD sport? The off road has a e locker, button left side of steering wheel the sport has a LSD.

I have found that in 4 hi the rear will bind on pavement because it has no center diff.
It's a TRD Sport. Confirmed, no button! I looked under the Taco and then at my 4Runner, that transfer case does look to be shorter on the Taco versus my 4Runner with the center diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRnnr View Post
I have a 2012 4wd Tacoma TRD Offroad. The locker button is as stated by Jon, on the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel. The locker doesn't self engage when in 4wd, you have to put the truck in neutral and press the locker button to activate the rear locker.You can't drive in 4wd on pavement, you're going to bind up the front CV's or worse, snap a CV. Tacoma's don't have the center diff lock option like the 4runners do, so the tires need to be able to slip when making turns. Only way you can drive in 4wd on pavement is if you're driving on a snow covered road, or the surface is loose so the tires can slip when making turns.
Sucks that the 4wd system is like that on the Tacoma. It's nice being able to run 4WD on my 4Runner on the pavement when it's dry out. It's good to be able to exercise the 4wd system monthly without any issues and having to find a 10 mile dirt road as per the manual.

I've noticed that this Tacoma is lacking a number of features that my 08 4Runner has. Like hood lift shocks, self starting ignition system, the auto up and down on the drivers side window, the digital outside temp reading, the digital team control of the heating/cooling system, & the center diff. I'm sure there are more, but I'd have to go out and hunt for more stuff. Makes me wonder if the newer 4Runners don't have them either, or if Toyota was just being cheap with the Tacoma.

Okay, I'm done. lol

Thank you guys for confirming the information!
Unread 12-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

TRD Sport, No Locker. TRD Off Road package, YES It's got a LOCKER........It's that simple!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
It's a TRD Sport. Confirmed, no button! I looked under the Taco and then at my 4Runner, that transfer case does look to be shorter on the Taco versus my 4Runner with the center diff.

Sucks that the 4wd system is like that on the Tacoma. It's nice being able to run 4WD on my 4Runner on the pavement when it's dry out. It's good to be able to exercise the 4wd system monthly without any issues and having to find a 10 mile dirt road as per the manual.

I've noticed that this Tacoma is lacking a number of features that my 08 4Runner has. Like hood lift shocks, self starting ignition system, the auto up and down on the drivers side window, the digital outside temp reading, the digital team control of the heating/cooling system, & the center diff. I'm sure there are more, but I'd have to go out and hunt for more stuff. Makes me wonder if the newer 4Runners don't have them either, or if Toyota was just being cheap with the Tacoma.

Okay, I'm done. lol

Thank you guys for confirming the information!
It's a truck bro, not a luxury SUV. I purchased redline tuning hood struts for my truck for $99, Not having the self starting iginition is a good thing, I have the one touch down don't really care it doesn't have the one touch up, mine displays the outside temp in the mirror(probably a setting you need to find), I find I can more accurately set the in cab temp and do it faster and haven't needed to run 4wd on the street since I get out and wheel my truck. All personal preference, but I love my truck more than the 4runner I had.
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
All personal preference, but I love my truck more than the 4runner I had.
And we all know why.... why, because it's 4 wheel drive

I do like auto up though

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
It's a truck bro, not a luxury SUV. I purchased redline tuning hood struts for my truck for $99, Not having the self starting ignition is a good thing, I have the one touch down don't really care it doesn't have the one touch up, mine displays the outside temp in the mirror(probably a setting you need to find), I find I can more accurately set the in cab temp and do it faster and haven't needed to run 4wd on the street since I get out and wheel my truck. All personal preference, but I love my truck more than the 4runner I had.
I wouldn't call the 4Runner a luxury SUV, mines an SR5, not a limited or sport. Also I looked for any sort of thing that would display the temps in the mirrors and there wasn't anything.

Why is it good not having the self starting ignition? I've gotten so used to it with my wife's TL and my 4runner, couldn't tell you how many times in the last 2 weeks I bump the engine and then realize that it didn't start.

Either way, this is my father-in-laws truck and not mine, I was borrowing it while working on my truck. I have come to love the fact that I really do like my 4Runner better than the Taco. However now if it was the Tundra, I'm sure I would loved it more than my 4Runner.

For the 4wd, since he's not an off-roader, but gets 4wd for winter weather when we go skiing, having the center selectable diff is nice for lubing the system up when not off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
And we all know why.... why, because it's 4 wheel drive

I do like auto up though
Yeah the auto windows are nice!

Either way, to each their own!
Unread 12-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

Today's the first day that I was driving my 4Runner and I tried the center diff locked on gravel and it gave me the same feeling of something locked/binding.
Unread 12-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
GreenThumb
Rookie

This is one of my favorite links when these type of subjects arise.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/diffs/diffs.html
GreenThumb is offline   Reply With Quote