Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 07-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
Fillmoreslim
Driver

Default Switch lights on the dash not working

F'd up today. I was trying to add a switch for some ditch lights I'm installing and I shorted out the two wires I was using for the switch light. The wires were from an unused harness behind the dash. One was 12V and the other went from 12V to 0V as you turn up the rheostat on the dash.

I think both lines are dead now and none of my switches light up any more. Must be a fuse or the rheostat right? The strange thing is that the gauges,radio and climate control lights still work and dim with the dimmer. I think all those lights come on with the key but the switch lights only come on once the headlights go on. Could they be on a separate fuse?
2007 4runner SR5 Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks, MT LT rear springs, Camburg UCA's, MT lower links, CVJ CV axles, 285/70/R17 GY DuraTracs, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, Fuel Octane Wheels, DO front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10 winch w/ synthetic line, Full BudBuilt skids, Weathertech floor liners, CBI rear bumper, Baja rack, Safari snorkel
Fillmoreslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmoreslim View Post
F'd up today. I was trying to add a switch for some ditch lights I'm installing and I shorted out the two wires I was using for the switch light. The wires were from an unused harness behind the dash. One was 12V and the other went from 12V to 0V as you turn up the rheostat on the dash.

I think both lines are dead now and none of my switches light up any more. Must be a fuse or the rheostat right? The strange thing is that the gauges,radio and climate control lights still work and dim with the dimmer. I think all those lights come on with the key but the switch lights only come on once the headlights go on. Could they be on a separate fuse?
I did the same when installing my stereo, it's a fuse. I forget which one it is but I blew 3 separate fuses when messing around with the wiring back there, just start pulling them all out and checking if they're ok.
Unread 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Fillmoreslim
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I did the same when installing my stereo, it's a fuse. I forget which one it is but I blew 3 separate fuses when messing around with the wiring back there, just start pulling them all out and checking if they're ok.

That was it! The 10A TAIL fuse was blown. Apparently my tail lights were also out. Thanks for the help!
2007 4runner SR5 Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks, MT LT rear springs, Camburg UCA's, MT lower links, CVJ CV axles, 285/70/R17 GY DuraTracs, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, Fuel Octane Wheels, DO front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10 winch w/ synthetic line, Full BudBuilt skids, Weathertech floor liners, CBI rear bumper, Baja rack, Safari snorkel
Fillmoreslim is offline   Reply With Quote