Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 01-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Robinhood4x4
Driver

Default Aux audio jack repair

At some point along the way, Toyota started installing an auxiliary audio jack in the center console of the 4th gen 4runners so you could plug in your ipod to the sound system, via headphone jacks (3.5mm plug). Mine started going intermittent on me a while ago which was really annoying when listening to my podcasts during my commute into work. Evidently, I'm not the only one because a quick google search revealed lots of complaints on various toyota forums, not just 4runner specific forums.

The fix is a $75-100 replacement for what amounts to about a $1 electronic part. Incidentally, there's also a TSB that came out in Aug of 2007 for excessive audio noise when the MP3 device is plugged into the charger and sounds system at the same time. This is TSB AU004-07(See this thread for the TSB), "Noise from auxiliary port with external device" and it affects 06-07 4runners, Prius, Rav4, 07 camry, camry HV, FJ cruiser, solara, and yaris. It shows the previous part number 86190-53010, which is the part that broke in my 4runner, and the new part number 86190-48010. According to the TSB, these are the same part numbers for the Camry CBU (whatever that means), FJ cruiser, Prius, Rav4, and Yaris. It also looks like there is a filter that goes inline, but I'm unsure of the part number since I didn't actually do the TSB.

So, not wanting to spend $100 on a stupid little part, I decided to take it apart and see what's wrong and hopefully fix it. Usually what happens is the solder joint breaks on a circuit board and just needs to be remelted. Using a magnifying glass, I didn't see anything wrong. So then I thought maybe the spring contacts in the jack needed to be bent back into shape, especially when I pulled up on the plug, it would work again. That didn't work. Finally I decided to unsolder the jack from the board and really take it apart and see what makes it tick.

To do this right, I really needed a solder sucker to properly unsolder the contacts, but I didn't have one so I made due. This resulted in a couple Oopsies. I ended up breaking off one of the prongs and delaminating one of the traces from the circuit board. Delaminating the trace wasn't so bad, because it ended up that I didn't need it anyway for this fix (more on that later). The broken prong was bad because I did need it so I ended up jamming a piece of wire in there and soldering it all together.

There were a lot of pieces but luckily, most things only go in one way or it's easy to figure out where it goes.

So this is what turned out to be the problem. The plastic clip had cracked in half.

The reason this is a problem is best explained when one understands what the circuits are doing. What happens is the radio is looking for a signal from the jack telling it whether there is a plug plugged in. If there's no plug, then it'll switch to the CD player mode. If there is a plug, the it'll switch to the "Aux" mode.

The middle contact acts as a 3 way switch. When there is no plug, the contact is normally closed with the top contact in the picture below. This tells the radio there is no plug. When there is a plug inserted, the plug pushed down on the black plastic piece and it in turn pushes down on the middle contact, opening the top circuit and closing the bottom circuit. This tells the radio there is a plug inserted.

Because the plastic clip broke in half, it could no longer push down on the middle contact and the radio would intermittently turn off the Aux mode and revert to CD or since I didn't have a CD, it reverted to the radio.

To fix this, all I did was bend the middle contact down so it always remains in contact with the bottom contact. Of course, this means I can no longer use the CD player, but who uses CDs now-a-days anyway? This is why I didn't need that trace that delaminated; it's the CD circuit.

After all was said and done, I soldered it back together, reinstalled it, it's almost good as new.
Unread 11-30-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
RocketSledder77
Rookie

Wow that is very helpful. How did you get it out of the center console and how do you reinstall it?
RocketSledder77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Great write up as usual.

Looks like a lot of delicate work to solve the issue, $100 is pretty steep for such a simple part.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
DrMatthewDunn
Rookie

Default solder aux permanently on

I'm breaking in an '08 Lexus GX470 with this problem. This was an incredibly helpful post!
FWIW, I decided to just solder the circuit so AUX is permanent.
The Lexus module may be slightly different, but on that module...the 2 leads farthest from the jack tested as the circuit-to-be-closed.

As long as you're happy with semi-permanent Aux source, it's worth testing yourself.

Last edited by DrMatthewDunn; 07-31-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: image
DrMatthewDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
This is TSB AU004-07(See this thread for the TSB), "Noise from auxiliary port with external device" and it affects 06-07 4runners, Prius, Rav4, 07 camry, camry HV, FJ cruiser, solara, and yaris. It shows the previous part number 86190-53010, which is the part that broke in my 4runner, and the new part number 86190-48010. According to the TSB, these are the same part numbers for the Camry CBU (whatever that means), FJ cruiser, Prius, Rav4, and Yaris.
Does the OP still post here? I never realized there was a TSB for this, as my aux. jack has started acting up and has always had the excessive noise issue. A search for the -48010 part number, however, states that it is not compatible with my '07. Is it truly plug and play with that part number? I do actually listen to cd's still so I don't want to lose that function and would rather pay the exorbitant price for a new jack.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #6
Robinhood4x4
Driver

Sorry, I couldn't tell ya. Since I fixed it myself, I didn't buy the part.