Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 08-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default iPad for mapping

My eyes are failing me - I need a bigger screen to view maps on the go.

I tried using my iPhone as a hotspot for my iPad and using either Google Maps or the embedded Maps software that Apple supplies on the iPad.

I can pull up directions and see maps but the locator won't follow my position well, won't auto reroute and doesn't want to keep the tracking heading up the screen.

Am I doing something wrong or will this just not work?
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
My eyes are failing me - I need a bigger screen to view maps on the go.

I tried using my iPhone as a hotspot for my iPad and using either Google Maps or the embedded Maps software that Apple supplies on the iPad.

I can pull up directions and see maps but the locator won't follow my position well, won't auto reroute and doesn't want to keep the tracking heading up the screen.

Am I doing something wrong or will this just not work?
You've probably checked this already, but what are the location settings on the iPad? It sounds like the GPS antenna is turned off, and it's trying to use the location of your phone's internet signal. I'm not familiar with iPads, but it should be under "location services" in settings, or something similar.
Unread 08-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Have not tried with hotspot, but you may want to see if the iPad can get it's location on a normal wifi. Dont know if non cell iPads have gps build in.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Wifi location isn't going to help you much on the trail, you need gps.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

The non-cellular iPads (WiFi only) have a GPS triangulation that can detect location. Apparently not as accurate as A-GPS found in the cellular iPads, but close.

I also understand that using my iPhone 5 as a Hotspot gives me access to the internet for the iPad using wifi. (this is tethering)

I am still confused why around town the iPad wont
- auto re-route
- wont track upwards

At this stage I'm just trying to get a bigger map view for cities and highways. Off road would be great but not my objective currently.

Thx
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
Unread 08-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
The non-cellular iPads (WiFi only) have a GPS triangulation that can detect location. Apparently not as accurate as A-GPS found in the cellular iPads, but close.

I also understand that using my iPhone 5 as a Hotspot gives me access to the internet for the iPad using wifi. (this is tethering)

I am still confused why around town the iPad wont
- auto re-route
- wont track upwards

At this stage I'm just trying to get a bigger map view for cities and highways. Off road would be great but not my objective currently.

Thx
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, so sorry if this comes out wrong. I think the GPS is trying to use both your iPad's GPS antenna as well as the location being provided through the tethered connection of the phone. My guess is that it's getting confused between the two and that's why it's not tracking or orienting properly. Have you tried running it without being tethered to the phone, and only using the GPS signal provided by the iPad itself?

Side note: you probably know this already, but you can download areas on google maps for offline use, and therefore wouldn't need to be tethered to the phone for map usage. I recently did this on a trip to the mountains, and even in areas with zero cell service I was able to type in addresses and get accurate directions to places, all without cell service. The only thing missing is traffic data, but once you hit an area with cell service it will double-check itself and see if there's a faster route. You can download very large areas, just be aware they can take up a bit of storage space. Extremely useful though!
Unread 08-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
bulldog
Admin

I don't know, but suspect the GPS unit on the WiFi iPad is not that great and it is getting confused by the iPhone hotspot Wifi. You can try a different map app like Waze to see if that helps. Also perhaps check out some of the iOS forums to see if others have had similar issues and resolutions. Ideally an app that uses the iPad's display only and leverages the iPhone's location and Wifi (i.e navigate on the iPhone but just tethers the input and display on the iPad).

See this
http://www.larrytalkstech.com/add-gp...r-ipad-2-wifi/

Basically it seems the GPS on WiFi iPads may be crap at best.

2019 Low Rider

Last edited by bulldog; 08-11-2016 at 08:05 AM.
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Jeffe
Rookie

I use this plugged into my ipad https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail works great
Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe View Post
I use this plugged into my ipad https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail works great
Score! Xmas present on order! Thank you.
Unread 12-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
Blowout
Senior Driver

How and where did you mount your iPad?
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
Fillmoreslim
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout View Post
How and where did you mount your iPad?
I mounted mine like this:
(link in case the photo doesn't show up: https://imgur.com/a/jEJda)
I got this RAM mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this iPad mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2007 4runner SR5 Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks, MT LT rear springs, Camburg UCA's, MT lower links, CVJ CV axles, 285/70/R17 GY DuraTracs, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, Fuel Octane Wheels, DO front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10 winch w/ synthetic line, Full BudBuilt skids, Weathertech floor liners, CBI rear bumper, Baja rack, Safari snorkel
Fillmoreslim is offline   Reply With Quote