Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Quint
Right coast Runner

Default upper ball joint boot broken, replace joint or new uca?

taking a look under my vehicle yesterday and noticed that there is a small hole in the boot for the ball joint on the upper control arm. my dilemma is should i bring it to the dealership for replacement or just swap it out for the light racing upper control arms. anybody out there with any exp. with toyota and the replacement of the ball joint($$?) also how difficult it is to replace the whole control arm. also how long will my existing ball joint last with a hole in the boot?
2005 sport - OW 2.5 - Budbuilt skids- BFG MT km2 285/70/17- FJ wheels - Shrockworks sliders- T.C. LCA and rear link skids - wabfab rear swaybar links- all pro ultimate lower links - magnaflow exhaust- k&n intake- Total Chaos uca & panhard - dual batteries - Perkins bumper - Smitty XRC8 - ARB CKMA12 onboard air - 2.5 gal. viair tank - 4.56 gears and rear ARB
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

If the joint is good you should be able to get a new boot and grease. If the joint is has gone bad, then new UCAs will be the way to go.

The UCAs does require you to bend the inner fender a little to install on a truck with no body lift. See the tech write ups on this topic.

Toyota will only replace the whole UCA, so you might want to look at light racing units.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Quint
Right coast Runner

Thanks for the tips, would toyota replace the boot for me, im due for 80k service anyway.
2005 sport - OW 2.5 - Budbuilt skids- BFG MT km2 285/70/17- FJ wheels - Shrockworks sliders- T.C. LCA and rear link skids - wabfab rear swaybar links- all pro ultimate lower links - magnaflow exhaust- k&n intake- Total Chaos uca & panhard - dual batteries - Perkins bumper - Smitty XRC8 - ARB CKMA12 onboard air - 2.5 gal. viair tank - 4.56 gears and rear ARB
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

I expect a dealer will want to replace the whole UCA and explain how it's one unit and doesn't have serviceable parts. That's the story I got about the LCA's ball joint and it's leaking boot. I had a tiny tiny crack that was also leaking grease. I ended up cleaning the boot and applying a silicone (goop should work well) to seal it up. Seems to have worked so far (several months).

Other members have been successful in replacing the balls joints themselves using presses.
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabedude View Post
I expect a dealer will want to replace the whole UCA and explain how it's one unit and doesn't have serviceable parts. That's the story I got about the LCA's ball joint and it's leaking boot. I had a tiny tiny crack that was also leaking grease. I ended up cleaning the boot and applying a silicone (goop should work well) to seal it up. Seems to have worked so far (several months).

Other members have been successful in replacing the balls joints themselves using presses.
There are replacement parts for the LCA I ordered one today will post up the part number when I get it. It was not obvious to the parts dept that this was available until I prodded a bit having found the info on line somewhere else. Not sure about the UCA and the site I used no longer has pics to make it easy to figure out because Toyota complained: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
UnionJack
Old Timer

Default Replacement boots for upper and lower CAs

Here's the part diagram for the UCA and LCA boot replacements. The part number for the upper is 43324-69085 lists at $10.17, right and left are the same. I'll have the lower boot in hand tomorrow so will post the part number then (again the right and left will be the same) had to come from LA they didn't have it locally.

Unread 12-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
UnionJack
Old Timer

Default LCA boot part #

Part number for the LCA replacement boot: 43345-69025, list $27.21.

Unread 12-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
kylebacc
Driver

That's wonderful information! I broke my driver's side UCA boot and they told me I had to replace the whole UCA. I said screw it I'll ride it like that but now that I know you can order the pieces, I will do that. Thanks sorry for the hi jack!
kylebacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebacc View Post
That's wonderful information! I broke my driver's side UCA boot and they told me I had to replace the whole UCA. I said screw it I'll ride it like that but now that I know you can order the pieces, I will do that. Thanks sorry for the hi jack!
That's not a hi jack, that's why I posted the info Glad it helped you out.

Unread 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Quint
Right coast Runner

yes thank you for the info, as far as i can tell though my ball joint has gone bad. I was getting a metallic pop when going slow over bumps and when applying the brakes so i lifted the tire off the ground and there seems to be signifigant play at the upper ball joiint.
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
yes thank you for the info, as far as i can tell though my ball joint has gone bad. I was getting a metallic pop when going slow over bumps and when applying the brakes so i lifted the tire off the ground and there seems to be signifigant play at the upper ball joiint.
Might want to check your tie rods too then. If ball joints are bad, then tie rods are a strong possibility too.
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Josh220
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Might want to check your tie rods too then. If ball joints are bad, then tie rods are a strong possibility too.
What signs are indicative of failing tie rods? Is that when you get the popping/creaking?