Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 07-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Default Bosch/Micron Air cabin filter replacement

I was never impressed with the filtering of the stock Toyota cabin filter. It was also very expensive amd since I do a lot of offroad driving it never lasted very long. This made it pretty expensive for poor quality filtration.

I then made a homemade cabin filter using home A/C filters and cutting them. More detial here http://www.toyota120.com/html/cabin_filter.html

This provided real good filtration, but was a pain to cut and fit everytime. Also sealing the edges with tape was a PITA.

I have been looking for a replacement filter that provides good filtration and can just be popped in. Well Mircon Air makes cabin filter for the 4R now. They are ditrubed by Bosch and availible at Autozone outlets. Normally you have to order them and they arrive 2 days later. They retial for around $19 each, a bit cheaper than the Toyota one. The quality of the material and filter is howver far superior to the OEM cabin filter and the very similar to the 3M filter material. The filter worked great at BBB.

Part # Bosch (F00E160176)

Below a pic of the OEM vs Bosch Micron Air filter.

bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
r0cky
Driver

thanks for posting this ... i think i'm in the market for a new filter.

did you ever have the issue of the inside of your windshield getting kind of dirty from the A/C?

for a long time i didn't have that problem, but it has recently developed and one suggestion on some forum was to replace the cabin air filter. since i haven't done that in a longgggg time, i figure it's worth doing now anyway.

i will definitely be ordering this Bosch/Micron one, thanks!
r0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
05sport4x4
Driver

Andries,

About how often do you change your filter? I have about 13 months on mine and Iím not having any problems with the windows fogging up yet. I guess it is time to pull it out and look. How is the Bosch filter working for you so far (after the AB trip)?

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
bulldog
Admin

I have put in the filter before Big Bear. So it has seen BB, Pismo twice and Anza. The filtration is still great. I haven't even looked at it again. It filters really well and I'm very happy with it. It works way better than the stock filter and pretty much the same as with cutting and sealing the high quality 3M filter.

I definitely recommend this filter. It is more expensive than cutting up the 3M filter, but also a lot easier to use. It actually looks like this filter might last a bit longer than the 3M filter. I will probably replace it March next year or so, will see.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 12-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
r0cky
Driver

http://www.autobarn.net/boschcabinairfilters.html

Does that look like what you have, Andries? It looks like they offer the "activated charcoal" and the regular particulate filters, but only have the particulate filter available for the 03+ 4Runner:

http://www.autobarn.net/particulatefilter.html

My autozone had no idea what I was talking about when I called today, so I've been trying to find the Micronair/Bosch ones online, and am hoping that's the one!
Unread 12-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

Dunno, it looks to be right. It lists a Bosch cabin filter so it is probably correct adn the proce looks to be in the ballpark.

I just went to my Autozone and gave them the part # listed above, said it is a cabin filter and they ordered it for me. No issues.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
r0cky
Driver

[bulldog - i wonder if perhaps this ought to be in the maintenance section?]

Well, today I received the Bosch air filter in the mail from autobarn.com and installed it in about two minutes. It was so easy to install and is very nice and white (clean).

The stock filter wasn't nearly as dirty as I expected, but it still feels good knowing I have a clean one in there now, and the Bosch filter just feels thicker/sturdier.

I definitely recommend this cheap and easy "mod" for when you have to change your air filter (or even before if you want to get better filtering now).

I would also like to reaffirm that this filter IS the same one bulldog mentioned:
Bosch Part # F00E160176

And can be bought online here:
http://www.autobarn.net/particulatefilter.html

Last edited by r0cky; 12-12-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Unread 02-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
RL Lemke
Rookie

I have purchased the charcoal version of the Bosch filter for a couple of my other vehicles. Excellent quality. I hope that by the time I use the remaining Toyota cabin air filters I have in the garage, Bosch will offer this upgraded filter for the 4Runner.
RL Lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
I have purchased the charcoal version of the Bosch filter for a couple of my other vehicles. Excellent quality. I hope that by the time I use the remaining Toyota cabin air filters I have in the garage, Bosch will offer this upgraded filter for the 4Runner.
When I communicated with Micron Air last they have listed a carbon filter as well. Yet it was not availible at the time. Bosch simply repackages the Micron Air filters in the US. The quality is very good however. I must say just the plain paper filter was a huge upgrade from the OEM filter.

You might try contacting Micron AIr and see if they made the carbon version availible yet. TO be honest I'm pretty happy with just the paper. My needs is pretty much just to remove dust, not too much pollution or unpleasent gasses where I'm at.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
SHS_yota
Rookie

Hey guys,

Just completed this maintenance. I have had the above mentioned Bosch filter in for about three days now....I have noticed a much improved difference. Before, let's say some jerk pulled in front of me, my reaction is get pissed off. On top of that, it is some jerk with a smokey busted up ride. I reach down and push the recirculate button, but with the old filter I could still smell the burning oil. Now, with the new filter I can not smell that stuff anymore. The air coming out of the vents smells much cleaner.

I give that Bosch part a big thumbs up!

Joe
SHS_yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 12:25 AM   #11
bulldog
Admin

I replaced the filter after 8 months or so and a couple of good dusty and sandy outtings. I must say it still filtered really well with absolutely minimal dust coming through espcially compared to the stock filter. Iam impressed how well it sealed on the sides and no pismo sand coming through after 2 trips, I had some issues with the 3M cutout on this (sealing it with tape semed to solve it).

Anyhow old filter pic and new one installed, what a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldbosch.jpg (81.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg newbosch.jpg (58.2 KB, 62 views)

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Bosh P3785 for $15.89 plus $7.30 shipping. Typical price has been about $19 with $5 to $7 shipping

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwaki
Bosh P3785 for $15.89 plus $7.30 shipping. Typical price has been about $19 with $5 to $7 shipping

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php
discount code to knock off another $0.79

E0FE30495B72
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Unread 02-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

I found one at my nearby Auto Zone. I'm going to go get here in a little while. Same Bosh part # P3785 that Jim posted up.
I took out the Toyota filter, as I hadn't replaced it in a while. It was Nasty!! I'll report back how this works VS the stock Toyota one. Going to TDS next weekend, should be good and dusty!! Good place to try it out!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Just as a heads up, I tend to not replce my cabin filter that much anymore. I just blow it out with a high pressure air hose until its nice an white again BUT...what I did do this time is use the high pressure hose to blow out the blower and outlet tubes. It was like a dust storm in my truck until the dust settled. There was a lot of dust accumulated in the blower and ducting from a few years of dusty off road trails.

You might want to consider doing this to get your system clean.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Just as a heads up, I tend to not replace my cabin filter that much anymore. I just blow it out with a high pressure air hose until its nice an white again BUT...what I did do this time is use the high pressure hose to blow out the blower and outlet tubes. It was like a dust storm in my truck until the dust settled. There was a lot of dust accumulated in the blower and ducting from a few years of dusty off road trails.

You might want to consider doing this to get your system clean.

Oh believe me, We had that compressor working double time!!! There was sooooooooooooooo much dust and dirt and crap that came out, I think we polluted all of Las Vegas!!

Then had to blow out the entire truck. I'm going to try and be a little more cognitive of changing it out more often.
This Bosch filter I put in today is so much nicer, and looks like it will actually "Filter" more of the crap better, and is also much thicker than the stock filter.

Brett's ordered some kit that they get that he'll inject into the ducting, and will spread throughout the system and clean out and disinfect the system.

Oh, by the way, $21.99 @ Auto Zone.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #17
Net4n6
Driver

Thanks Bulldog for post up the Bosch cabin air filter. It's time for me to replace mine. It is very dusty. I don't like the OEM one. I searched here for alternative filter and this tread came up.
I'll head to Autozone after work to order one.
Net4n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Default really CHEAP cabin air filters

If you buy 8 filters your average cost will be less than $6

http://www.logical-source.com/Produc...NNER&Year=2003

Source of these is probably Chinese prison labor
Unread 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwaki View Post
If you buy 8 filters your average cost will be less than $6

http://www.logical-source.com/Produc...NNER&Year=2003

Source of these is probably Chinese prison labor

Those aren't the Bosch filters, but the price @ $3.90 is good.
I prefer the Bosch cabin filters though, far better than the OEM filters.

They don't allow as much dust and crap through the vents as does the OEM filters.
Unread 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #20
RL Lemke
Rookie

What about these filters with activated carbon?

http://filtermaster.com/ca242av2ce2.html
RL Lemke is offline   Reply With Quote