Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Off Topic Area > Forum Suggestions & Announcements

Unread 02-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Default Signature length

Can we get more than 300 chars for the sig? Maybe 500-1000? I like to list everything there for clarity in threads.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Can we get more than 300 chars for the sig? Maybe 500-1000? I like to list everything there for clarity in threads.
I'll second the request. I need more room to share a list of toys. A while back I got so fed up I blew my sig file out after frutilessly trying to abbreviate words and pack in everything at 300 characters.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Joel
Admin

I tend to think excessively long sigs muck up the threads. Can I suggest a quick list with a link to a thread with the rest? Yours isn't too bad but you're using a small font with a lighter color. Allowing 1k characters doesn't force that.

Thats my opinion anyway. Andries?

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

If the # of characters was increased is there a way to limit the actual number of lines? I agree that gigantic signatures are obnoxious, and I do like your link-to-another-thread list that you've done, but sometimes it's easier to just have everything listed out right there at the bottom of the post.

If the physical size of the sig. can only be limited by the number of characters, then maybe a policy on overall signature size could be introduced?

There's also something else going on, as I can't change my sig now without it saying it's too long. I'm not trying to add anything, I'm actually deleting stuff, and it still says I exceed 300 characters. Excluding the ubb code Word tells me there's 274 characters in my sig. Does the count include spaces, too? If so, I'm curious how I was able to get my sig as it stands in the first place, heh heh.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com

Last edited by Mikestang; 02-08-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

The SW doesn't allow you to limit the lines or fonts, so having too much characters can get messy in threads. This will force folks to turn of viewing sigs, which in turn completely defeats the purpose of the sigs.

AFAIK the character limit in the sigs include all characters (yes a space is a character) and also aall codes for bold, font size, etc.

I think 1K characters is way too much for a sig line, how about 300 or so? Maybe limit the info that is more relevant in the sig i.e. model and specs of the truck, major mods that will affect characteristics of the truck (wheels, tires, suspension, driveline, bumpers, etc) and maybe skip on things like lights, CBs, radios, etc.

The gallery section can be used to pimp out your truck by showing off all your mods and you can even add pics, videos, etc, while the whole thread is focussed on just your truck. As Joel suggested you can then just have a link in your sig to the gallery section, but cover the major mods in your sig as well.

What do you guys think?

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Joel
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Maybe limit the info that is more relevant in the sig i.e. model and specs of the truck, major mods that will affect characteristics of the truck (wheels, tires, suspension, driveline, bumpers, etc) and maybe skip on things like lights, CBs, radios, etc.

Currently it's 300 characters (spaces included) and 600 characters (bbcode included).

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
The SW doesn't allow you to limit the lines or fonts, so having too much characters can get messy in threads. This will force folks to turn of viewing sigs, which in turn completely defeats the purpose of the sigs.

AFAIK the character limit in the sigs include all characters (yes a space is a character) and also aall codes for bold, font size, etc.

I think 1K characters is way too much for a sig line, how about 300 or so? Maybe limit the info that is more relevant in the sig i.e. model and specs of the truck, major mods that will affect characteristics of the truck (wheels, tires, suspension, driveline, bumpers, etc) and maybe skip on things like lights, CBs, radios, etc.

The gallery section can be used to pimp out your truck by showing off all your mods and you can even add pics, videos, etc, while the whole thread is focussed on just your truck. As Joel suggested you can then just have a link in your sig to the gallery section, but cover the major mods in your sig as well.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like an excellent compromise, especially as the Gallery section would have photos that might answer potential questions about mods.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

10-4
I'll follow suit and add a mod list to my gallery post.
www.mikestang.com
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
bulldog
Admin

I reviewed the options of the forum software again. Kinda glad we upgraded to the latest version as it now allows to limits number of total characters, number of characters excluding BBcode and number of lines in the sig line. Also how many characters before the line wil wrap again.

So I setthe limits to the following:
- Total characters includig BBcode is 700
- Total charecters excluding BBcode is 400
- Max number of lines are 6
- Max font size is 4
- Max # of characters in a line is 125 now
- Still no images in sig line allowed

See how this works out for you guys. We haven't really had a problem so far with people putting in huge sigs, but we might have to change some parameters inthe future if it becmoes a prob (DOubt it though). SO enjoy creating cool sigs, without taking up all the screen real estate

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

My 2 cents is having your mods included in the sig. is very helpful. I often look at what people have so I can understand what or why they are saying something - often their experience may be due to the mods they have. Some people change their setups as often as their pants and its hard (for me) to keep up with who's got what.

What I dislike is large fonts (including normal posts) and crap like what spark plugs or floor mats someone has. Each to their own I guess. Poeple should feel free to use up their allocation however they want.

I also dislike links. Having to jump around can be distracting and time consuming. I often think just posting the details is easier than having to run off to another site.

Oh to have such woes...LOL
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
See how this works out for you guys.
Good deal, thanks for looking into it!
www.mikestang.com
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

I'm okay with whatever you choose to do Andries.

Although it would be nice to have room to list my real major mods, ie:

Limo Tint!
All weather floor mats!
I also have some CD's!
A Sirius radio!
Here's a very important one, front windshield heat shield!!
Fire extinguisher!
And my biggest mod: Air fresheners!!!

Come to think of it, I' really like to have room for all of these!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote