Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > FJ Cruiser

Unread 06-07-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
adamjohnson
Rookie

Default Another Brake Issue thread or is it brakes ?

Ok I read several posts with similar but but not the same as what just happened to me. I was driving to work going down a main street doing about 45 mph. As I'm coming to a light I start to brake when all of a sudden the brakes would not really engage & my FJ started to surge extremely hard. Very similar to when your in a car & someone is learning how to drive a stick if you know how that feels like. It was so bad it gave me whip lash type feel & the brakes no matter how hard I pressed wouldn't go all the way down. It did that surge 3 to 4 times then was ok. If there was a car in front of me or I was in freeway traffic I would have nailed someone big time at a high rate of speed. Very scary!!!

Anyone have a thought ? I'm almost to my 15k service so I will have it checked out for sure.
read more: xe fortuner 2017, xe tai 1.9 tan

Last edited by adamjohnson; 06-09-2017 at 03:51 AM.
adamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #2
bahndrvr
High Tech Red Neck:)

15k service as in you only have 15k total on the truck? Typically with brake issues you will get the "3 idiot lights" that pop up after an issue. So if I have an ABS or brake issue I will almost immediately flip over from ABS to power brakes, at that time there is a slight audible beep and I get the three lights: ABS, VSC, and honestly don't remember the last one. The ABS is smart and will shut off after an initial bite and switch over to power. In the past if I have had this issue more than 1/2 times I have turned my nannies off till I can fix the brake system, I currently have mine switched off via my "fun button" so have all my electronic nannies off and only have Power brakes. This is temporary for me as I hated ABS till I needed them, now prefer them over locking up my 35's...

If you have the codes you can pull them and get a specific issue, ABS sensors can go out, sensor rings can get bent/warped etc. Brake lines in certain areas can get corroded, master cylinders can go out, there really are at ton of things that can go wrong over time with brakes as it's a "pressurized system" - I put that in quotes as it's hydraulics and you generate the pressure to move the fluids so it's not "pressurized but it's sealed - but it's a sealed system.
315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) - Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Wife's
bahndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote