Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > Tacoma & Hilux

Unread 07-29-2017, 04:46 AM   #1
blackcats
Rookie

Default Rear Ended. After Market Bumper Suggestions?

Hello all. This is my first post to this site, although I have been reading it for a while. That said, I am looking for your recommendations and thoughts on a couple of items.

To begin with, I got rear ended by someone while driving to work last week. Needless to say I am pretty upset about this, especially since I keep my truck in immaculate condition and had just reached 15,000 miles the day before (so the truck is basically still new). Fortunately, the truck is still drivable while I am waiting for it to be repaired.
more: gia xe tai dongben

As you can see in the pictures, the plastic bumper did not hold up too well and mostly shattered upon impact. As it broke apart, my left rear quarter panel crumpled as it was pushed forward. It now looks like the quarter panel will need to be replaced along with the rear bumper. The bumper has BSM sensors that were also damaged during the collision.

My first question is how easy do you think it will be for this to be repaired? There are a lot of little plastic parts that are broken or missing and some of the metal is bent. As far as I can tell, the frame appears to be OK, but I'll leave it to the body shop to make a determination on that.

Besides what is shown in the pictures, what other things should I look for that may have been damaged?
more: xe tai 2 tan

My second question is I am considering replacing the factory bumper was something more durable since I was less than impressed with the way it held up. Granted, it was not built to withstand a rear end collision; however, I believe that a steel bumper would have prevented the damage to the quarter panel. Consequently, what brand of steel bumper do you prefer? What do you think of the Fab Fours bumper? What other bumper recommendations do you have for a reasonable price? One caveat is that the rear bumper needs to accept the BSM sensors.

If I replace the rear bumper, I will probably eventually replace the front bumper with something that matches. I don't want to spend a fortune on this, but want something that is functional, looks good, won't rust, and will not require (much - if any) metal to be cut away during installation.

I look forward to your input and future participation on this site. Thanks.

Tags: xe dongben x30

Last edited by blackcats; 08-07-2017 at 03:55 AM.
blackcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Bummer. Sorry!

Looks pretty cosmetic damage from the picture - nothing structural. The plastic did its job and absorbed the impact. A good body shop should have no problems getting it right although the rear quarter is going to take some time!

If you had a steel bumper, that impact gets transferred directly to the frame...just saying. So you need to consider what you are willing to compromise on.

Many bumper options, I'm not an expert on tacos tho. Again, it will depend upon what you are trying to achieve. Builds go from mild to wild, and bumpers certainly go from minimalist tube bumpers, to full plate bumpers, and then considerations of material - steel vs aluminum.

You might want to clarify what you deem a "reasonable price".
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote