Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad Tech

Unread 03-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #61
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Speaking of snow, I had a rather bad experience in icy snow a couple years ago with my A-trac system engaged where the vehicle barley climbed a small rocky/icy/snowy hill. Though the “VSC Off” Light was on the truck sure was acting like the VSC was on. It seems like I had the same experience as JP4Crawler had as he was trying to climb the falls and his A-trac shut off. However, this happened right after my vehicle was parked on the side of the trail for over an hour. Even while using low rpm’s in 4 Lo, the engine torque shut off due to tire slippage like VSC was on but once again the light indicating it was off was illuminated. Since then I’ve kept my distance from snowy/icy roads. Have any of you had a similar experience???

The worse part about it is even to this very day, my buddy who’s a hardcore Jeeper still gives me a hard time about how my expensive SUV can’t climb a little snowy hill.
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #62
bulldog
Admin

On snowy trails most of us just hammered down and it seems to work the best. See the Piute Mountain trip video.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
On snowy trails most of us just hammered down and it seems to work the best. See the Piute Mountain trip video.
i have had no problem wheelin in west va and va snow!

to add to andries: WHEN IN DOUBT...THROTTLE IT OUT!!!
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #64
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

My034runner did Great in the deep deep snow a couple of weeks ago.

No issues, but yeah, to break trail in the fresh powder, I did you to go through a little extra gas.......and I may have cheated and had the locker on too...

The only thing that cut My engine torque output......was the 3-4' of deep snow!!!! Uphill too!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...

Last edited by my034runner; 03-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.
my034runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #65
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

I always wonder why did my dash board light up like a tree. VSC off, Trac off, ABS off, ATrac off and DAC/ HAC Flashing after climbing a mud and rocky hill. they all came on at the top. Turn the truck off and watch my friend's Jeep try to make it up for twenty minutes. Of course, it didn't . So I got back in and every was fine. Use DAC to guide me back down. Works like a carm.
Unread 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #66
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check out the video!!!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #67
Paul S
Rookie

Anyone know what the exact difference is between the II on the 100's and II+ 4Runners? Is it just software?
Paul S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #68
freeflight
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserhead View Post
From Bulldog:

I have done quite a few offroad trips with my 4Runner, which has exactly the same ATRAC systems as the GX. The trick is to lock the center diff and apply just enough gas for the system to kick in properly. Rule of thumb is to keep at 2000 or so RPM. What tends to happen is that people back of or give more throttle when encountering an obstacle which makes it difficult for the ATRAC system to respond correctly. Just keep the throttle constant at 2k RPM with center diff locked, you will get used to the brake system clattering. It works really well.

Video going up a pretty steep hill with loose gravel, and one rear and one front wheel off the ground.

EDIT:
I have another one of going through a mud pit and again the same situation. WIll try to post it later. But here is a picture. Ok here is the video. Notice that when I let of the throttle the one rear wheel stops, then when I apply throttle again it start going.

As addition [by Bulldog]. On rocks you will probably want to use lower engine and vehicle speed. When you get to the obstacle you will then want to accelarate gently, this seems to make the TRAC work pretty well when it senses slight accelaration. DOnt pound on the gas peddle just add a bit gently.
Great info, will try it out.
freeflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #69
overland
Rookie

Thanks for this. First time A-TRAC kicked in, I got worried that something is giving up.
Here is a video of ATRAC in action. Pardon the poor camera angles, shooting and spotting at same time is tricky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumkIiWh4DU
overland is offline   Reply With Quote