Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
Chewyspark
Rookie

Default overwhelmed trying to equip 4th gen t4r

hey people of toyota120

ive finally narrowed my first t4r purchase to 2 options in order of preference:

07 t4r SR5 V8 87k 5 speed $15k 1 owner dealer maintained

04 t4r SR5 V6 171k 4speed $11k 1 owner dealer maintained

ill find out which one ill be getiing tomorrow, fingers crossed for the v8

ive tried but theres so much info everywhere ive just gotten overwhelmed with everything and im hoping you nice people can point me in the rigth direction.

so im thinking my first upgrades would be suspension, tires, armor, recovery then all the bells and whistles.

what would you guys suggest for a rig that can take me anywhere in CA, OR, WA
not really interested in hitting crazy rock trails, mostly for camping/fishing trips in amazing wilderness

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Chewyspark; 08-11-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Chewyspark is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
Robinhood4x4
Driver

You know, I am selling a 04, V8 4wd limited, 147k miles, 1 owner, dealer maintained for less than either of the ones you're trying to buy. I'm only asking $10k.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30276

Your priorities fit well for what you want to do, although I think I'd put tires lower on the list. IMO, tires are way over rated. When I first started out, I did plenty of moderate trails and sand dunes on the stock tires.
Unread 08-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
Chewyspark
Rookie

if its at a dealer, clean title and i can finance, i will take it sir.

ive heard that before

now im thinking armor, recovery, suspension, tires
Unread 08-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
daPitbull
Senior Driver

figure out how much you want to spend on mods. That'll help narrow down some of your choices.
daPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Chewyspark
Rookie

One million dollars *dr. Evel pose*
��

Well I plan on owning this vehicle forever lol

But I have about 2k to spend initially. Let's say the vehicle needs nothing mechanical up front. What would you recommend to spend 2k on
Unread 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

Since you don't plan on running crazy rock trails I would start with a good set of tires. The 4Runner is a capable truck in stock for. Then based on your travels you can start figuring out what you need to change.

A good set of sliders might be a good start too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 08-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
bulldog
Admin

Definitely shoot for the 5spd box and the V8, the V6 with 5spd is OK too (the 4spd can be a bit of pain when loaded in the mountains).

For your needs a suspension upgrade and better tires is probably a good choice. I went on many trails with a spacers lift, 32" AT tires and sliders. If you don't too many rough trails the sliders can likely wait. But my suspension was new at the time, with a older suspension you may consider upgrading the shocks and coils. Then as Pitbull said you need to be clear on your budget.
You can buy a really good setup with rebuildable shocks, etc for $$$
Or get replacement aftermarket shocks and then get coils for a lift. Various options available.
Try not to exceed 3" in the front or you will likely need new UCAs (which adds a lot of cost).

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
daPitbull
Senior Driver

Drive it around for a while, these are 10year old vehicles. May need to spend some of that $2k making sure everything is mechanically sound. Thinking timing belt, brakes, fluids.

Suspension would be a good start after that. Just so happen to have:
Radflo 2.5 Coilovers
Icon Billet UCAs
All Pro 3.5 Springs

Let me know if you're interested
daPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Chewyspark
Rookie

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate your input and once I started looking at prices of things, I definitely do need a budget lol.

And btw I got the V8
Ridiculously low miles. Anything I've seen in that realm of mileage was involved in accidents. This one is clean. Only thing was the last and only owner wanted a benz and didn't feel like dealing with the time belt service coming up. Go figure.
Unread 08-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Congrats on the purchase! I loved my 4th gen V8 but recently sold it and got a 5th Gen.

I'm from OR so know the terrain pretty well. I started out with protection and then lift. If you can do both of those at the same time you'll be golden.

I also ran my lifted 4th gen for awhile on the stock tires until they were bald. No issues at all until the week before I swapped them out for being so bald.

Lift: I loved my radflo 2.5s. They preformed ridiculously well on the terrain in the CA/OR area. I would have gone with an extended reservoir if I did it again but I had zero issues with mine other than some bad heim joints after 6 years of running them.

Protection: Sliders are key. The last thing you want to do is damage your rocker panel. Thats a costly dent. Budbuilt sliders with the kickout are pretty sweet. I didn't have them but have seen them in action. Also for undercarriage protection I would look at Budbuilt and RCI. I loved my Budbuilts.

Again, congrats and welcome!
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
billynath1988
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10MileHusker View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I loved my 4th gen V8 but recently sold it and got a 5th Gen.

I'm from OR so know the terrain pretty well. I started out with protection and then lift. If you can do both of those at the same time you'll be golden.

I also ran my lifted 4th gen for awhile on the stock tires until they were bald. No issues at all until the week before I swapped them out for being so bald.

Lift: I loved my radflo 2.5s. They preformed ridiculously well on the terrain in the CA/OR area. I would have gone with an extended reservoir if I did it again but I had zero issues with mine other than some bad heim joints after 6 years of running them.

Protection: Sliders are key. The last thing you want to do is damage your rocker panel. Thats a costly dent. Budbuilt sliders with the kickout are pretty sweet. I didn't have them but have seen them in action. Also for undercarriage protection I would look at Budbuilt and RCI. I loved my Budbuilts.

Again, congrats and welcome!
I can second everything he said ^^..

Radflo 2.5's have done everything I wanted flawlessly.. change out the lower shock mount bushing every few years and your good.
protection = piece of mind.. bud builts have taken huge hits and still come on and off the truck without issue. I just retapped the holes for the bolts to a larger diameter stainless bolt.. less change of stripping and the old threads were getting weak. I have BAMF sliders welded on, they have been excellent so far and was the first thing I did.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...-v8-build.html
billynath1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 01:06 AM   #12
Chewyspark
Rookie

thanks for all the feedback! making it that much easier to make decisions.
after everything checks out, mechanically, ill definitely be picking up some bud builts and then the savings continue lol

does any one know of an article or anything that breaks down articulation, suspension, tire sizes etc?
im thinking about a 2.5 lift, with 33s. not sure sure if my truck can handle it without having to do things to the engine. i really have no clue about this stuff. went off roading one time with my old boss and ive been hooked haha
Unread 08-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #13
billynath1988
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyspark View Post
thanks for all the feedback! making it that much easier to make decisions.
after everything checks out, mechanically, ill definitely be picking up some bud builts and then the savings continue lol

does any one know of an article or anything that breaks down articulation, suspension, tire sizes etc?
im thinking about a 2.5 lift, with 33s. not sure sure if my truck can handle it without having to do things to the engine. i really have no clue about this stuff. went off roading one time with my old boss and ive been hooked haha
check the condition of all the front end components bushings, tie rods, ball joints ect. when we say Radflo 2.5. the "2.5" is the shock diameter not the height of the lift. the coil overs are adjustable to 3 inches or so. you wont need that much to clear 33's. You may need to do trimming. you should look into aftermarket upper control arms to bring the front end geometry back into spec and help control the heavier tire/wheel setup you will eventually have. start reading stickies, read build threads, read read and read some more. this is not a hobby that can be learned over night. everything you want to do or think about doing has probably been done through trial and error 20 other times by 100 other people so use their experience to your benefit.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...-v8-build.html
billynath1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
bulldog
Admin

Honestly if you are only planning on doing fire roads and mild offroad trails, you will be better of with 32 AT tires. They don't impact the power and gas mileage nearly as much as 33 MTs as an example. No need to mod the engine, even with 33s. No real need for a regear either per se.

Whole a 2.5" rebuildable shock suspension with COs are definitely a great way to go, see if you can afford it on your budget. Sometimes it is worth the trouble to save a bit more and do it right the first time. I went through many stages as there wasn't much available for the 4th Gens when I started, but it would have been cheaper to do it right the first time.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2017, 12:48 AM   #15
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Here is the BEST advice I personally can provide.

Coming from my 4th gen build where I put 4 different lifts on it:

Buy Once, Cry Once.

Don't do what I did. Don't jump on the lift you think you want just because thats the one you can afford. Save up. Buy the lift you really need.

That being said, don't buy once, cry forever because you bought too much. If you really are just doing small fire roads, just get the lift suited for that.

I ran Moab on a 3" Toytech Spacer lift and basic 3" shocks and springs. I did Fins N' Things, Poison Spider, and other trails on that spacer lift. It did perfectly fine!

I then upgraded to a 2.5 radflo coilover with toytec rear springs and shocks and ran all of oregon on it. Loved it. Noticed some sag and then upgraded the shocks to extended travel.

AKA I spent WAY too much on my lift. I should have just waited and bought what I wanted.

If I bought the lift I should have got the first time would I still have sag? Yes! But It wouldn't have been as dramatic and as soon as it was with the old shocks.

Don't overthink it. Be calm, call a company like MetalTech4X4 and talk it over. They will point you in the right direction.
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #16
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

I have some Radflo rear springs for sale if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.
t-rex grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
Chewyspark
Rookie

Yeah clearly I did not think this all the way through lol I thought I was just going to read a few articles and get everything I would need. But I definitely need more research to do then some planning, all while saving up. I've decided to spend the money on an all around tune up. I found out that the previous(and only owner) only used this thing to tow his boat to Tahoe. And never bothered with changing any fluid besides the oil *face palm*

But I do appreciate all the info al of you have provided! Definitely pushed me in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 08-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #18
Robinhood4x4
Driver

Don't worry, it only has 87k miles on it. It's fine.
Unread 08-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #19
Chewyspark
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
Don't worry, it only has 87k miles on it. It's fine.
Not really worried just being safe, don't know last owners driving/maintenance habits besides basic info and I don't do basic lol, in my mind, it's more of a way to give myself a base level Like replace at least jsut the fluids, timing belt(just for peace of mind when I'm putting all those miles on in the middle of No where ), radiator it's coming off anyways, dealer already did a bunch of other things, ie spark plugs, safety stuff, brakes but no fluid bleed , and a few other things like that
And that should be it besides a few simple mods while I'm doing more research and saving. And thanks to everyone! Really helped me out! Now I much better understanding of how I should even approach this rabbit hole lol. Reflecting back I was about to pull some real noob moves, you showed me the path to become a yota master lol this ish really gets addicting tho