Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Default Lexus GX Expedition Build ?

I need a little help planning out a great build. How would you guys build a GX?

Last edited by Lexwoody; 05-11-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Lexwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Teampez

check out http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php for some ideas. Id get a fridge, sleeping platform, communications CB, GPS, HAM radio, laptop mount, bumpers (front and rear) winch, jerry can mounts, and if ya want to go crazy, 2 full spares, lol The list can go on and on
Or you could do the trailer conversion, get an old military trailer, and built that up to your needs, tent, stove etc
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

This can be an interesting thread. Want it in the GX section?

If you say expedition what do you have in mind? Difficulty of terrain, remoteness, days you need to be self sufficient, distance between service areas for fuel, water, food, how many people in the truck, etc, etc.

A couple of ideas would be: extended gas tank or fuel capability, water storage, dual spares, roof top tent, suspension to carry lots of additional weight, potentially a trailer can be a very good idea pending factors mentioned above.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
You can move it.

If you say expedition what do you have in mind? Difficulty of terrain, remoteness, days you need to be self sufficient, distance between service areas for fuel, water, food, how many people in the truck, etc, etc.

A couple of ideas would be: extended gas tank or fuel capability, water storage, dual spares, roof top tent, suspension to carry lots of additional weight, potentially a trailer can be a very good idea pending factors mentioned above.
Expedition or trail ready. I must be more on the line on a trail ready build. But expedition prepareness. Suspension, bumpers and winch, lockers (cable if possible), 2nd fuel tank, custom drawers, etc.

List for now:
~Suspension - OME Front 886 coils/ N140
Rear 896coils/N142
~UCA
or complete long/ med travel kit
~Front Bumper - ARB (Prado 120)
~winch - Smittybilt 10k lbs
~Custom rear bumper with winch
~BudBuilt full skids
~Custom/ Pre mod fuel tank

The question is How would you build a GX for the trail? Products and the names please.

Last edited by Lexwoody; 05-12-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampez View Post
check out http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php for some ideas. Id get a fridge, sleeping platform, communications CB, GPS, HAM radio, laptop mount, bumpers (front and rear) winch, jerry can mounts, and if ya want to go crazy, 2 full spares, lol The list can go on and on
Or you could do the trailer conversion, get an old military trailer, and built that up to your needs, tent, stove etc
Thanks. I know this site. I dont like trailers. Maybe in the furture grow into them.
Unread 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
slooowr6
Rookie

Before adding bumper, winch and etc. Take a look at your GVWR. When you are building an expediton truck weight adds up fast. Work out a list of camping equipments that you have to have and see how much capacity you have left for truck mods. Most people's exp truck I seen are above GVWR it's up to idividual to decide how much above GVWR is accetable.

A truck that is built to be self sufficient for 2 days is different from one that can be self sufficient for a week. It also depends on how much creature comfort you want? Tent on the ground, Roof top tent, screen room, foul weather protection the list goes on and that's part of the fun of building a exp truck.
Unread 05-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Have you seen Project TrailLex? If not, take a look: http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...ion/index.html
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Photog
Old Timer

Check out the TraiLex. I don't like their choice of suspension changes; but they did it before the aftermarket had parts available.

It looks more like a Prado. The body was built to be sold without all the body cladding; and they look great that way too.

From Four Wheeler Magazine:

2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 05-12-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
bulldog
Admin

My take.

- Front bumper (modded ARB or similar) with winch
- Rear bumper with tire and fuel/water can carriers as well as hi lift
- Roof rack (add on for longer trips)
- Sliders and skids (if possible modified bud builds with a tummy tuck - where the transfer case crossmemebr gets removed and replaced with high clearance unit)
- Cargo darers and fridge slide _ african outbak for PRado should fit or just adnture trailer option
- Proper front coilovers made to carry your weight
- Custom coils and 2.5" shocks in the back (again for your weight
- Don't skimp on the suspension for a build like this as you will notice the difference OME is good but far from the best option out there for a full build.

Will continue later with more info

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Quote:
My take.

- Sliders and skids (if possible modified bud builds with a tummy tuck - where the transfer case crossmemebr gets removed and replaced with high clearance unit)
\

Don't remember off top for the first question.
1. Is the stock and bud built crossmember bolt on/ off?
2. Which UCA is best without spending a lot or save a little $$$$$?
3. Other than the sway bar. What limits the down travel? Stock UCA?

Last edited by Lexwoody; 05-12-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Unread 05-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
bulldog
Admin

1. Both are bolt on, but to get more clearance the stock frame crossmember has to be cut and replaced with a custom high clearance unit. The Budbuilt crossmember will also require modification. This is not a must have initially, but will help a lot down the line.

2. Lightracing UCA seems to be a good bang for the buck. They fix alignment issues and still use a balljoint, etc.

3. Front or back? On the front the IFS suspension setup pretty much limits max droop. The only way to get significantly more droop is to use long travel setups like Total Chaos, etc This however opens a whole new can of worms (fender, etc.) On the rear the shocks pretty much limit droop. However you will need to ditch the air suspension first before exploring that route.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Have you seen Project TrailLex? If not, take a look: http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...ion/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Check out the TraiLex. I don't like their choice of suspension changes; but they did it before the aftermarket had parts available.

It looks great, more like a Prado. The body was built to be sold without all the body cladding; and they look great that way too.
Woo, beat ya by 2 minutes!
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Woo, beat ya by 2 minutes!
Yes you did ; but I posted the pics.

It would be cool to have a TraiLex in our little group.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Unread 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooowr6 View Post
Before adding bumper, winch and etc. Take a look at your GVWR. When you are building an expediton truck weight adds up fast. Work out a list of camping equipments that you have to have and see how much capacity you have left for truck mods. Most people's exp truck I seen are above GVWR it's up to idividual to decide how much above GVWR is accetable.

A truck that is built to be self sufficient for 2 days is different from one that can be self sufficient for a week. It also depends on how much creature comfort you want? Tent on the ground, Roof top tent, screen room, foul weather protection the list goes on and that's part of the fun of building a exp truck.

GVWR is 6,150. Curb weight 4,740. If my math is right. That leaves 1,410 to play with.
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
slooowr6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexwoody View Post
GVWR is 6,150. Curb weight 4,740. If my math is right. That leaves 1,410 to play with.
You can carry more that a Tacoma truck....
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
bulldog
Admin

You can typically carry more with an upgraded suspension anyway. I need to go way my piggy at some point for a baseline.

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Photog
Old Timer

I don't know what they base their GVWR on. There is some weak link in the system of vehicle parts. That weak link dictates the GVWR.

It isn't the axle.
Maybe the body mounts, or stopping ability.
If it is the springs, then an upgraded set of springs would change the effective GVWR (not the legal GVWR).

Unread 05-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
AlexJet
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
I don't know what they base their GVWR on. There is some weak link in the system of vehicle parts. That weak link dictates the GVWR.

It isn't the axle.
Maybe the body mounts, or stopping ability.
If it is the springs, then an upgraded set of springs would change the effective GVWR (not the legal GVWR).
I think it complex parameter and it reflects many factors combined together. One factor alone probably wouldn't cause any problems, but when you combine many factors they may lead to the issue. This is why they probably estimate values and coefficent when calculating GVWR.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
TexGX

Default Great Minds Think A Like

LexWoody,

It seems we are both thinking of doing the same thing. Here are my thoughts so far.

Mild lift/tires (I beilieve you have done this already)
Sliders (I have found someone in San Antonio to make mine)
Rear Bumper (I hate the tire under the truck, better DA, storage for jack and cans)
Front Bumper (I am thinking of a light wieght with a reciever for portable winch)
Roof Rack (Replace factory or modify to keep height down)
Cargo System/Fridge
Rear Locker (I am thinking ARB so I can have on board air as well)
Dual Battery

TexGX
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX View Post
LexWoody,

It seems we are both thinking of doing the same thing. Here are my thoughts so far.

Mild lift/tires (I beilieve you have done this already)
Sliders (I have found someone in San Antonio to make mine)
Rear Bumper (I hate the tire under the truck, better DA, storage for jack and cans)
Front Bumper (I am thinking of a light wieght with a reciever for portable winch)
Roof Rack (Replace factory or modify to keep height down)
Cargo System/Fridge
Rear Locker (I am thinking ARB so I can have on board air as well)
Dual Battery

TexGX
We are on the same page. Its going to be hard or just $$$$$$$ when its time for a custom rear bumper. Any pics of the GX to date?

Last edited by Lexwoody; 06-01-2009 at 09:27 AM.