Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Default Cowl Snorkle

I am pretty worn out from metal fab, so I decided to tackle a few items where the angle grinder was (mostly) not required, and completed my cowl snorkel. With the fender liners removed, I have been concerned about debris and water entering the intake as positioned in the open well, so I removed the intake tube a few weeks ago, but with warmer weather on the way, I needed a permanent fix to pulling air from outside the engine bay. I got my inspiration from a TW thread, most all of concerns that are going to be brought up have been discussed in this thread, so I will not address them, but leave my own experience with the mod.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-snorkel.html

Parts:
  • 2 x 4" hose clamps
  • RTV
  • 4" hole saw
  • ~7" of 3" PVC
  • Stock intake

#1 - Remove wipers and cowl cover. Drill 4" hole in engine bay to cowl area, then paint. I did this just a bit to the passenger side of the intake for the inside air, and just above the pinch weld so if it were to get water in the area it would not get down into the inside of whoknowswhere, and right below the lip where the cowl snaps in. See #5 for a better pic of hole location.

#2 - ~14" of fuel line and some RTV to hold it in place.

#3 - Cut up stock intake. I removed the scoop near the head, then cut the flexi pieces up as seen below. The section that attaches to the fliter holed was cut so it forms a 90* bend, and the the piece with two ribs is used to join the PVC and the scoop piece, you could attach them together another way I am sure, but this made sense with what I had around.

#4 - Cut off drain from cowl cover. In order to use the scoop, which I felt was a good idea in the event any water were to drip down the intake is still covered, you need to cut off the gutter from the cowl cover. If you were to not use the scoop you could leave the gutter in place.

#5 - Check fit and length. Line it all up.

#6 Close it up. Once happy with the fit use the 2 stock and 2 new 4" hose clamps to hold it all together, reinstall cowl and wipers, enjoy.

Last edited by Wishbone; 04-22-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
java230
Old Timer

Nice write up!
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
#4 - Cut off drain from cowl cover. In order to use the scoop, which I felt was a good idea in the event any water were to drip down the intake is still covered, you need to cut off the gutter from the cowl cover. If you were to not use the scoop you could leave the gutter in place.
Nice write up and thanks for the link to TW. I did not understand the part about cutting off the drain from the cowl. I know the cowls on the Taco and Runner are slightly different so wanted some clarification.

Hydro locking an engine is one of my worst fears so thanks

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

How much extra cabin noise do you have, especially under a bit of load? Seems like the intake noise hits right at the cabin intake spot.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by java230 View Post
Nice write up!
Thanks, the first one I have done to this detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Nice write up and thanks for the link to TW. I did not understand the part about cutting off the drain from the cowl. I know the cowls on the Taco and Runner are slightly different so wanted some clarification.

Hydro locking an engine is one of my worst fears so thanks
No problem, that was something I wasn not expecting, and this seemed to be the easiest solution. You could also just plug the top of that vent/drain if you were to not run the scoop. Hydro lock scares me as well, looking to avoid any issues related to water at all costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
How much extra cabin noise do you have, especially under a bit of load? Seems like the intake noise hits right at the cabin intake spot.
0 to a tiny bit below 2K RPM, and then just a bit once you open it up. Although I have never heard one, I imagine it is similar to the noise a CAI adds, a soft guttural purrr. As mentioned in the TW thread, there is a loss of flow from the blower when you open up the throttle, over 3K, but it is not really noticeable to me and is a non-factor (to me).

Unread 04-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Darklight
Old Timer

I know what I am doing soon, thanks for the write up indeed!

Questions, did you have to use any new clips or screws to reattach the cowl cover and hood weather liner or did it all just pop right back in?
I am not sure about trimming the cowl cover from the pic, it seems maybe you just trimmed the inside plastic of the cover for clearance of the stock scoop? I'll have to get in there and take a look at mine.
Now you have all of that prime real estate under the hood. Do you plan on covering up the old stock fender hole?

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 04-22-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
HHIRunner
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post

Bobby

Now I have to decide between this and Austin's version. The tough choices never end.
HHIRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:

Questions, did you have to use any new clips or screws to reattach the cowl cover and hood weather liner or did it all just pop right back in?
I am not sure about trimming the cowl cover from the pic, it seems maybe you just trimmed the inside plastic of the cover for clearance of the stock scoop? I'll have to get in there and take a look at mine.
Now you have all of that prime real estate under the hood. Do you plan on covering up the old stock fender hole?

Bobby
No problem.

It clips right back in, there are tabs across it to depress and it comes out pretty easy, don't just yank on it or the tabs will probably break.

Best bet it to take it apart and have a look, but there is a gutter underneath the vents, it it a separate piece that is clipped, and then melted for lack of a better term, in place.

I will probably fill it, but that is lower priority, not really hurting anything the way it is. I was going to put a compressor there, but just picked up a CO2 tank, so it will bne vacant space for now.

I should add that I drove through some pretty good rain this weekend without any issues thus far, it was at night so I did not stop and check out everything to see if it stayed dry. I did do a test with the hose in the drive way though. The only thing I am not sure of with this mod is the temps the PVC will see, melting point for PVC is ~280* F, any ideas what engine compartment temps reach in the middle of summer?

Edit: Here is a good study, looks like the temps on these cars above the engine inside the hood maxes at no greater than 100*C, 212*F, I think the PVC will be fine. I may grab a meat thermometer and throw it under the hood and see what it reads.

http://www.mvfri.org/Contracts/Final...atures%201.pdf

Last edited by Wishbone; 04-22-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIRunner View Post
Now I have to decide between this and Austin's version. The tough choices never end.
I went this route for simplicity, lower cost, and what seems like lower noise, as well as no cutting into the cab itself.

Unread 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Darklight
Old Timer

You could always add an exhaust type heat wrap around the pvc to reduce the internal temp of the tubing. That would bump the cost of the mod up. Might be over kill or might be worth it.
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Unread 04-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
You could always add an exhaust type heat wrap around the pvc to reduce the internal temp of the tubing. That would bump the cost of the mod up. Might be over kill or might be worth it.
Agreed, the TW post addresses the heat soak on the aluminum tube, the PVC will have a much better heat resistance.

Unread 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Darklight
Old Timer

Okay, it has been a month any updates or negative feed back to report? Planning on doing mine soon if I can find someone with a hole saw set. Recently cleaned my K&N filter and after hitting Uwharrie up this past weekend removed a couple of small rocks from my inlet tubing,

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Wishbone
Senior Driver

So far so good, I checked it during the last fairly heavy rain I was driving around in and the filter was still nice and dry, still haven't gotten in any deep water but unless it comes over the hood there shouldn't be any problems. The filter was pretty dusty after a fairly recent cleaning, but that is going to be an issue just about anywhere. So, I would say good to go.

Unread 05-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks, now if I can find someone with a 4" hole saw i'd be set.
Darklight's Build
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Wishbone
Senior Driver

So, longer term report, I am getting a lot of sand on the filter. This has only been when I am in sandy places obviously, but I am thinking it is collecting on the windshield and dropping into the cowl area and then the intake. My first take to resolve will be adding some of the K&N type pre-filter, not sure exactly where though. I will add some pics when I get around to it.

In non-sandy environments, I would say the soiling is equal to when it was in the stock location.

Unread 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #16
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks for the info. Might hold off on doing mine for a little while now. What about just bringing it to the front instead of the cowl. I know allot of folks reroute there's near the headlight. Just a thought. The pre k&n filter is a good idea either way imo. Keep it coming

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 07-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
java230
Old Timer

Thanks for the update. I am still thinking on this one. Something like this slipped over the end? Isnt it a bit of a pain to get into the cowl to clean though?

Unread 07-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Yeah, something like that or some of the K&N foam stuff. It would be a pain to get to the end of it without removing the air filter, but once detached, the whole thing slides out pretty easily.

Unread 07-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Might hold off on doing mine for a little while now. What about just bringing it to the front instead of the cowl. I know allot of folks reroute there's near the headlight. Just a thought. The pre k&n filter is a good idea either way imo. Keep it coming

Bobby
Going to the front kind of defeats the purpose of getting the intake up higher and away from water, it would probably be at the same height as stock. I also looked at this and couldn't see a clean way to do it, there is no large section of sheet metal to work with. I think sand and such might be even worse up there as well.

Unread 07-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Ordered one of the Outerwears pre-filters, will post up some pics and the verdict after the install.