Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 01-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Default 2011 Lone Star Toyota Jamboree Report

What a great weekend we had at Barnwell Mountain Recreation area in Gilmer TX. In spite of the cold and wet weather we had a blast exploring trails, meeting new people, and have a crazy Tortilla war late Saturday night LMBO. There were only a few minor incidents… I heard an FJ tipped on it’s side (but can’t confirm because I didn’t see it), Ryan, our spotter got his foot ran over while trying to spot (I’ll post the video later), an early 80’s p/u had a wheel come off while driving up to the Pavilion for dinner (picture posted below), and the rear diff of an FJ broke on the Saturday night run.
Here are the pictures and corresponding report…
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
WillRunner05
Old Timer

When we arrived to the OHV Friday morning there was still a little snow on the ground from the storm on Wednesday.

As soon as we checked in and set up camp we hit the trails!

We had to find spots to pull over because there were other groups out there going in the opposite direction.

Here’s some pics of a couple of the many nicely built FJ40s out there!

The trails had lots of steep muddy hill climbs and descent like this one (I got to show off using DAC hahahaha).

This was the first steep muddy hill climb I did, the group of FJ guys I was with were very impressed because I climbed it with no problems and I’m running 32”A/Ts…

Ryan, our group spotter just finished spotting me up…

Trail shots…

Our group mostly consisted of 5-7 FJ Cruisers, 1 80 series LC and my 4th GEN 4Runner

This picture doesn’t do much justice but a lot of guys were having problems because of the deep rut on the passenger side and a tree stump that isn’t seen in the picture. This obstacle is also where our spotter’s foot was ran over (video coming soon).

Unread 01-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Some of you who went on the Moab trip last year might recognize this FJ. Digger, the owner was a real cool guy, I plan on buying some armor from him real soon!

This guy was driving his early 80’s p/u up to the Pavilion for dinner and his lug bolts snapped causing the tire to come off and hit a parked truck.

Good thing no one was standing around when it happened, especially kids like this little guy…

Fortunately, a group of guys got together and helped him repair it and got the wheel back on before dinner was over.

The Tacoma in the picture was the parked truck that was hit by the tire but there was no damage thanks to his sliders!!!

>
There was a 200 series LC out there also. I talked to the owner and he said it did real well on the trails. He wound up getting a little carnage, small dents and scratches on the passenger side doors and bent up running board. He said it’s no big deal, he’ll get it fixed when he gets home.

Some of the rigs… (FYI: The white 4th GEN 4Runner is a stock 2WD)…

Very nice 3rd GEN

There was a 4th GEN with a Baja Rack OME Suspension and 32’s but I think the owner was just helping with the event, I didn’t see his runner on the trails and it stayed clean the whole time.

After Dinner we had the raffle drawing, they gave out some cool prizes but I didn’t win anything.
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
WillRunner05
Old Timer

At camp…

It started raining Friday night and didn’t stop the rest of the time we were there.

I bought a heater for my tent but only used it for like 10 minutes because it was making my tent smell like I was welding in there! When I got home I returned it and got my money back, thank God I had a brand new 20 degree bag that kept me warm even with overnight lows dropping to the high 30’s!!!

All the cool guys had off road trailers and RTTs…

Some of the event sponsors (Pandora, Metal tech, and Demello) camped at our site

Unread 01-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
WillRunner05
Old Timer

With all the Rain on Friday night and Saturday, the trails were really muddy and the trails became more challenging! A few rigs were have problems navigating through the bend where the Silver FJ is…

Again, a lot of guys were astounded with how well my 4Runner performed! Obstacles that gave well built FJ’s running 33’s or taller MT’s and rear lockers a hard time, I just cruised through with a little clicking from my A-trac. I literally had no problems on any of the obstacles and I don’t have a locker and just 32” A/T’s.

After lunch on Saturday we did the RTI ramp…

I only scored a 509, the average is 600. I wonder how much higher I can get if I remove the front swaybar???

>
After the RTI Ramp we all squeezed together for the group picture (over 170 trucks).

After the picture we did one last trail run with a big obstacle that gave my neighbor Miguel (in the white FJ) a hard time, he had to get some help from the guy in the blue FJ. The rest of us made it up that obstacle with no issues!

Sunday morning we tore down camp in the pouring rain!

Then a few of us stopped and had breakfast at a nearby Diner with Jason Demello who picked up the tab (thanks Jason!), and we headed home!
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
UnionJack
Old Timer

Nice report Will, very nice. Looked like a great trip with a lot of good people and rigs. Glad you have connected with some folks from TX and got to wheel.

Thanks for the pictures, all I got to do this weekend was mod Masa's truck, yes there was mud involved but mostly it was falling on me from his frame

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionjack View Post
Nice report Will, very nice. Looked like a great trip with a lot of good people and rigs. Glad you have connected with some folks from TX and got to wheel.

Thanks for the pictures, all I got to do this weekend was mod Masa's truck, yes there was mud involved but mostly it was falling on me from his frame
Hahahahaha, thanks Jon! What mods did you do to Masa truck?
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunner05 View Post
What mods did you do to Masa truck?
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showp...&postcount=356

Unread 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
07 Elephant
Elephant Trainer

Will, great trip report and pics. I really wish we were able to go. It would have been very cool to meet you and get the truck muddy. But we took the first week of January off for my birthday and went to Rockport for a blast and cast with a guide on his air boat. No more vacation time in January for a wheeling trip. Maybe next time! Glad to hear you truck performed so well and you got to show the FJ crowd how capable a 4th gen is.
Rob's Elephant: 2007 4Runner V8 limited 4x4 w/navi, Shrockworks sliders, ARB bull bar, Gobi stealth roof rack, Budbuilt skids, Icon UCAs, Icon coilovers, Icon rear, custom coils, Airlift 1000, Wabfab end links, Slee lines, Nitto dune grapplers 285/60/18, 1/2" BL, spider trax 1.25, Warn xp9.5, 10 IPF lights, dual battery, aux fuse box, custom alum drawer, Engel 45, Maggiolina Grand Tour Gallery
07 Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
Darklight
Old Timer

Very nice pic's and good report too. Looks like allot of fun and a nice mix of Toyotas I love seeing the classic FJ's out there. It's amazing how fast the conditions can change when it starts raining. Sorry to hear about Ryan's foot, hope he is okay, let's see that video!
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Elephant View Post
Will, great trip report and pics. I really wish we were able to go. It would have been very cool to meet you and get the truck muddy. But we took the first week of January off for my birthday and went to Rockport for a blast and cast with a guide on his air boat. No more vacation time in January for a wheeling trip. Maybe next time! Glad to hear you truck performed so well and you got to show the FJ crowd how capable a 4th gen is.
Thanks Rob! We'll have to meet out there sometime for sure! Yeah I was offered rides a couple times because they didn't think I would make it through some of the trails, but at the end of the day I proved myself worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Very nice pic's and good report too. Looks like allot of fun and a nice mix of Toyotas I love seeing the classic FJ's out there. It's amazing how fast the conditions can change when it starts raining. Sorry to hear about Ryan's foot, hope he is okay, let's see that video!
Thanks! Yeah it was seeing all the generations of 4X4 Yotas out there, and Ryan's foot seemed to be ok, he could move all his toes, he just has a little swelling on his big toe.
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunner05 View Post
Some of you who went on the Moab trip last year might recognize this FJ. Digger, the owner was a real cool guy, I plan on buying some armor from him real soon!
I had encouraged him to post up on 120, maybe he will take more notice of you. No Taco luv

Unread 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionjack View Post
I had encouraged him to post up on 120, maybe he will take more notice of you. No Taco luv
Yeah I'll mention it to him next time I talk to him, I know he's on the FJ Cruiser Forums and I know he would love the Tacoma business too.
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Great report Will!! Thank you for letting us relive it through pictures.

Way to represent the 120 Nation! Glad you proved just how capable and well balanced the 4th Gen is even without massive mods. I wish I was there...
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
Great report Will!! Thank you for letting us relive it through pictures.

Way to represent the 120 Nation! Glad you proved just how capable and well balanced the 4th Gen is even without massive mods. I wish I was there...
Thanks Chris!
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Nice, Will!
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Nice, Will!
Thanks Mark!
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Here's a pic of the 200 series LC on the trail...
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
WillRunner05
Old Timer

...and Demello did the RTI ramp with his rental. Sorry, I don't know what score he got.

Unread 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
JDeMello
Driver

You are welcome

I had a great time too!
JDeMello is offline   Reply With Quote