Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 06-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
HOJeepster
Driver

Default Alignment Issues: Bend Rear Links?

After installing the new 275/70/18 Duratracs, it seems Discount Tire can't get rid of this wobble/shaking I get. I've had them rebalance twice now, and the issue still exists. They believe that because I offroad, some of the weights may have come off. Although this is possible, I don't think it's the cause.

Is it possible that having slightly bent lower rear links may have caused my rear alignment to be out of whack? Or should I stick with the theory that the tires are just out of balance? I'm just wondering if new metal tech rear links are on the horizon.

Thanks.
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
java230
Old Timer

IMO a bent link wont cause a wobble. It will just mess up the alignment.

How much weight did they take to balance?

I had two bad tires on my last set (not Duratracs), they were simply oval. One took 18oz to balance, thats rediculous. Discount had them warrantied for me, and Good Year did replace them.

Id stick with out of balance. Does it feel like its front or rear? I had a LCA bolt come a little loose after a wheeling trip, and it caused a shake under hard braking. Jack the front up and check LCA bolts, TRE's etc.
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
HOJeepster
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by java230 View Post
IMO a bent link wont cause a wobble. It will just mess up the alignment.

How much weight did they take to balance?

I had two bad tires on my last set (not Duratracs), they were simply oval. One took 18oz to balance, thats rediculous. Discount had them warrantied for me, and Good Year did replace them.

Id stick with out of balance. Does it feel like its front or rear? I had a LCA bolt come a little loose after a wheeling trip, and it caused a shake under hard braking. Jack the front up and check LCA bolts, TRE's etc.
Yes, it looks like they added a lot more weight to the wheels compared to my last set of duratracs. My research shows a good tech won't need a lot of weight to balance the tires. On some wheels, they've double stacked the weights.

I'm going back today to get them rebalanced, and telling them to remove all the weights and start from scratch.
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJeepster View Post
I've had them rebalance twice now, and the issue still exists. They believe that because I offroad, some of the weights may have come off.
It can happen, but it should be a moot issue after they rebalance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJeepster View Post
and telling them to remove all the weights and start from scratch.
That's how you're supposed to (re)balance a wheel, if they're doing it another way they're doing it wrong.

Bent rear links can cause the vehicle to not track straight, but it wouldn't cause a wobble/shaking. Do you only experience it above a certain speed?
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com

Last edited by Mikestang; 06-27-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
HOJeepster
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
It can happen, but it should be a moot issue after they rebalance.

That's how you're supposed to (re)balance a wheel, if they're doing it another way they're doing it wrong.

Bent rear links can cause the vehicle to not track straight, but it wouldn't cause a wobble/shaking. Do you only experience it above a certain speed?
Usually 55-60 mph, sometimes slow speeds too though at 15-20mph.

Definitely think the wheels are not balanced.
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

That's what it sounds like.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
java230
Old Timer

Yeah definitely start over. Sometimes breaking the bead and reseating 90 or 180 degrees off is needed. Wheels arent perfect either.
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
HOJeepster
Driver

Just went to Discount Tire, they rebalanced the tires, they stated the right rear was off 0.5oz...however, driving back home right around 55mph I still feel the bumpy ride.

Now I'm wondering if these larger duratracs are just stiffer, and cause me to feel the road more. Not sure. It's very annoying, like driving on a constant lumpy road sensation.
Unread 06-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
bulldog
Admin

What tire pressure are you running? Maybe drop the pressure quite bit and see what happens on a short ride.

A number of guys just had bad tires, which needed to be replaced that caused similar issues. It would balance on the machine but give a bad vibration while driving. Perhaps look to see if the tire is round and also square when on the balancing machine. (I have seen some really bad tires when spinning on the machine, lateral run out and out of round - easy to spot when spinnig slowly on a machine).

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
HOJeepster
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
What tire pressure are you running? Maybe drop the pressure quite bit and see what happens on a short ride.

A number of guys just had bad tires, which needed to be replaced that caused similar issues. It would balance on the machine but give a bad vibration while driving. Perhaps look to see if the tire is round and also square when on the balancing machine. (I have seen some really bad tires when spinning on the machine, lateral run out and out of round - easy to spot when spinnig slowly on a machine).
Ha, I actually watched them spin the right rear tire on the machine, and I personally thought I saw a tire that didn't look to spin 'true'.

I'm running at 35psi now, down from 42psi before. I'll try lowering these down again and see what happens. Thanks
Unread 06-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
bulldog
Admin

if you recall which tire didn't look correct, perhaps swap the spare in and see how it feels

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
loose_electron
Driver

When mounting tires to the rim an initial starting point should be to align the DOT stamp on the tire to the valve stem on the rim. This normally alleviates adding much weight if you have an almost true tire.
Are your tires mounted this way?
'04 Sport V8 4x4, 265/70/17 BFG MT KM2 E, HD Series TR beadlocks 17x8.5 +4" bs, NO Swaybars, TC+2 Long Travel, Spindel Gussets, Upper Coil Tower Gussets, LCA Cam Tabs, ICON frt CO 650lb springs w/resi, ICON Bypass w/Resi. Metal Tech(MT) LT Progressive Spring, MT specs-ICON developed LT shock-2.5 rear w/resi. Rear ARB, sPod, Shrockworks Skids http://www.toyota120.com/forum/album.php?u=47863
loose_electron is offline   Reply With Quote