Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

View Poll Results: Do you want poly-urethane body mounts?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 2 13.33%
Undecided 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Default 4th Gen Poly-Urethane Body Mounts

I also made this thread on T4R.org http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...dy-mounts.html, but I figured I'd duplicate it here:

So a little while ago I emailed 3 companies that supply body mounts for 3rd gens about 4th gen products. The response I got was roughly, "we're not planning it now, but if there's sales to be made we'd be interested." Ah, good old capitalism at its finest!

So now I am curious to see if there really is a market for us, most of us have our vehicles hitting a decade old if not getting close to there and these body mounts hold up pretty well, but they won't last forever. I know a couple of mine are cracking, compressed, and showing wear at nearly 10 years old with some off-road abuse. As you may or may not know, to replace all 8 body mounts from Toyota (currently the only supplier for 4th gens) its about $500+ dollars for the rubbers and hardware. So I want to encourage members to vote in the attached poll and please email your desires to these guys (maybe even link this thread for them to check out? ):

sales@prothane.com
tech@daystarweb.com
hyperflex@energysuspension.com

~

Small update, I got bored and started playing on Toyota Parts - Shop OEM Toyota Parts Online at Village Toyota and found that the 4th gen 4Runner and FJ Cruiser share all the same body mount part numbers save for 2 body mounts that the 4th gen uses due to a longer frame.

The 5th Gen 4Runner has a different set of part numbers than the 4th gen (but the body mount locations are identical to the 4th gen), but I would assume it has more to do with hardness of the rubber than anything. The Tacoma also has different part numbers, but again seem to share similar enough structure that I wouldn't be surprised if they would interchange as it seems they may simply be different durometers.

So basically, if I were any of these three companies; I would highly considering making 1 or two durometer options in poly-urethane as most, if not all the J120 & J150 vehicles seem to have extremely similar body mounts. This would mean they could produce a smaller quantity of SKUs that would be applicable for 2 Generations of 4Runners, the FJ Cruiser, and 2nd Gen Tacoma. Which means less investment in development, tooling, packaging, ect. that would be required with a broader range of prospective customers and larger potential for a return on their investment.

FJ Cruiser Front Mount:
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...220135100.html

4th Gen 4Runner Front Mount:
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...220135100.html

5th Gen 4Runner Front Mount:
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...220160070.html

2nd Gen Tacoma Front Mount:
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...220104040.html

Post Note:
Perhaps someone could post a link to this thread and/or make a sister thread in both Tacoma World & the FJ Forums if they have an account?

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 10-23-2014 at 11:08 PM.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
Robinhood4x4
Driver

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't Roger Brown make body mounts for the 4th gen?

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...Kit.shtml#FAQ5
Unread 10-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't Roger Brown make body mounts for the 4th gen?

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...Kit.shtml#FAQ5
I don't see him mentioning that he makes body mount bushings. Are you sure you're not confusing "Body Lift" for Body Mount Bushings? The Bushings are the rubber parts that secure the cab to the frame, the Body Lift is what goes on top of those.

The main reason for this thread is to see if there is enough market to get one of these 3 aftermarket companies to offer replacements for our vehicle. Currently the cost to replace all 8 body mount bushings with hardware on our 4th gens is in excessive of about $600 with factory parts (the only source at the moment.)
Unread 10-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Robinhood4x4
Driver

Gotchya. I've never done a body lift so didn't realize the difference. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask him if he can make some. Or maybe you can order some material from McMaster and make your own.
Unread 10-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

If they were available when I did my BL I'd of purchased them immediately. At this point, however, I wouldn't buy a set unless my factory rubber fell apart and needed to be replaced, but it would be nice if that option existed. Hopefully someone will produce a set.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

As Mike mentioned the ideal time is when someone does a body lift. Typically the rubber units last quite a long time, but a good option when you go through the work for a BL to upgrade to units that will last.

What is the impact on NVH with these vs OEM?

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
As Mike mentioned the ideal time is when someone does a body lift. Typically the rubber units last quite a long time, but a good option when you go through the work for a BL to upgrade to units that will last.

What is the impact on NVH with these vs OEM?
Honestly I would prefer just new OEM ones, the factory units on my vehicle have made it 10yrs/100k, but some of them are starting to fail. But the Poly-Urethane units should stiffen up some of the body roll inherent in Body on Frame vehicles, which theoretically might mean less body tilt in tight areas (such as the woods I experienced at Shave Lake), but it would impact ride quality if they were made too stiff. So if one were to produce such mounts I would suspect they'd want a bit stiffer than factory, but not by much to make the ride bearable for most of their customer base; considering most hard core people will more than likely go for solid mounts and/or dedicated cage frames.

A full set of brand new factory body mount units with hardware is around $600 from Toyota, the only source at the moment for 4th Gen 4Runners, 5th Gen 4Runners, 2nd Gen Tacomas, and FJ Cruisers (about $30~40 per rubber, which is sold as Top & Bottom for a single mount, so 16 Rubbers x $35= $560 not including hardware.)

Where as a set from Energy Suspension for the 3rd gen is around $200. This is mainly what is holding me back on my body lift because I'd rather not do the whole process twice. I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of poly-urethane, but if its not too stiff I am willing to go for it based on the reliability and price point.

Based on the similarities of the J120 & J150 platform in terms of mount locations and design, as well the popularity of off-roading the FJ & Tacomas, I would think this should have been a no brainer for these companies. So out of a little bit of frugality and selfishness I am trying to see how much of a market there is for this product.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 10-26-2014 at 02:19 PM.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Anyone happen to know or have an idea of what the factory durameter is for the Body Mounts?
Unread 10-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Resurrecting a old thread...

Any updates on this?

I get a lot of "chatter" when hitting bumps or grades in the road and it feels like it's my body mounts, I did do a body lift so I'm not sure if something else is causing this issue but the "chatter" feels like it's from the body
the_josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
Resurrecting a old thread...

Any updates on this?

I get a lot of "chatter" when hitting bumps or grades in the road and it feels like it's my body mounts, I did do a body lift so I'm not sure if something else is causing this issue but the "chatter" feels like it's from the body
Never got enough people to show interest, so your best bet is to probably get all new factory stuff. I paid about $400 shipped for everything from Partsouq.com.

How'd the alignment go?
Unread 12-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
badmotorfinger
Rookie

BlackWorks:
What were the symptoms of your worn bushings? Did the new OEM bushings tighten up the body roll at all?

The Josh:
I emailed Roger Brown last night and he said he might be able to fab some up, but he needs the diameters, heights, and bolt diameters for each of the 8 body mount bushings. I'll send those to him today and will let you know what he says (if your still interested in PU body mounts).
badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I'd be in for new body mounts
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotorfinger View Post
BlackWorks:
What were the symptoms of your worn bushings? Did the new OEM bushings tighten up the body roll at all?

The Josh:
I emailed Roger Brown last night and he said he might be able to fab some up, but he needs the diameters, heights, and bolt diameters for each of the 8 body mount bushings. I'll send those to him today and will let you know what he says (if your still interested in PU body mounts).
It did stiffen the body roll some. I don't know if I can put my finger on any one symptom, but I could see how it had worn and allowed debris and rust to get under the bushing. There was a good 1/8 deep of grime and rusty mess under the 2nd set of body mount bushings (the ones next to the firewall behind the front tire). The first set (the ones under the front fender corners forward of the front tire) were torn to hell and weren't doing much. That might have contributed to the front end of the body "wiggling" more than normal, but I didn't measure it to be honest.
Unread 12-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #14
Wanderer
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
Honestly I would prefer just new OEM ones, the factory units on my vehicle have made it 10yrs/100k, but some of them are starting to fail. But the Poly-Urethane units should stiffen up some of the body roll inherent in Body on Frame vehicles, which theoretically might mean less body tilt in tight areas (such as the woods I experienced at Shave Lake), but it would impact ride quality if they were made too stiff. So if one were to produce such mounts I would suspect they'd want a bit stiffer than factory, but not by much to make the ride bearable for most of their customer base
Could the poly mounts be made somewhat thicker than stock to provide a small (half inch or less) body lift as well as more room for the poly to squish and absorb vibration?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #15
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Could the poly mounts be made somewhat thicker than stock to provide a small (half inch or less) body lift as well as more room for the poly to squish and absorb vibration?
The poly-urethane won't squish the same way rubber does unless you get poly that is as soft as rubber bushings.

Additionally I don't know for sure about using taller poly bushings to create a "body lift" effect. I suppose it's possibly, but I hadn't thought about actually designing them for the vehicle in a long while.
Unread 12-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
Wanderer
Driver

I realize the urethane would be firmer. It is my understanding that up to a 1/2" body lift requires no other modifications; it's a direct swap. If the mounts are made taller but of a firmer material the effective spring constant would be closer to stock, while compared to rigid lift spacers the urethane mounts could ride softer. If it works out right it could be "win-win" I think.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #17
tigerwong58
Rock Ninja

My Roger Brown 1 1/2" set was installed on my 2005 in 2009, all still good, including the rubber mounts, now have 190,000 miles on them.
tigerwong58 is offline   Reply With Quote