Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Untamed
Rookie

Default Recovery Strap and Hook Up?

Opinion on a 20,000 lb. Explorer Pro Comp Strap (2" x 30')? Is the 20K sufficient?
Also, what is wrong with placing the loop over the ball hitch instead of using a shackle? I have done this many times with no problems but these shackles seem to be preferred.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed
Also, what is wrong with placing the loop over the ball hitch instead of using a shackle? I have done this many times with no problems but these shackles seem to be preferred.
You really don't want to do that. That ball flying at 100mph into the back of a puller's head can put a real downer on the day. Hitch balls are rated for towing, not recovery. The shock loads on recovery can be quite large.

Unbolt the ball and put a shackle in there. Besides, the strap can slip off the ball too.

I think a 3" would be better if you are a heavier rig like a mid-size SUV. It would be good to have both. The 2" is usually for lighter rigs like minitrucks or lighter suv's.

30' is a good length. The 20' seems to be short for many situations

Good luck & be safe!
Cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Using shackles are a lot safer as they keep the strap in place, so no accindental slipoffs.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 03:10 AM   #4
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
Using shackles are a lot safer as they keep the strap in place, so no accidental slip offs.

Hey, my new front SW bumper will have more shackles too!!!
Take off the hitch and get the block and shackle, the block will slide right into your receiver, and you're set. I got mine @ 4Wheel parts. Never have taken it off since, I haven't towed anything either though.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
kdubz
Driver

I got a 30,000lb 30 ft pro comp recovery strap today and a hitch shackle thing from 4wheel parts. (The darn thing was expensive)

Is one strap all I need?

Donahoe c/os. Donahoe Rear Shocks. Deaver Coils. Shrockworks Bolt on Sliders. BFG A/T 265/75/16
kdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubz
I got a 30,000lb 30 ft pro comp recovery strap today and a hitch shackle thing from 4wheel parts. (The darn thing was expensive)

Is one strap all I need?
I got my 3" 30' strap from wheelers. They are not too expensive and it is a pretty good quality strap.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runnertowstrap.htm

I have 1 or 2 extra straps, shorter 20' and 2". I have used them a few times for mud recoveries. That way I just give it to the person being recovered, after the recovery. They are cheap and I dont really want to deal with a muddy strap afterwards. Reminds me I probably need to get one more at some point.

I also have a snatch strap for heavy duty recoveries, but have yet to use it. I'll save that for a really rainy day.

Next on the list is winch recovery gear.

So basically it is good to have a heavy duty 30' strap adn a shorter (cheaper) 20' strap for those muddy pulls that don't require that bulk, but you don't want to mess up your nice strap. Make sure you have shackles though. Normally one strap is good, but a cheaper second strap is sometimes good to have. More important is to wheel with other folk to pull you out

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Smile IDEA! - Bill Burke 4wd Evangelist

I am not huge at posting my opinions, but:
I think a lot of fellas would be benefited by buying the dvd by Bill Burke called
GETTING UNSTUCK! He educates us a lot on what to do, what to use, how to discern which parts are made for our hobby and not. ETC,ETC,ETC!
If you havent heard of this dude, just pick up this months issue of 4WD Toyota magazine or visit: http://www.bb4wa.com/
JeepResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
TXST8tj
Rookie

the best thing to do when recovering using a strap and hitch is to slip the loop end of the strap into the receiver hitch and put the pin through that. there is no need for added products. they are nice BLING effects, but not needed.

it is certainly not bad to have a receiver mounted shackle, it's just another expense. it does have that "bad a$$" vibe though.

Last edited by TXST8tj; 05-17-2007 at 07:05 AM.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
TXST8tj
Rookie

oh, and while a 3" wide strap is a nice choice if you can, a 2" x 20' works just fine for recovering midsized SUVs. it didn't even break a sweat pulling my buddy's WJ with my TJ and 2" x 30' Procomp recovery strap.

Unread 05-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Cool Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
the best thing to do when recovering using a strap and hitch is to slip the loop end of the strap into the receiver hitch and put the pin through that. there is no need for added products. they are nice BLING effects, but not needed.

it is certainly not bad to have a receiver mounted shackle, it's just another expense. it does have that "bad a$$" vibe though.

I love the reciever shackle, but its all looks.

Puttin it with just the hitch and pin is the smartest way IMHO!
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
TXST8tj
Rookie

i agree (obviously). it's just one less thing to fail and one less thing to lug around.
Unread 05-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
bulldog
Admin

I'm not a big fan of just using the reciever hitch pin for recovery. Though it will work it opens the possibility of 2 things to happen. 1. My reciever has soem good scuff marks from rocks and the strap will get scuffed on it. 2. The pin was designed to be used with a metal piece that has atight fit inside the reciever, thus reducing the stress on the pin. If you use a strap directly on the pin the stress will be much more centered in the pin and opens the possibility of actually bending it. It is also a pain in the ass to access, especially if you are in mud and deep water.

Teh additional cost of the hitch shackle reciever is minimal for the rduction of recovery risk and convenience. There is no downside to using it apart from minimal cost. I highly advice folsk to get it unless they have an aftermarket bumper with recovery points on it.

Most recoveries is basially just towing the rig out, which means minimal stress on the parts. However if someone is stuck in mud, etc up to the frame the load will increase significantly and a good snatch might be involved, this increases the load considerably. I would rather be safe than sorry. The rule of thumb is about 3x the full vehicle weight for straps for hard recoveries as the strap will add elasticity to the recovery. Most 2" straps will be fine if the rating is sufficient, I just prefer some more beef as I like straps to last longer.

Never had an issue with recovery equipment and would prefer to keep it that way. As said above some ofthese course are pretty good to go to. Better safe than sorry.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 05-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #13
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Using the hitch pin is suspect for lots of reasons.

Your strap has to pull straight back to evenly load the pin as well as not chafe and bind on the edge of the receiver opening. A D shackle gives you more freedom to handle off-axis pulls.

From another forum:

Most people are using a class III hitch pin, which is typically a 5/8" pin made from C1018 or 304 stainless. A 5/8" hitch pin will yield at about 9300 lbs. A severe pull with a recovery strap can exceed that which could cause the pin to bend or break in the middle. Hitch pins are almost never heat treated and since they achieve their rated strength of about 5000 lbs without it, no one is going to actually grade a Class III hitch pin
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Wink Oh Yeah

You guys are right.
I forgot about that stuff.
Although, I always use as many implements as necessary.
One thing against the hitch pin too, is side to side pressure against that sharp angle of the mouth of the hitch. Using the shackle, you dont have that problem.

And heck, I'll be damned before I abuse my recovery equip.
Just my .02!

OOPS, I JUST REALIZED SOMEONE ALREADY SAID THIS!!!! SORRY!!!!

So, I take back what I said. But still, it depends on the situation.
Unread 05-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
the best thing to do when recovering using a strap and hitch is to slip the loop end of the strap into the receiver hitch and put the pin through that. there is no need for added products. they are nice BLING effects, but not needed....it is certainly not bad to have a receiver mounted shackle, it's just another expense. it does have that "bad a$$" vibe though.

I will disagree with you for the same reasons already posted.

Wear on a strap from sharp edges of the reciever are an unacceptable risk.

The pin can bend - why would you risk this?

Bling??? Why?? It's strong, purpose built, convenient, cheap, proven. What's your definition of bling? Most of us like bigger wheels and tires and that's probably more bling than a recovery tool.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
07 Elephant
Elephant Trainer

"Always be prepared" from our boy hood days. Some things you can get by with and others require a specific tool; the best of both examples are when form follows function and the result is beautiful. Shackles? No need to cut a corner here. Use the right tool for the job.
Rob's Elephant: 2007 4Runner V8 limited 4x4 w/navi, Shrockworks sliders, ARB bull bar, Gobi stealth roof rack, Budbuilt skids, Icon UCAs, Icon coilovers, Icon rear, custom coils, Airlift 1000, Wabfab end links, Slee lines, Nitto dune grapplers 285/60/18, 1/2" BL, spider trax 1.25, Warn xp9.5, 10 IPF lights, dual battery, aux fuse box, custom alum drawer, Engel 45, Maggiolina Grand Tour Gallery
07 Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #17
Wanderer
Driver

Pardon the thread necromancy. At 48 seconds into this video from the ARB YouTube channel shows the use of only a hitch pin to attach the recovery strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ire31FrEAI

If there is concern with center-loading the pin why not use a simple cylindrical insert inside the loop of the tow strap? If the edge of the hitch opening is sharp or rough why not smooth it with a file?

Last edited by Wanderer; 10-19-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote