Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 02-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #101
Darklight
Old Timer

Well she's sealed up. Now it's a window.
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #102
Darklight
Old Timer

Anyone know which fuse is for the sunroof ?
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #103
gm350reratliff
Driver

Don't quote me but I believe the moonroof fuse also supplies power to some other stuff. You may have just unplug the connector from the moonroof motor.
2014 4Runner TE
Icons, Camburg UCA's, SAW coils, Ridge Grapplers, BudBuilt sliders, some other stuff. Build thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
gm350reratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #104
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm350reratliff View Post
Don't quote me but I believe the moonroof fuse also supplies power to some other stuff. You may have just unplug the connector from the moonroof motor.
The sunroof wiring feeds in the same harness as the map lights and power rearview mirror (if you have one). I don't think you can disable the sunroof without compromising those as well.

I took my motor completely out and just zip tied the cables together, it worked great for me.
Unread 02-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #105
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks guys. I was wondering that as well about the fuse. Does anyone know which wire supplies the power to the sunroof? It would be easier to snip it than remove the motor. Unless I can remove it without dropping the headliner
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #106
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Thanks guys. I was wondering that as well about the fuse. Does anyone know which wire supplies the power to the sunroof? It would be easier to snip it than remove the motor. Unless I can remove it without dropping the headliner
I'm 99% sure you can remove it without dropping the headliner. The whole thing is pretty exposed just from taking the map light assembly off.
Other than that, I don't know which wire to snip
Unread 02-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #107
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks Jeffy, I'll probably remove it then. Anyone want to buy a WeatherTech sunroof Visor? I can't use it anymore. It works really good on cutting down wind noise.
Darklight's Build
Unread 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #108
Taco XL
Rookie

Man, I'm plagued by this too! The rattle drives me crazy, if I push up on the glass I can move it 1/8th of an inch up and down and reproduce the sound. I looked it over pretty good but wasn't able to determine what exactly came loss beyond the same arm you described. What a PITA.
Taco XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #109
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco XL View Post
Man, I'm plagued by this too! The rattle drives me crazy, if I push up on the glass I can move it 1/8th of an inch up and down and reproduce the sound. I looked it over pretty good but wasn't able to determine what exactly came loss beyond the same arm you described. What a PITA.
I think my solution was the most effective- total your car and have the insurance company buy you a new one without a sunroof .

That sunroof is a huge PITA. There's no good permanent fix other than sealing it shut, which is what I eventually did after spending way too much time trying to make it work properly.
Unread 05-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #110
hoodoo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I think my solution was the most effective- total your car and have the insurance company buy you a new one without a sunroof .
Best solution I've heard for that sunroof rattle! ;-)
hoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #111
Darklight
Old Timer

Well it's been exactly a year and my sunroof has been rattle free since I sealed it shut. The lack of headroom is really bugging me though and not being able to open it as well. I am considering trying to modify the head liner and removing the sunroof railing and other parts. Leaving the glass sealed shut and hopefully supported somehow. I have been in the look out for a junkyard one. If I can find a non sunroof headliner that would be perfect. Just cut out the sunroof area like a window.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #112
Darklight
Old Timer

Default the saga continues

So last night I attempted to break the seal on the silicon and open my sunroof. I was actually getting tired of not being able to use the darn thing and I was ultra-curious about the rattle.
Well I cut the seal on the silicon all the way around but I didnít cut it deep enough in one corner. When I went to open the sunroof the entire corner and about 6Ē of weather stripping separated. So now I am screwed lol. Not sure what to do at this point. Looks like I need to replace the entire glass as the weather stripping is a part of the glass.

On a good note I think I found what was causing my sun roof to rattle. The back corner mounting bolt was stripped and the glass would pull up/down in the mount when I tilted it. It must have been from when Toyota replaced the hinge/slide assembly. I never messed with the glass. I also found a loose mounting bolt on the same side under the headliner where the slide rail attaches to the body. Thanks South Blvd Toyota. Since it was over 2 years ago they will not warranty anything.

I fought that stripped bolt for at least an hour. Broke the back side off of another working part, bent the slide rail a little and finally said itís time to drill the darn bolt out. Well 30 seconds later and itís out. I didnít have a replacement bolt but mustered up a SS bolt with a nylock washer and it fits and works. Driving to work I didnít hear any rattle and my sunroof now works again as well. Need to fix the weather stripping asap before it rains!!!!

Anyone know where I can get a replacement sunroof glass assembly for cheap? I looked high and low at pull apart/ junk yards but cannot find a 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner in the South East! I found some salvaged ones but I would need to buy the entire vehicle, lol.
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #113
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Quote:

Anyone know where I can get a replacement sunroof glass assembly for cheap? I looked high and low at pull apart/ junk yards but cannot find a 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner in the South East! I found some salvaged ones but I would need to buy the entire vehicle, lol.
There is a wrecking company out here called B&R Auto Wrecking. They have a few 4Runners between their locations. I looked but couldn't find a moonroof but they may have it listed under a different name.

If you want to call and you can find it at the Eugene, Corvallis, Portland location I will happily pick it up and ship it to you.
Kramer 2005 Sport, OW 2.5" CO's, 1.5" RB BL, 3.5" AllPro Rear Springs with Icon Long Travel 2.0, Camburg UCAs, Hanna Quality Sliders, 35x12.50/17 Toyo MT, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, Perkins Bumper, Baja Rack, Smittybilt XRC8, Yukon 4.88 Front and Rear, Custom Rear Bumper, Extended Rear End Links
Upcoming Mods:
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #114
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks Doug! I really appreciate that. I have a buddy looking into it one NY right now.
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #115
Jola66
Rookie

I have similar issue, it looks like its a plastic part, don't know the name, but it goes from one side to the other. Kind of u-shaped (elongated U, |_____|)
I used some hard foam wedged in, that only worked for a while, then I used rubber cement, works better. Good luck.
Jola66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #116
Darklight
Old Timer

so does anyone have pictures of the headliner removed and the side trim still intact? I am wondering how bad it would look with no headliner at all. The areas that would look weird would be around the doors and quarter panels. Maybe just trim out the whole dip for the sunroof out and have something custom made to cover it? I would put sound deadener of course , lol.
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #117
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
so does anyone have pictures of the headliner removed and the side trim still intact? I am wondering how bad it would look with no headliner at all. The areas that would look weird would be around the doors and quarter panels. Maybe just trim out the whole dip for the sunroof out and have something custom made to cover it? I would put sound deadener of course , lol.
I like the idea of cutting out the dip and covering it. Maybe use some subwoofer carpet to cover? That's pretty cheap. If you do it right it might look good to just cover the entire headliner with it for a uniform look. It's easy to work with, you can just glue it onto the existing headliner and it would probably turn out great
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #118
Charlotte4runner
Rookie

Default Rattle solution for some

Passing this on to whoever it may help. Been dealing with this rattle for about a year now. Read about 2 dozen threads and tried all kinds of things. The difficulty with this moonroof is there are about 6 places that it can rattle, so some solutions work for some, others not at all. I tracked my down to the actual glass/ seal assembly. It was moving up and down in the back about 2mm every time I hit the tiniest of bumps. I finally got the idea to force the moonroof up about 2 mm. I got a black pool noodle (or a pipe insulator), cut 2 inches off, and shoved it up on both sides in the back corners. Its quiet as factory now. Flawless. Tried to attach pics, but uploads kept failing. Its cheap, its easy and its quiet for those with the same cause of rattle.

For me in Charlotte, I almost never close the sunroof cover. If I wanted to open the moonroof, Id just pop them back out. But 95% of the time, its in the cover open position, moonroof closed. Cheers to all for the help over the years.
Charlotte4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #119
Darklight
Old Timer

So you're in charlotte? I have had my sunroof replaced 2 times and now I have multiple problems with it. The glass weatherstrip is torn and the assembly rear drain guide snapped off. It's sealed shut now and doesn't make a peep anymore. I wish I could use it or get rid of it all together and gain the extra head room it is robbing me of. I have a local salvage yard on the hunt for a full assembly and new glass. Not sure I really want to go through the headache again of all of this though.

Glad to see you have some good results rigging up yours. Reading this makes me want to cap off the sunroof and add a non sunroof roof headliner.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #120
Charlotte4runner
Rookie

Default Rattle

SE Charlotte. Yeah, I saw you were in Charlotte too. Temps can vary fast around here 30-80 degrees in 4 hours. I certainly dont think that helps with contraction and expansion of the moonroof. Sorry to hear youve had to get it replaced. I was concerned about that, the cost and the possibility that it might not fix the issue. Im 10 years in now, 2007 SR5, and would like to keep another 10 years, but a $1000 fix on a $10000 KBB value vehicle doesnt make sense. Solution has to be cheap.
Charlotte4runner is offline   Reply With Quote