Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Cool, setting the trend! Thanks again, your pics and info has sOld me on this kit. I will prbay wait until I can afford the links and nicer shocks than the Icon VS, undecided if I want to keep looking into King, the Radflos or the Icon 2.5s, so it may be a while. I will be sure to post pics and before and after measurements.

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #22
loose_electron
Driver

Darklight,

You asked for a side view. Currently the 4Runner is full of fuel and there is not as much rake, but I could adjust it more by raising the front collars on the COs.
Additionally in the rear it is leaning to the left 1/2". This is after the 1-1/2" Daystar Spacer installed on the upper left coil...but will return within 1/8" to level.

Here are the measurements I took tonight, from the top outside lip of the beadlock (tire meets metal) to the center of the fender, using a tape measure and steel square.

I'm guessing unless you have the same rims and tires you may get different numbers.

Left Rear (LR) - 15.25" (15-1/4")
Right Rear (RR) - 15.75" (15-3/4")

Front Left (FL) - 15"
Front Right (FR) - 15.125" (15-1/8")

Initial measurements after the kit was installed yielded an increase over stock of:

LR - 3.6875" (3-11/16")
RR - 3.9375" (3-15/16")

FL - 3.6875" (3-11/16")
FR - 4"

Note: on the front I flipped the top hat adapter (single bolt attaches to shock and three bolts attach to the CO tower) attached to the ICON COs, as you would if you had a 2wd. This gave an additional 1" of lift (est). Then I adjusted the collars down with 2" of thread showing above collar. There is one drawback...
The right inner CV boot rib makes contact during suspension cycling. I will swap to 930 CV boots in the future. The tapered boot ribs on the 930 boot help to minimize the common points of wear and failure on the non tapered pleat style cv boot.

Let the question begin...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BP 5.JPG (77.3 KB, 116 views)
'04 Sport V8 4x4, 265/70/17 BFG MT KM2 E, HD Series TR beadlocks 17x8.5 +4" bs, NO Swaybars, TC+2 Long Travel, Spindel Gussets, Upper Coil Tower Gussets, LCA Cam Tabs, ICON frt CO 650lb springs w/resi, ICON Bypass w/Resi. Metal Tech(MT) LT Progressive Spring, MT specs-ICON developed LT shock-2.5 rear w/resi. Rear ARB, sPod, Shrockworks Skids http://www.toyota120.com/forum/album.php?u=47863

Last edited by loose_electron; 11-10-2012 at 08:42 AM.
loose_electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Darklight
Old Timer

Looks good thanks for the info. I really like the idea of the progressive spring rate being used in the rear coils along with the travel added but just wanted see the height gained by them.
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
theelectrician
Driver

Wait. You had to add a 1.5" spacer to one side in the rear to get it to sit close to level from side to side?
theelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
Wishbone
Senior Driver

I was wondering about this a as well, that seems like a pretty big spacer to get er even.

Unread 11-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #26
loose_electron
Driver

Yes, in the end I used a 1.5" spacer, but first I contacted LT at Metal Tech. He said "it is a known problem on Toyotas since 1963, then explained why. Well that pre-dates me by five years so I took that info as a fact...then I did further research on the web and found the fix with P/N KT09127BK for the Daystar spacer.

Attached are a few links and an excert from one showing weights on each corner of the 4Runner and the cause of the lean.
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/archi...p/t-19856.html

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22191

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23199

Photog
08-26-2011, 04:52 AM
I am trying to update a number of threads that discuss this leaning issue. Here is the info I posted elsewhere:

Today I weighed the rear axle, Left, Right and Total. 1/2 tank fuel, me out of vehicle, all cargo weight balanced (left/right)

Results: REAR

Total = 2500 lbs
Left = 1440 lbs
Right = 1060

Left-Rear is 380 lbs heavier than right. This compresses the left spring more than the right, causing the lean.

Edit: FRONT

Total = 2380 lbs
Left = 1160 lbs
Right = 1220 lbs

Right-Front is 60 lbs heavier than the Left. Not what you would think, is it?

Now you can see why the 4Runner leans to the left, and why a spacer in the left rear, helps so much.

I have the OME 895 coils in the rear. Their spring rate is 260 lbs/in. The extra 380 lbs on the left side would compress this spring an extra 1.4 inches. Since the springs are not at the ends of the axle, there are some other suspension dynamics to consider. But, it is clear that the left will be compressed more than the right, by at least 1.0 inches (usually more).

I believe the rear springs for the 4Runner should be different spring rates or different lengths, since the weight bias is well over 15% (more when unloaded).

Bulldog,

Can you add any info? I can't find the picture you had posted in a parking lot, showing the rear of your rig leveled after the spacer.
'04 Sport V8 4x4, 265/70/17 BFG MT KM2 E, HD Series TR beadlocks 17x8.5 +4" bs, NO Swaybars, TC+2 Long Travel, Spindel Gussets, Upper Coil Tower Gussets, LCA Cam Tabs, ICON frt CO 650lb springs w/resi, ICON Bypass w/Resi. Metal Tech(MT) LT Progressive Spring, MT specs-ICON developed LT shock-2.5 rear w/resi. Rear ARB, sPod, Shrockworks Skids http://www.toyota120.com/forum/album.php?u=47863

Last edited by loose_electron; 03-19-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Unread 11-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #27
tweakeraz
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post

Bulldog,

Can you add any info? I can't find the picture you had posted in a parking lot, showing the rear of your rig leveled after the spacer.
Photog, I believe is the one who posted the pic with it level after he performed that Mod.

Here is the thread: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19856

Here is his pic. I assume you mean this one:

08 Limited V8 4wd - Titanium - ICON F/R, ICON UCA's, 1/2" BL, BFG 285/70/17 TA KO on on Method Standard 17 x8.5 wheels, WabFab links, Rear Spacer (Corrected "The Lean"), HID kit, Driver side grab handle, Speedohealer, Rola Rack
Mods coming soon: Who knows... preferably comms of some sort.
tweakeraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #28
loose_electron
Driver

Ah, that's the one! Thanks

Another link.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21404

Last edited by loose_electron; 11-08-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
theelectrician
Driver

Loose electron-

Do you think that those coils would be able to compress short enough to be able to use the factory bump stops without relocating them? Assuming the shocks are short enough.
theelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #30
loose_electron
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelectrician View Post
Loose electron-

Do you think that those coils would be able to compress short enough to be able to use the factory bump stops without relocating them? Assuming the shocks are short enough.
The springs may compress further without an extended bumpstop, (I need to look thru some old pictures).

In my case I'm running a wheel with a 4" backspace which sets the wheel out 1" further than stock and contacts the mudflap on full stuff.

Further up travel will destroy the mudflap, bumper, etc. Image doing this with some speed, like ramping the truck.

Last edited by loose_electron; 11-13-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Hey Loose,

Not sure if you mentioned this but what are the actual compressed and extended #'s of the shocks?

Also that 11.5" of travel is pretty impressive in the factory location. did Metaltech advise the use of limit straps? how is the pinion angle looking when drooped that low with the factory links?

Trying to find some ideas for my 97 without going custom. I'm already using factory 06 shocks in the rear so mounting would be bolt in.

Thanks,
1979 VW rabbit 1.6D - low and slow weekend cruiser
Bay Area local born and raised
crazydubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #32
Darklight
Old Timer

From MetalTechs website:
Metal Tech 4x4 FJ Cruiser/4Runner (2003-current) rear long travel progressive rate coil spring. Metal Tech 4x4 designed a unique progressive rate spring that has a free height of 19 1/4" while still maintaining a 2" lift. The bottom half the coil is rated at 250lbs of spring rate and the upper portion is at 105lbs of spring rate. With this combination the spring can stay in it's compressed position at ride height and expand out to it's full free height on down travel.
Since Toyota does not capture the coil spring the suspension travel is limited to the free height of the spring (ie the total length of the spring) before the spring will fall out of the coil buckets

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-492-fj...l-springs.aspx

Claims 11.5" of shock travel and a total of 27" rear wheel travel up/down. I really like these coils but wish they made them with a heavier spring rate for rear bumpers,exc.

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-481-me...e-stage-2.aspx
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #33
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

I know about the website description as I have looked into this a fair bit in the past. I was more interested in the actual compressed and extended lengths from bushings to eyelet. That 27" is articulated droop not straight droop.

That is not something that metal tech stated on their website.
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #34
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Todd,

I emailed MT several times while researching this, and the lengths are 28.5” extended and 17” collapsed length. They can do the Icon and Radflos with these lengths, both in resi and smooth body. I also looked into King, and they could come close to matching those dimensions, but not with a post/stem mount top, only bushing/bushing, or so they claimed.

Last edited by Wishbone; 09-24-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #35
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
I really like these coils but wish they made them with a heavier spring rate for rear bumpers,exc.
Saw this on T4R, guy claims they performed well with a trailer in tow, and his pic looks like he has some weight on the rack, but dont know how reliable/useful this is . . .

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...s.html:guitar:

Unread 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #36
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

Right on wishbone. Thanks for the specs. Those sure are some long suckas aren't they... Looks like they may be out of my league then unless I do a custom outboard upper shock mount...
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Yeah, not sure the specs on the 3rd gens, but they also recommend upper and lower links to go with the kit. The stem mount might become a hinder with that amount of travel as well, but others using it seem to have success.

I still plan to do this kit at some point, but want to do it right with the links and better shocks than the smooth body Icons, need more money . . .

Unread 01-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #38
loose_electron
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydubman View Post
Hey Loose,

Not sure if you mentioned this but what are the actual compressed and extended #'s of the shocks?

Also that 11.5" of travel is pretty impressive in the factory location. did Metaltech advise the use of limit straps? how is the pinion angle looking when drooped that low with the factory links?

Trying to find some ideas for my 97 without going custom. I'm already using factory 06 shocks in the rear so mounting would be bolt in.

Thanks,
You want to know the compressed length as sitting on all fours and flat ground? And the droop, as when the rear frame is on jack stands and the axle hanging down? By the way my truck is in the driveway like that now, I have the front COs out.

Metal Tech did not recommend any limits straps, the springs are longer than available droop on either side and the shocks are a little longer as well. I didn't notice any severe pinion angles, but I never ran with factory links with this configuration. I adjusted the TC links to the factory length.

Maybe explore building some custom offset links using poly on one end and either Johnny Joints or Heim ends on the other end.

I'm following your build and it looks great! I had considered buying a 3rd Gen before I found my truck deal and couldn't pass it up.
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #39
loose_electron
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
From MetalTechs website:
Metal Tech 4x4 FJ Cruiser/4Runner (2003-current) rear long travel progressive rate coil spring. Metal Tech 4x4 designed a unique progressive rate spring that has a free height of 19 1/4" while still maintaining a 2" lift. The bottom half the coil is rated at 250lbs of spring rate and the upper portion is at 105lbs of spring rate. With this combination the spring can stay in it's compressed position at ride height and expand out to it's full free height on down travel.
Since Toyota does not capture the coil spring the suspension travel is limited to the free height of the spring (ie the total length of the spring) before the spring will fall out of the coil buckets

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-492-fj...l-springs.aspx

Claims 11.5" of shock travel and a total of 27" rear wheel travel up/down. I really like these coils but wish they made them with a heavier spring rate for rear bumpers,exc.

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-481-me...e-stage-2.aspx
How much does the average CBI or 4x4Labs bumper weight?
I have stacked 85 bricks (10 lbs each) 850lbs twice with a slight squat. I was happily surprised while driving back home from Home Depot (the brick stacking employees were surprised too).

Since they are dual rate they also have smooth road manners when the truck is empty.
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #40
Cruisermansd
Rookie

wishbone, If your sold on the LT kit I would recommend getting the Icon shocks. MT has them specifically built for this kit. When I talked to Brandon at MT he said that you don't need to run a rear sway bar because the shocks are valved perfectly, I was kinda worried about this but after installing and doing a mild test run with it I was totally floored for how well it handled. I am sure you can get kings, or FOX's Valved the same but you would need to find out from MT what they have the Icons set at.

Now for the links AMAZING! is all i can say. Simple install and very well built. The kit as a whole is just very well thought out and complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1658.jpg (2.89 MB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1633.jpg (2.54 MB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1634.jpg (3.18 MB, 159 views)
Cruisermansd is offline   Reply With Quote