Driver

Looks great man!
momo.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #582
Inv4drZm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Tires are on and way more proportionate to the truck. Driving seems perfect with the 4.56ís, sits a little higher up and these were a little bigger than I was expecting, especially compared to a 305/70r16 and 285/75r16
Speedo is off a good bit now, at 70 says Iím going 77 so not to bad but will address.
They rub a good bit and will be some work to get them to fit properly or a larger body lift, which I donít plan on doing.
Things I need to address,
1) Sliders need to be cut back a good 1.5Ē and recapped asap. Stubbs sliders are pretty long. Alternative would be cut them off and get a s=different set or set them back about 2Ē iinches. To much work and will just trim them. Richard Stubbs says itís not a problem and easy to just trim them on the truck.
2) Body Mount chop chopped even more lol. Might need to take a big portion out of my already chopped body mount. Not too concerned about it. I see some folks have there whole body mount buthered almost to the frame. Wonít be that excessive for mine.
3) Pinch welds that are beaten will need to be criss cross cut and beaten more. A little concerned that they might open up and not be fixable without a welder. Donít have one handy or I would cut out the portion and replate it. Might do that for the long run.
4) Possibly upper portion of the stock plastic fenders. Initially I planed on trimming 3Ē out of the entire stock plastic fenders. Not sure I need to yet, off road /flex testing will let me know for sure. Already planning on LT though so I contacted McNeil racing and Advanced Glass (formerly Glassworks) about their fenders. It sounds like my three hoop Demello may come into contact with the front portion of any glass fenders. Might be able to drop my bumper a hair for more clearance not sure though.

Anyone with glass and a three hoop have any comments?

On to the install pictures.
Joel and the_Josh have fiberglass fenders with 3 hoop bumpers, pretty sure it will work just fine because fiberglass fenders have the same front angle as stock fenders, they just stick out further.

The Stubb's sliders do fit with 35's for anybody that is wondering. After reading a few guys saying they rubbed, I was sure to weld mine as far back as I dared and now they fit fine with my new 35's. But of course since yours are welded on already, yes chopping the caps is probably the easiest route.
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #583
Darklight
Old Timer

Yeah I talked with Josh about his and they seem like they should work. Although there's is shrockworks and mine is a Demello the hoops sit a little different so no telling unless try it out.

Looking back I should have welded my Stubbs ultimate sliders back a few more inches then we did. That would have saved me from chopping and capping lol.
35's are not your typical tire for this platform for sure but with some work and love they will do just fine.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 09-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #584
Darklight
Old Timer

Default cutting trimming pounding for 35's

Did some cutting, trimming and pounding on the truck. Cutting was not bad at all. With the right tools. A combination of a grinder with a thin diablo cut off wheel and a sawsas with a torch blade made small work of the sliders and body mount.

On to the pinch welds, I had them folded and pounded outwards but needed more clearance.
Getting them straightened back out and folded over was a bit of work. Now I have them folded inwards (towards the engine) and as flat as I could get them. A larger sledge would have made it a little easier but the small BFH works.
After I flattened them, I put about 5 coats of underbody rubberization/truck bedliner combo on to the seams and fire wall.
All and all a lot of work and I still need to trim some more for sure, as well as assess the rear for rubbing. With the rear bumper I do not foresee it being that bad though.

On to some picís

Where it was rubbing drivers side

Untitled by ,

Pass side

Untitled by ,

Prior to cut

Untitled by ,

All done

Drivers side

Untitled by ,

Pass side

Untitled by ,

Feel comfortable enough now to do a stuff flex test to find out where else I need to trim 
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #585
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Looking good! I need to do my body mount chop as well. Do you plan to weld a plate back over top of the mount to enforce it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #586
Darklight
Old Timer

Nah not the body mount, plan on welding a plate over the sliders though.
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #587
Darklight
Old Timer

Sure I'm still going to rub and probably always will. The LT will help though as it pushes the upper and lower arms a half an inch forward.
Just not sure if I'm going plus 2" or the full 3.5" kit from TC

Stay tuned
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #588
Darklight
Old Timer

tried to find a place to check for clearance

Untitled by Bobby Galeazzi, on Flickr

Couldn't get fully stuffed. Other tire was lifting about a foot off the ground lol

still rubs the firewall, hopefully the LT kit will help

Rear looks great!

Darklight's Build
Unread 09-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #589
daPitbull
Senior Driver

Looks good bobby...I ran those KM2's on my old FJ...I'd say they're my favorite tires.
daPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #590
Inv4drZm
Rookie

Back up onto the obstacle to get more weight over the front, seems to help when I have checked clearance in the front.
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #591
Darklight
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPitbull View Post
Looks good bobby...I ran those KM2's on my old FJ...I'd say they're my favorite tires.
Thanks Ray, they have treated me well for the past 5 years so I decided to stick with them. Just in a bigger size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
Back up onto the obstacle to get more weight over the front, seems to help when I have checked clearance in the front.

Thanks I tried that, but the pipe/obstacle is higher than my rear bumper was and I couldn't get to it.
I'll be flexing her out soon though

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #592
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

Looking good man. It's been a while, but I remember going really aggressive with my trimming when I went to 35's on ifs. Ultimately doing a 2" body lift was the biggest help. Unless you want to limit your uptravel a bunch which would kinda suck. There's pros and cons to all of this. Most have a 1.5" BL. another 1/2" wasn't too bad. I think you will need to trim the rear labs bumper too. I can't remember with my truck but when I lifted my brothers truck I limited his steering. I welded tabs on his steering stops and that was a huge help up front. But I was able to run the rubicon with no rubbing which was pretty nice.
Unread 09-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #593
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks Phil, The rear seems to fit perfect as Luke and I tried to make sure there was enough room in the rear bumper arch when he built it for me. With my adjustable uppers and lowers I think I have it centered too.

The Total Chaos LT moves the front suspension forward a half inch. That should help. If I'm still rubbing after that then I might go with a 1.5 or 2" body lift.
Just waiting to get my LT axles and fenders first then the kit.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #594
HOJeepster
Driver

Dang those tires look beef.
Unread 10-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #595
Darklight
Old Timer

They ainít as small as everyone says they are.

Rock lights ordered. Finally

The long debate of LT or not to LT is closing. That and plus 2 or 3.5 lol. I will need glass fenders with either kit to run these tires 315/75r16, so might as go all the way. Truck is paid for so keeping it for a while.

Talking with Pat from TC for over 2 months now. Heís still not sick of me lol. Seriously. He has been super helpful and awesome to answer my million questions about their line up of products.

More to come

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 11-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #596
Darklight
Old Timer

Spaceship landed in my driveway

Untitled by Bobby Galeazzi,
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 11-27-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Unread 12-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #597
chiplee
Driver

Looks cool, and functional.
'04 LTD V8 4x4 | King Resi CO's | Budbuilt Skids | DO Bumper | Icon UCA's | 4.88's | Rear ARB Locker | Crozfab tire carrier & rack | 1.5" BL | DO Sliders | 35" Toyos | Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch | Borla Exhaust |
chiplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #598
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

Wait, when did you install the LT kit, and where are the new action shots?!
t-rex grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #599
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

x2 when did you go LT? Looks awesome Bobby!
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #600
Darklight
Old Timer

Default LT install

After long debates I decided to join the Total Chaos family with the 2 plus Race series kit, paired with King coilovers with 700 lbs coils and adjuster knobs for softer/firmer ride (set at 12 clicks off of the firmest setting), went on as well as cam tab gussets. Have spindle gussets to install just didn’t have time. I had CVJ build my LT axles using TC shafts and all Toyota parts for the rest. That made the install more of a plug and play. There is a lot to install!

Install went smooth. Was a full 6 hour job including removing the cam tabs, prepping and welding all in one day. Cam tabs are a long install by themselves really.
We did have a small placement issue with the King reis as they’re very long and come into contact with the body mount, just barely though. Took some fiddling around and will end up redoing the resi mounts more than likely.
Initial ride is a bit different, switching to uniballs upper and lower is a night and day difference in performance, strength steering response and tightness. They initial ride once an alignment was completed is very tight steering feeling that almost seemed twitchy like every slight movement is an over correction. This takes some getting used to. Well turns out it’s just the uniballs mainly the lower ones need to “break in”(about 2k miles) and the feeling is normal but will always be tighter than “squishy” ball joints. From what I have been told. The play or slack in steering (ball joints) will be gone with a uniball race series LT kit.
The ride on the road is excellent beyond what my expectations were. Coming from mid-travel I didn’t think it would ride as nice as it does. The sway bar being gone doesn’t seem to matter anymore. I can turn pretty hard I turns and feel very stable and controlled. Bumps are soaked up like a cloud of titties. Small bumps or large ones. It is pretty amazing. That’s just daily driving. When we wen’t on the trail I could tell that the money went to good use. It really flexes and stretches a lot more, even with only 2.5” more travel. The ride over rocks and bumps and gulches and berms and ledges is wayyy better. It’s like butter. It handles controlled and predictable. The extra width is not very noticeable until you get into parking or riding through a drive thru, lol. Our roads are very windy and tight in the Carolinas. I am glad I went with the plus 2” over the 3.5”. Doesn’t seem like much of a difference between the two but there is in certain instances. If I was out west 3.5” would have been my choice, but out here 2” is plenty.

ON to some pics and a latter review.

What a bunch of beautiful gear from TC!

Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 12-22-2017 at 07:43 AM.