Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > FJ Cruiser

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
RawMind
Driver

Default Go Fast FJC Build

Just a summary of my FJC build which we are wrapping up this month. The build is covered on other forums, but I figured I'd toss it up here as reference since the 4Runners share a lot of the same components/characteristics. Figured you could leverage the information as you see fit.

I will say that this build didn't start off with going fast in mind when I ordered the parts 1.5 years ago. If that had been the original intention I would have started off with a different rear end and linkage from the get go. I had originally got a used 2" TC LT setup cheap and and wanted some additional travel and articiulation out of the rear for a mix of expedition travel (with 3 dogs) and general trail riding/crawling, so I had ordered a D60 rear. Through the following posts you'll see why we changed some stuff around and why I've geared it more towards desert running than before. Probably will end up redoing the rear and going with a more well suited alternative down the line, but it will suffice for now and until I learn how to drive the wheels off it.

The FJ had an ICON lift setup, lefty with custom crossmember, and other goodies before this build kicked off.
RawMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
RawMind
Driver

Out goes the old axle

In goes the Total Chaos 2" Long Travel setup.

Rear Axle

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
RawMind
Driver

More of the front and rear comming together. (Disregard the routing of the reservoir hose, just tossed it on there for mock up at the time)

Old link to frame mounts gone.

Trying to keep the link mounts from being too low while still targeting the #s on the calculator

For reference here is how low they normally hang on an OEM/normal currie 4 link setup.

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
RawMind
Driver

More mock up photos of the rear. Note that these were just mock ups for fitment, so everythings just tacked in place and there isn't plating on anything.

Lower link position when upper link contact crossmember.

Upper link tack'd on frame.

Track bar looks like it will need to be bent a bit.

Ride height

New frame mounts

Link clearance at frame at full uptravel

Some stuff just gets in the way

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
RawMind
Driver

Wheel position @ near full bump(I think...can't remember when I took the photo).

Coils & Jounce Shocks in place

So close to being finished, and then things changed. I didn't like the fact that I wasn't getting the travel #s advertised on the front (1.25" short of TC advertised metal to metal with no tires on). UCA uniball would have to go through the fender (and LCA uniball through the rotor) to get those numbers.

The advertised rear numbers weren't accurate either once taking a closer look at the spring. Definitely weren't getting as much use out of a 14" shock as I had hoped. So we are starting to tinker around with some other options. Since the axle is 4" wider than normal it freed up a bit of space at full uptravel.

Still a bit tight though at full articulation. Although I think some spacers should take care of that. But if I'm going to be 3.25" wide or more on each side in the rear, I'm going to have a bit of headache with law enforcement in Houston....already were checking how far out my wheels were with respect to the fenders the one time I got pulled over.

So fiberglass is in order. If I'm doing that in the rear I might as well toss them on in the front. And if the are on in the front I might as well shoot for a wider front setup to match the track width...plus I could go with another kit which actually is supposed to meet their advertised numbers.
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
RawMind
Driver

Front locker/gears going in.

Basically we'll be notching the the frame ly coming up through the wheel wells if needed with a tower to run a 14" coilover with reservoir.

Rear interior and storage system removed (rear seats have been gone for 2 years now or so and there was a full storage setup in there).

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
RawMind
Driver

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
RawMind
Driver

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
RawMind
Driver

Sorry, fuzzy cellphone pics on the next few

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
RawMind
Driver

15" of total travel.

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
RawMind
Driver

New front came in. Camburg setup is much nicer than the Total Chaos all around. Definitely no regrets going with Camburgs over TC's 3.5"kit. Right now it looks like we are getting a bit over 13.25" of wheel travel. Have to figure out how we can eek out a bit more cause the shock still has travel left. Flipping the LCA spacer might buy a bit of travel. Uptravel could be gained by chopping the fender well and reframing.

For comparison purposes - upper uniball on both kits (I'm sure folks that are looking closely will see several other subtle design differences) .

For those who don't think you lose travel with 37" tires (no body lift or anything here).

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
RawMind
Driver

Still in my rock donkey mindset as far as the tires go. 17" Method Race Wheels with 35" pitbulls.

Last edited by RawMind; 03-06-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
RawMind
Driver

Ca,burg kit does offer 14" of travel on the front without CVs and clearancing the fender.

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
RawMind
Driver

Able to roll around now...won't be the final ride height since some adjustements will need to be made with the bumper on and weight in the back.

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
RawMind
Driver

Here are some photos of the issue the CVs at full droop with the Camburg kit.

Axle shaft contacts the housing. At full bump the rollers are being pulled out of the housing. Looks like the OEM tripod inner can only handle 13" of travel on a 3.5" kit.

Hopefully be able to get some custom shafts with different inners and upgraded outers made
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
RawMind
Driver

Shock towers framed out.

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
RawMind
Driver

Pulled the lefty out a couple weeks back. Anyways, I had an Inchworm Lefty 4.7 gears - busted it last October...upgraded the gears to choromly and ordered a spare case with chromoly gears and chromoly 30 spline outputs front and rear...imo thats the only way the Lefty will survive if there's any chance you have an odd lead foot every now and then. Talked with a quite a few people who had output shaft failures and failures of the 4Lo gear sets.

The chromoly gears held up quite well compared to the normal Marlin gears, but the Lefty case simply is a bit too low in some situations. I really wanted something in between the 1:1 & 4.7:1. I wish I could have kept it cause it really is a nice product, but I couldn't justify dual cases which would require me to mess with the gas tank

Thats why I went the route of the Atlas + NWF crawlbox..its a bit shorter than the dual yota cases would be as well as has a bit more strength overall.

The Marlin Seal gets tossed and you have to pull the coupler shaft off the transmission output. When I installed that coupler I scratched my head thinking this thing is going to be damn near impossible to get back off.

A broken pair of channel locks, a couple of different attempts with the slide hammer (notice the welds on the body), and finally welding on a nut to use with the slide hammer and it came off. Inchworm couldn't give me a spec on how far that coupler needed to be installed when I put the one lefty in two years ago, so I'm wondering if I put it on too far. Just a heads up to those folks installing Lefty's hopefully Inchworm or Marlin has a more precise number in regards to how far the coupler needs to go over the output shaft (especially if you ever need to pull it back off).

This bearing needs to be pulled for the Atlas spud shaft.

Inside the tailhousing, bearing comes out this way.

Transmission tail shaft

Atlas spud

Tailhousing reinstalled

Adaptor plate mocked up
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
RawMind
Driver

After around a month waiting for misc parts to show up some things finally arrived to make some progress.

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
RawMind
Driver

Liked everything above the frame rails too much (from the lefty) to give up ground clearance with the Atlas

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
RawMind
Driver

New cross member for the Atlas coming together. It'll have a bushing tied to the rear of the Atlas to support the additional weight. Don't feel like cracking the tailhousing on the tranny.

Substantially modified NWF shifter setup going on the Atlas. What they sent didn't quite work due to the adaptor plate