Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default Body mount relocation process for 37's

So some caveats...

I am aiming to convert my truck to a solid axle in the near future (A RockSolidToys.com conversion)

I recently had a pretty hairy delamination of my driver side 35" tire. These tires are about five years old and were well worn from lots of offroading use.

I did not want to waste money on a new set of 35's which would be too small for a solid axle swap.

So I decided to go ahead and purchase a full set of Cooper STT Mud 37 x 17 x 13.5 tires which will still be a bit small on the SAS but the biggest I could manage for now.

So given all that...I need to make modifications to the truck to make the 37's fit for now.

The process will include:

1. Relocating the body mount that is behind the front wheels
2. Tub the firewall
3. Install longer arms on the rear axle (uppers and lowers) to move axle about 1.5" towards the rear. These will be adjustable.
4. Probably need to do some more trimming of front and rear fenders although I will eventually replace the front fenders with glass fenders
5. Put some longer bump stops on the rear axle

Ok, so next "excuse" lol...

I'm doing this in the garage of my condo. I have to work quietly as possible and with limited tools. As you will see in the following videos I have an angle grinder, an electric sawzall, and a little flux welder.

I have no welding experience other than practicing on various pieces of metal bar. I can actually do pretty good beads in a perfect situation but I am going to have the body mounts welded properly at a later stage.

I am doing this body mount with no previous experience or much to guide me. Pictures and videos were hard to find online. As is usual for this type of project, the first side took nearly two days, the second side about five hours.

This is my first attempt! So enough disclaimers (excuses) and here comes the video process. No time or skill for editing of videos, sorry! Don't know how to embed Dropbox videos...
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!

Last edited by expat; 03-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Lets start with looking at the stock body mount (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7549.mp4?dl=0)

Lift the body off frame and remove rubber mounts (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7550.mp4?dl=0)

New body mount frame tacked in to chassis frame (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7554.mp4?dl=0)

Old mount cut off and ready for grinding down and paint (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7555.mp4?dl=0)

Old mount is being ground down flat (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7556.mp4?dl=0)

Last edited by expat; 03-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Unread 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

New and old mount painted (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7559.mp4?dl=0

This time passenger side but I remove the old mount first (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7560.mp4?dl=0

A little bit backwards but how to create a hole for mounting (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7561.mp4?dl=0

The hole now large enough for fitting a socket and washer (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7562.mp4?dl=0

The new mount now welded in and painted. (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/..._7563.mp4?dl=0
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!

Last edited by expat; 03-16-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Unread 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Predicting a few comments/questions..

1. I am using 4.56 gearing. It's not bad as I imagined it might be in terms of performance, but I will regear to 5.12's or something like that when its time to SAS. Ultimately I'll run either 39.5's or 40's.

2. Gas mileage around town is about 13mpg. Highway about 15mpg - corrected using GPS. Truck unloaded except for storage drawers in back.

3. Yes, I will be wheeling with this setup for a while so will be really careful with CV's!!!!!

4. I can currently get around town with 37's without anymore cutting than I had for the 35's although I did need spacers because I was rubbing on the Total Chaos upper arms. Backing up is a little challenging. get rubbing on firewall currently.

5. My suspension came within specs and then tweeked a little for best handling.

6. Yes, the welds suck visually! STFU

Last edited by expat; 03-16-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Unread 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Hardware and equipment used:

- New body mounts are from Red Goat Fabrications http://www.redgoatfab.com/ (WA 99360) $89 for the kit.

- 2x washers for the top of the bolts when mounting thru the floor

- 8x grinding disks and grinder

- 2x sawzall blades and sawzall

- 2x (7" x 1/2") bolts and either lock nuts, or nuts and locking washers

- can of primer/paint

- drill and bits

- socket set

- wrenches

- welder and associated equipment (gloves, welding mask...)

-

Last edited by expat; 03-16-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Unread 03-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

Good luck!!!

You will probably be ok with a little rubbing. You may also consider to modify the steering stops to limit steering angle for less rubbing up front.
Looking forward to see the SAS........

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Sweet, Mark!
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Good luck!!!

You will probably be ok with a little rubbing. You may also consider to modify the steering stops to limit steering angle for less rubbing up front.
Looking forward to see the SAS........

I had to install a 1.5 "spacers" to each wheel - to maintain clearance on front upper arms and keep tires off chassis frame at full lock.
Unread 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
05sport4x4
Driver

Nice job, Mark

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I had to install a 1.5 "spacers" to each wheel - to maintain clearance on front upper arms and keep tires off chassis frame at full lock.
I'm sure you refer to wheel spacers here.

I found with the wide Toyo MTs that it helped a lot to have a little welding tacked to the LCA where the spindle rubs against on full steering lock. That limited the steering angle a bit, not very noticeable when trying to park, but helped a ton with rubbing at full steering lock positions.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Darklight
Old Timer

Well done write up and tutorial Mark.
How are those 37's treating you! Gosh I was thinking 35's but now

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Thx Bobby.

The 37's are a bit of a PITA to get compression space.

Besides cutting and moving the body mounts, it is also necessary to cut into the firewall/footwell and welding in a replacement. This should my next task. I admit I'm frightened to cut into the firewall because I have seen very little online that gives me a clear picture of what I am getting into.

But that's going to have tom wait a bit. I need to replace bearing hubs this week and today I had to weld up my inner fender wells because they had split on both sides. I think this happened on the last Mojave run when I was bombing across a salt flat and hit a whoop at about 60 mph and slammed the front end into the ground.

Also gotta do
- new stainless brake lines this week
- change the rear panhard bar
- waiting on Wyatt at RST to make me some adjustable (and longer) training arms for the rear (lower and upper) to clear the rear tires from the rear doors.
- Weld back on the front hangars for my sliders that I cut off to relocate the body mounts.

If I hadn't had the need to get new tires that would also work for the SAS I am hoping to do this year, I would not have gone with the 37's. Just too much work. BUT, they look pretty badass lol.
Unread 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
If I hadn't had the need to get new tires that would also work for the SAS I am hoping to do this year, I would not have gone with the 37's. Just too much work. BUT, they look pretty badass lol.
Pics!

This is awesome, great work
Unread 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Pics!

This is awesome, great work

Thx bud! I'll maybe take some photos this week. The thing I don't really like is how wide the tires are outside the fenders because of the wheel spacers. Once the glass fenders are on it will look more proportional.
Unread 03-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #15
tomcat144d
Driver

Thumbs up Nice!

Sweet job !!! Nice video's very informative ! Loving it first step by step this is freaking cool bro I'm looking forward to a completed project just got my 35x12.50x20 on haven't had to cut any thing yet.
tomcat144d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
Rick B
Rookie

Wow, nice work. Also can't wait for pics.

Former Jeep XJ and Nissan Pathfinder (R50) and NEW Toyota 120 owner...here to lurk and learn.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Awesome, X2 on pics of the truck!

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

So now that I have the body mount relocation done, it was on to cutting into the firewall and moving it back about 2.5" in the pinch weld area.

So here are the videos of that process...

Outline cuts https://www.dropbox.com/s/nctocdq69c...p%202.MOV?dl=0

First problem https://www.dropbox.com/s/py07qdi4ec...p%203.MOV?dl=0

Making some deeper cuts https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x0ljq4aio...p%204.MOV?dl=0

Looking ugly but being positive https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sjw9ve8jx...p%205.MOV?dl=0

So I discovered that "I" can't weld thin material https://www.dropbox.com/s/bea46f2dw3...p%206.MOV?dl=0

The finished product..for now! https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm8oadp7yd...p%207.JPG?dl=0
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Things I'm working on now...

I will make some tack welds on the steering stops to reduce the turning angle slightly as I can easily rub on the chassis at full lock which is causing the CV boots to tear.

RockSolidToys.com (Wyatt) made me new links for the rear axle. These things are beefy! Will load photos of those soon. Currently we are working on getting the axle in the right location. This means moving the axle back approximately 1.5" to clear the rear door fender when wheels are fully stuffed, and adjusting the pinion angle. RST is also having a second driveshaft made, this time with a double cardan joint replacing the single flexible coupling. This should remove the vibration I am experiencing from having an increased angle difference from output flange on the transfer case end, to the flange on the rear third.

Heres a link to an example of a double cardan CV joint driveshaft http://www.morris4x4center.com/rough...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Additionally, today I cut more plastic in the rear fender to 1. compensate for the bigger tires 2. to compensate for moving the axle back 1.5". Again, I'll post pictures when that is done.
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #20
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I also had delivered today, a pair of heavy duty CV boots for the front axles. I purchased these from Off Road Solutions http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...inner-cv-boot/

Finally, for now, I need to disconnect my parking brake cable because there is insufficient length in it as we have moved the axle back. That doesn't worry me for now. I have some thoughts on a solution for that, but in the meantime, a short cautionary tale...

I purchased a rear parking brake kit online for cheap. It included shoes, springs, washers, adjuster etc. It was a biatch to install...who designed this brake setup! Anyways, a week after install, a spring on the driver shoe snapped and caused major failure, and damage, to the shoes and all the other pieces inside the drum. So I disconnected the parking brake! Word to the wise...cheap =

Last edited by expat; 07-05-2017 at 09:17 PM.