Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
jediwebdude
Driver

Default Rookie off-roader questions

1) What is the advantage of a solid axle conversion?

2) On the 4th gen 4Runner, what are the most common things that break when off-roading?

3) I assume the differential lock button on my 4Runner is for situations when I'm in mud or on ice and not getting the traction I need. Any other situation it is good for?

Gone off-roading twice now. It's addictive. Each time has cost me a lot of money...as in I come back from the outing and start ordering gear, tires, etc...based on what I just experienced. I am quickly realizing that my desired accessory list exceeds the price value of my 4Runner.

Thanks,
-PJ
2007 4Runner SE 4WD V8 | BFG A/T KO2 285/70 17 | Radflo 2.5 w/ 3" lift | All-Pro 3.5" rear springs | 4x4 Labs rear bumper | BaerTrax rock sliders | Demello front bumper | ComeUp 9.5 winch | FN rims | RCI alum full set of skids | Gobi Roof Rack

Last edited by jediwebdude; 04-13-2012 at 11:47 AM.
jediwebdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
T4RJon_SR5
.:|:.:|:.

Heheheheh....

....Welcome to the club. I'm sure someone will start a "4Runner-ers Anonymous" support group on this forum in the near future.

I started a few minor mods a couple years ago, and after doing those I've noticed that for every mod I complete, two or three get added to the list.
OME 3" lift (885/895, NS shocks) - 1.5" BL - DO 3Hoop - T.A.G. Multicarrier - DO Hybrid Sliders - Smitty XRC2 9.5 - VIAIR On-board Air - 285/70/R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T - 1.25" Spacers - Leather Interior conversion - Yaesu FT-8800 Ham Radio
2005 GX470 -
T4RJon_SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
shabaka
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwebdude View Post
suspension travel and articulation vs a stock IFS set up
some would say solid is stronger but that is not a blanket policy
as been proven time after time not all IFS is weak, not all solid axles are strong

Quote:
2) On the 4th gen 4Runner, what are the most common things that break when off-roading?
rear pinion/diff carrier issues common
also broken front diff bracket seems like two common thing when wheeling
bent rear lower arms
may be the top three

Quote:
3) I assume the differential lock button on my 4Runner is for situations when I'm in mud or on ice and not getting the traction I need. Any other situation it is good for?
that button is for the CENTER diff ...in the transfer case (NOT the axles)
takes you from AWD to "Part-Time" (or 50/50) 4WD
it sends equal power to both axles instead of shifting the torque split back and forth
so no good on dry pavement ...good practice to use it for off-roading
i dont use it on ice unless i'm goofing off

have fun!!!

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...build & gallery
shabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

1) Provides more articulation and usually more travel than IFS, also when people put an axle on the front it tends to be much more beefy and stronger than the IFS. Additionally an axle does "leverage" to push down the end that doesn't have the weight to improve traction on the tire that is only touching the ground.

2)
Common Items with some offroad use:
Skid plates take a beating
rear lower axle links bend on rocks
Expect flat tires from rock, branches, etc (very common pending terrain and tires used)

With more extreme use:
rear ring gear can pop with some extreme use
passenger side front axle mount can break on older well used 4Runners (causing major damage)
CV joints and tie rods can break, but these have been far and few between even with some serious use.

3) lock the center diff when doing steep climbs or drops, especially with low traction or uneven surfaces, makes life much easier on the drivetrain. Also use 4Lo. Locking the center diff also turns of skid control so no power limiting, it also makes the ATRAC works much better.

As said above don't use on flat surfaces with good traction as it can damage the drivetrain.

A general tip is to go out with experienced offroaders first. It really helps to go out with experienced 4Runner owners that know and understand the 4Runner offroad, they can show and explain a lot of stuff to you. Don't go out alone till you are experienced.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
jediwebdude
Driver

Thanks guys. In looking through the combined list of what-could-go-wrong items, I will explore what beefier/stronger aftermarket items are available for replacing the components that are at risk:

a) rear pinion/diff carrier issues common
b) broken front diff bracket
c) bent rear lower arms
d) Skid plates take a beating <-- already picked out full set of skids
e) rear lower axle links bend on rocks
f) Expect flat tires from rock, branches, etc <-- recently upgraded to BFG A/T E series tires
g) rear ring gear can pop with some extreme use
h) passenger side front axle mount can break
i) CV joints and tie rods can break

Quote:
A general tip is to go out with experienced offroaders first.
Went both times with a group of more experienced 4Runner off-roaders. Learned lots of techniques from them. There is a large off-road park an hour away, making it convenient.
2007 4Runner SE 4WD V8 | BFG A/T KO2 285/70 17 | Radflo 2.5 w/ 3" lift | All-Pro 3.5" rear springs | 4x4 Labs rear bumper | BaerTrax rock sliders | Demello front bumper | ComeUp 9.5 winch | FN rims | RCI alum full set of skids | Gobi Roof Rack
jediwebdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Thanks guys. In looking through the combined list of what-could-go-wrong items, I will explore what beefier/stronger aftermarket items are available for replacing the components that are at risk:

a) rear pinion/diff carrier issues common
b) broken front diff bracket
c) bent rear lower arms
d) Skid plates take a beating <-- already picked out full set of skids
e) rear lower axle links bend on rocks
f) Expect flat tires from rock, branches, etc <-- recently upgraded to BFG A/T E series tires
g) rear ring gear can pop with some extreme use
h) passenger side front axle mount can break
i) CV joints and tie rods can break

Went both times with a group of more experienced 4Runner off-roaders. Learned lots of techniques from them. There is a large off-road park an hour away, making it convenient.
On your list:
a) & g) are the same thing.
b) & h) are the same
c) & e) are the same

Order of what to do (IMHO):
1) Tire repair kit
2) Stronger front diff bracket & skid plates
3) Stronger axle links
4) Improve suspension
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
4x4KindaGuy
Rookie

Interesting thread. I am planning to run a light trail by next month. Im still a starter when it comes to off-roading so knowing these things is a must. Good read.
4x4KindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
Darklight
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4KindaGuy View Post
Interesting thread. I am planning to run a light trail by next month. Im still a starter when it comes to off-roading so knowing these things is a must. Good read.
You might want to read up on this thread,

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25

Get a good feel fro how ATRAC works. Keeping a steady pressure on the gas at a low rpm and allowing it to work and kick in is key. You will be surprised what the 4Runner can handle with open diffs and ATRAC. As long as you are in 4low with the center diff locked.

2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
If you have to ask, it's not the mod for you.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #10
4x4KindaGuy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
You might want to read up on this thread,

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25

Get a good feel fro how ATRAC works. Keeping a steady pressure on the gas at a low rpm and allowing it to work and kick in is key. You will be surprised what the 4Runner can handle with open diffs and ATRAC. As long as you are in 4low with the center diff locked.

Hey! Thanks for the tip. I'll read on that too.
4x4KindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote