Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Communications

Unread 10-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Default To dual fuse or not to dual fuse...

So I've been searching all over the net trying to figure out if installing a fuse on both ground wire and positive wire is necessary on my mobile rig. I want to use just one fuse on the positive side, mainly because I've already ran the power and want to keep everything short and clean as possible.

For those who have installed a mobile ham radio, did you fuse both side or just the positive? Any issues with running just one?

I'm running the Yaesu FTM-400DR if anyone is curious to what rig I'm using.
Facebook: VC Cao

Build thread : http://tundrageeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048
Sprung17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprung17 View Post
So I've been searching all over the net trying to figure out if installing a fuse on both ground wire and positive wire is necessary on my mobile rig. I want to use just one fuse on the positive side, mainly because I've already ran the power and want to keep everything short and clean as possible.

For those who have installed a mobile ham radio, did you fuse both side or just the positive? Any issues with running just one?

I'm running the Yaesu FTM-400DR if anyone is curious to what rig I'm using.
EJ here... BOTH neg and pos fuses no questions asked

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Cool beans. By the time I see you, I think all we'll be doing is playing with the radio. LoL Right now it seems to be all plug and play.

Unread 10-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
EJ here... BOTH neg and pos fuses no questions asked
EC here....I concur with EJ. Protect your investment!
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
cruiserlarry
Driver

Most ham radio rigs come with fuses on both the positive and negative sides of the power cord - keep them both to protect the radio from voltage spikes.

cruiserlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Sprung17
Senior Driver

What's the reasoning for dual fuses? All my other 12V doodads only uses one fuse. What makes a ham radio so special? Does it think it is better than everything else? Does it want ice cream at 3:00AM and knows we're out of that frozen goodness and makes me go to 7-eleven just to pick up a jug of rocky road and by the time I bring it to her, she fell back asleep and doesn't want to be bothered by an ice cream wielding warrior of the not so distant past?

Will the ground fuse break if something is short?

Farted a rainbow and this message was sent.

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
SidVicious
Driver

Quote:
What's the reasoning for dual fuses? All my other 12V doodads only uses one fuse. What makes a ham radio so special? Does it think it is better than everything else? Does it want ice cream at 3:00AM and knows we're out of that frozen goodness and makes me go to 7-eleven just to pick up a jug of rocky road and by the time I bring it to her, she fell back asleep and doesn't want to be bothered by an ice cream wielding warrior of the not so distant past?

Will the ground fuse break if something is short?

Fuses on both + and -.

I learned from this site: Paraphrasing... current will take the path of least resistance and could ultimately fry your radio. Having the ground fused is a cheap way to protect your expensive radio.

Ahh here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserlarry
The reason you fuse the ground wire on sensitive electronics is to prevent a current overload from another higher powered circuit from back-feeding into the radio and damaging the radio's electronics.

Example: Your vehicle's battery ground cable gets corroded or has a bad connection for whatever reason (Things loosening up off-road - very common). The starting circuit draws a lot of current (hundreds of amps) - way more than the radio can handle. If the battery ground is not effective, the current will find the path of least resistance - right through the radio's ground wire and through the radio's circuits. This would destroy the radio in an instant, without ever blowing the fuse on the positive power wire to the radio. So, if the negative lead is fused, the fuse will blow before the large current surge can get to the radio's electronics and reek havoc.
Suspension: DR C/O ~ DR Shocks ~ IVD Coils ~ Medic Links Wheels/Tires: 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers ~ Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65/18 More: DO Front Bumper ~ Shrockworks Sliders ~ Slee Brake Lines ~ Nav in Motion ~ National Luna Dual Battery Kit ~ DieHard Platinum PM-1/PM-2 ~ Blue Sea Fuse Block - ARB Fridge
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Nice! Thanks for the informative info. I gotta go grab a fuse holder. I hate glass fuses. I prefer the blade fuse.

Now, is there a reason to choose one type of fuse over another? LoL

Unread 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nice! Thanks for the informative info. I gotta go grab a fuse holder. I hate glass fuses. I prefer the blade fuse.

Now, is there a reason to choose one type of fuse over another? LoL

I kept the dual glass fuses on my 350R, which is powered through my Blue Sea fuse box. I didn't feel like redoing the fuses since it was already done at the factory for me by Yaesu. They chose to use glass fuses for whatever reason and I just stayed with it. No need to fix, what's not broken.

For the biblical length nerd answer to which fuse type is better than the other.......there's a great invention.....called "Google". :p

Sent magically through my phone w/Android 4.2.2
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL68 View Post

For the biblical length nerd answer to which fuse type is better than the other.......there's a great invention.....called "Google". :p

Sent magically through my phone w/Android 4.2.2
My teacher once told me to never trust the internet. To learn is to ask questions or to get my butt off the couch and walk to the library... I haven't been to a library for over a decade. Plus if I use google to search for the closest library, it might lead me to a brothel where the madam might kidnap me and make me her sex slave. I have a girlfriend. I can't do that to her. I am uber faithful. So that is why I go on 120 to ask my Elmers multiple questions. ;P

But cool beans. I too got the blue sea fuse box hard wired into the cab for all my electronic goodies.

Unread 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
My teacher once told me to never trust the internet. To learn is to ask questions or to get my butt off the couch and walk to the library... I haven't been to a library for over a decade. Plus if I use google to search for the closest library, it might lead me to a brothel where the madam might kidnap me and make me her sex slave. I have a girlfriend. I can't do that to her. I am uber faithful. So that is why I go on 120 to ask my Elmers multiple questions. ;P

But cool beans. I too got the blue sea fuse box hard wired into the cab for all my electronic goodies.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question......My interests are elsewhere now. Elmer Jack or some other Elmer could probably give you the yearbook answer when they get a chance.

I'm not involved or highly interested in the HAM world as I used to be a few years ago......It's not a job......it's just another hobby to play with.
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Now, is there a reason to choose one type of fuse over another?
The blade type are smaller, less likely to break, easier to determine if blown some times with the glass ones it's not always obvious.

Colourful thread BTW

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Heh heh. But a useful thread for all the newbie HAM operators on here, if they're curious about the extra fuse.

oh btw, Jon, I installed the radio today. LoL. I still need your help one day on helping me understand what all these features are. You can also help me connect my gps to the radio. I think I just need to pick up a data cable.

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

EJ here... Fuse on both ends brah

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote