Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 03-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
norseman
Driver

Default A/C Condenser Replacement

A while ago I perforated the A/C condenser on my T4R. Now that spring is around the corner I need to replace it. I have searched through the Factory Service Manual and online to get pertinent info but I still have a few questions;

1. Is the ND-8 oil mentioned in the Factory Service Manual used instead of PAG oil?

2. If not, What viscosity Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) oil should I place in the A/C condenser? 46? 100? 150?

3. If not, How much Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) oil should I place in the A/C condenser... mL, oz...? Or is there enough oil reserve in the A/C compressor that I don't need to worry about it?

4. Is there a better name brand I should go with for a new A/C Condenser. I am planning on getting a Spectra instead of an OEM from the dealership.

Thanks for your input!
'08 ltd v6 4x4|mica gray|1.25" spidertrax|285/65r18 toyo at II | fuel trophy wheels|1.5" 4crawler bl|body mount chop|icon billet uca|2.5 radflo front coilovers + rear shocks|all pro 3.5 rear coils|mt rear links|ss brake lines|dual odyssey w/ ibs|led in/exterior lights|hella supertones|demello front bumper|viair oba|weathertech liners. Das bauen
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
rigtec
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post
A while ago I perforated the A/C condenser on my T4R. Now that spring is around the corner I need to replace it. I have searched through the Factory Service Manual and online to get pertinent info but I still have a few questions;

1. Is the ND-8 oil mentioned in the Factory Service Manual used instead of PAG oil?

2. If not, What viscosity Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) oil should I place in the A/C condenser? 46? 100? 150?

3. If not, How much Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) oil should I place in the A/C condenser... mL, oz...? Or is there enough oil reserve in the A/C compressor that I don't need to worry about it?

4. Is there a better name brand I should go with for a new A/C Condenser. I am planning on getting a Spectra instead of an OEM from the dealership.

Thanks for your input!
Hi norseman'

With regard to your question about 'adding oil'. The new condenser should come w/ a nominal amount of refrigerant oil to compensate for the small amount that was lost with the removal of the o.e. unit. You can ask the parts supplier what type of oil is being used in their 'remanufactured'/new part; this is something that they should know.

As far as mixing dissimilar oil grades in your a/c system. ND-8 and PAG 46 oils will not combine to cause any destructive operating issues; chemical or mechanical. NipponDenso (our compressor manufacturer) has used both oils to lubricate their compressors. The only issue for concern might be adding "too much" oil to a system, as a result of replacing a component e.g., compressor, evap, accumulator...etc, that came with a "full system charge" of oil, and the old system oil was never removed.

When a system gets "over charged" w/ oil the oil starts to act as an insulator or a blanket, hindering the proper transfer of heat from the refrigerant to the coils, so the efficiency of that system gets lost. The a/c in our 4Runners stores about 6 to 7 oz. of oil total; that's for the whole system. So you have to be careful not to add too much when replacing one component. Here's a link with a little more information:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...63808443,d.cWc

And here's a oil capas. chart; see Toyota or Lexus for reference: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...63808443,d.cWc

Hopes this helps!

rigtec, Greg
2012, Limited "(in Bliz)", black leather interior. 275/55 R20 Stock 7"x 20" rims, (NO LIFT), GdYr Eagle LS-ll's holding it down. 1998 Candy apple SR5 w/tan int. JL Audio amps & subs, PIAA 520's, Steel Craft grill guards/Bull Bar on both!

[Certifications: Auto electric, Auto a/c, Steering & suspension.]
rigtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
norseman
Driver

Thanks for the info. I just called the local Toyota dealership and they wanted $900+ for a new AC condenser. I can't believe an OEM would be 9X better then an after market one that runs around $100. Then it was going to be around $125 to recharge the system. I'd have to replace and recharge my system 5X before I caught up with the price of the OEM AC condenser.

I think I would rather put that money towards a new rear bumper.
'08 ltd v6 4x4|mica gray|1.25" spidertrax|285/65r18 toyo at II | fuel trophy wheels|1.5" 4crawler bl|body mount chop|icon billet uca|2.5 radflo front coilovers + rear shocks|all pro 3.5 rear coils|mt rear links|ss brake lines|dual odyssey w/ ibs|led in/exterior lights|hella supertones|demello front bumper|viair oba|weathertech liners. Das bauen
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
rigtec
Driver

Hi again norseman'

$900... THAT'S RIDICULOUS! Why aren't you getting the a/m condenser? BTW, $100 bucks sounds quite cheap, are you sure that's all the a/m condenser cost; I think it's $$$copper$$$ Anyway, you could braze the old one if you could locate the leak(s), and save a few dollars ( incidentally, a/c just happens to be my lively hood).

Greg (rigtec)
2012, Limited "(in Bliz)", black leather interior. 275/55 R20 Stock 7"x 20" rims, (NO LIFT), GdYr Eagle LS-ll's holding it down. 1998 Candy apple SR5 w/tan int. JL Audio amps & subs, PIAA 520's, Steel Craft grill guards/Bull Bar on both!

Last edited by rigtec; 04-04-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
rigtec
Driver

Opps!

I wasn't thinking! You mentioned your truck's rear bumper. Here's a good website to get used 4Runner parts on-line... and I'm sure they'll have your a/c condenser, check it out: www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/toyota/4_runner.html

Good luck!

Unread 07-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
044runner
Rookie

my 04 condenser (v-6) had a small leak on the bottom of the passenger side end. fluid was dripping out of the lower nylon fitting located within what looks like a manifold. The nylon fitting has a hex socket within it. The local shop(non-dealer) tried to unscrew this fitting without any luck. Does anyone know if that is a serviceable fitting and if not, can I cap it and clamp it off or do I need a new condenser??
044runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2017, 12:14 AM   #7
karlduke
Rookie

I would replace it. Denso is a good replacement.
karlduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
044runner
Rookie

okay, because capping and clamping it off won't work? I haven't looked at how to join lines for replacement.....are there union fittings?
044runner is offline   Reply With Quote