Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > Prado 120

Unread 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
panamarocks
Rookie

Default 33 inch tires on 2006 prado

Just registered on here. I need some advice if i can put 33's tires w/ 17 inch stck rims without lifting the 2006 prado.
If i do need to lift will a 2 inch body lift be enough so theres no rubbing.
what else do i need to consider if i do a 2 inch body lift?
panamarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
sport_truck
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamarocks View Post
Just registered on here. I need some advice if i can put 33's tires w/ 17 inch stck rims without lifting the 2006 prado.
If i do need to lift will a 2 inch body lift be enough so theres no rubbing.
what else do i need to consider if i do a 2 inch body lift?
There is no way you're gonna fit a 33" tire on stock 17" wheel without cutting.

You're probably gonna need wheels spacers and a lot of trimming on the front just to clear the bumper.

Why do a body lift first, instead of a suspension lift?
285/70R17 Dynapros AT
Energy Suspension Bushings all around
sport_truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
panamarocks
Rookie

yep your right sport truck. i looked into it. im gonna do a 2 inch suspension lift and put the 33's on with 1.5 inch spacers on 4 tires. i just bought my prado and im kinda new to this whole 4x4 thing, i live in panama central america and theres awesome trails down here..lots of mud!
if you have anymore info please shoot off any info im all ears...ill post pics once im done riggin' out my ride. cheers.
Unread 07-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
yep your right sport truck. i looked into it. im gonna do a 2 inch suspension lift and put the 33's on with 1.5 inch spacers on 4 tires. i just bought my prado and im kinda new to this whole 4x4 thing, i live in panama central america and theres awesome trails down here..lots of mud!
if you have anymore info please shoot off any info im all ears...ill post pics once im done riggin' out my ride. cheers.
I fit 32" tires on stock suspension/rims, but I had rubbing. It worked ok for a daily driver, but definitely not something you want to take off road (so there's really no point. I only did it because I was about to do my lift anyways).

Even with a body/suspension lift, you're gonna have some rubbing with 33's and spacers. You'll most likely need to do the body mount chop and possibly trim your fender. Both are simple procedures, just take a little time. Plenty of others on here have done it, and I'll be doing it soon. This is due to the fact that our wheel wells are relatively small, there's really no way around it once you start going with bigger tires.

I'm having that issue right now- I have 32" tires without spacers, my tires rub on my remote reservoirs. But if I put spacers on to clear that, I'll rub on my body mount and fender. Just takes a little time and patience to get it working how you want.
Unread 07-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
panamarocks
Rookie

thanks jeffy. i was tod with the suspension lift and spacers there would be no rubbing with 33's...i dont want to trim the fenders so im not sure what im gonna do, i was about to take it to the shop this weekend...bummin big time. thanks for your info.
Unread 07-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
thanks jeffy. i was tod with the suspension lift and spacers there would be no rubbing with 33's...i dont want to trim the fenders so im not sure what im gonna do, i was about to take it to the shop this weekend...bummin big time. thanks for your info.
Let me clarify there. With yours you should be fine. I have remote reservoirs up front, that's where the rubbing is. I don't think you'll have any issues unless you use the spacers. With the spacers, you MIGHT need to trim fenders/ body mount chop. My last post was written quickly, I think I was unclear.
Unread 07-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
sport_truck
Driver

Quote:
I'm from PTY too, what shop are you taking it?

I'm on Fj springs with spacers which I'll be switching soon.
285/70R17 AT on enkei wheels rubbed, so bad I trimmed the fenders.

on a 4runner btw.
285/70R17 Dynapros AT
Unread 07-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
470SNC
Driver

I have a GX470 same as Prado with 3" lift and 285 Cooper ATPs and it still rubbed on the inner bottom portion of the front bumper when turning, I had to trim the insides, and it still slightly rubs at the corner but not too bad now. I dont see how you can run 33s at stock height
Icon 2.5 extended travel coilovers with resis/All Pro UCAs/Icon 2.5 piggyback rear shocks/Icon 2" coils/MT conversion kit/Rola Rack w extension/Demello Offroad X-Wing sliders/Method Double Standard wheels/285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ATP/Flowmaster Super 10 muffler/Prado snorkel
470SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
panamarocks
Rookie

thanks people for your feedback. sport truck i have quotes from procar and 4x4 ironman australia. i think its kinda senseless to spend $$ on suspension lift and bigger tires and still have to chop and trim fenders..wtf.
3 inch susp. lift / spacers and i still need to cut the stock bumper..its one the coolets features of the car. i dont want a bull bar either. whats really pissing me off is none of the guys i have spoken with at both shops i went to said i may have tires rub. The whole point is not to have tires rub and use the car daily and on trails.

Last edited by panamarocks; 07-08-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Unread 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
sport_truck
Driver

Quote:
thanks people for your feedback. sport truck i have quotes from procar and 4x4 ironman australia. i think its kinda senseless to spend $$ on suspension life and bigger tires and still have to chop and trim fenders..wtf.
3 inch susp. lift and i still need to change the stock bumper..its one the coolets features of the car. i dont want a bull bar.
Nice, I've been to both places and they will take good care of you.
You do understand that you only have to trim the inside of the fender right? Nobody will notice unless you tell them or do a really crappy job cutting the fender.

If you want to run a 33" MT tire, I don't see any other way to be honest, unfortunately you are gonna have to make a choice:
Trim fender
Smaller tire
Bullbar (I'm not a fan of the bullbar look either)
285/70R17 Dynapros AT
Unread 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
panamarocks
Rookie

hey sport truck im gonna go with 33 inch A/T tires. im thinking the iron man australia place. hopefully very little fender cutting since its a A/T tire. im gonna put the snorkel as well. is your 4-runner color black? or white?
Unread 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #12
sport_truck
Driver

Quote:
hey sport truck im gonna go with 33 inch A/T tires. im thinking the iron man australia place. hopefully very little fender cutting since its a A/T tire. im gonna put the snorkel as well. is your 4-runner color black? or white?
Nice, I'm gonna go over to look at snorkels to see if we can modify one to fit my 4runner.

Black.
285/70R17 Dynapros AT
Unread 11-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Kitbags
Rookie

Hi I am an Aussie and new to this forum. Our laws re vehicle mods are different so it is interesting to hear of forum members wanting to fit 33in tyres and spacers.
My contributions to this discussion:-
16in wheels do not fit over the front brakes without grinding the calipers and 15in are out so I assume 16in or 17in wheels are to be used.
Even my 2in suspension lift required changing the wheel alignment settings from standard to cure wandering and vague steering. Is this annoying and uncomfortable steering worse with 33in tyres?
My 2007 120 D4D diesel fitted with standard wheels and 265 70 17 tyres (which are 808mm diameter =31.811in say 32inch diameter) and 2 ARB diff locks keeps up with other more heavier moded units in my group. Is there a real gain acheived from 33in tyres sufficient to justify the extreme act of cutting of body panels especially if the wide tyres still hit and the turning circle is comprised when 265mm = 10.5 inch wide tyres at the right pressures do a very good job on a Prado. Has anyone fitted 265 75 17 tyres and if so are they a clean fit? Just my thoughts for you to accept or reject. Kitbags.
Kitbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 01:50 AM   #14
larsdennert
Driver

I don't think anyone makes 265/75/17 but BFG AT and Firestone AT come in 275/70/17 which is 32.5" and fit pretty well. I have a 2.5" lift and no running boards though. 285s require pounding and cutting.