Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 03-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #21
bulldog
Admin

Reviving a very old thread. Chip did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Mine just did it, started in Tahoe and got CEL, VSC, TRAC off and ABS lights on with no speedo. Then started Monday and the Speedo was working again and ABS light no longer on. I reset the code last night and seems to be fine, though I have not driven it yet.

Was cold with lots of snow in Tahoe, wondered if I snagged a sensor/wire, but seems to be fine since the lights went off with the code reset.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #22
chiplee
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Reviving a very old thread. Chip did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Mine just did it, started in Tahoe and got CEL, VSC, TRAC off and ABS lights on with no speedo. Then started Monday and the Speedo was working again and ABS light no longer on. I reset the code last night and seems to be fine, though I have not driven it yet.

Was cold with lots of snow in Tahoe, wondered if I snagged a sensor/wire, but seems to be fine since the lights went off with the code reset.
I did. Let me try to remember how. It was not the zero point calibration or whatever it's called, but I don't remember what it was at the moment.
'04 LTD V8 4x4 | King Resi CO's | Budbuilt Skids | DO Bumper | Icon UCA's | 4.88's | Rear ARB Locker | Crozfab tire carrier & rack | 1.5" BL | DO Sliders | 35" Toyos | Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch | Borla Exhaust |
chiplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #23
bulldog
Admin

OK, thx, hopefully you remember

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 11-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #24
dbiii
Driver

Bumping this up. I need some help.

I just took a 250 mile road trip with the family. My 2007 4Runner (v8, 4WD) was working great on the way up.

Started her this morning and I got the CEL, VSC, and ATRAC lights. Trying to decide if I can drive it like this back home in a couple of days or take it to the dealer while I'm here.
Unread 11-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #25
Darklight
Old Timer

Start with replacing the gas cap and resetting the battery first. If you can get to an auto store most will check the code for you. Mine happened twice within the past 9 years. Both times it was the gas cap. No worries on driving it like that either.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #26
dbiii
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Start with replacing the gas cap and resetting the battery first. If you can get to an auto store most will check the code for you. Mine happened twice within the past 9 years. Both times it was the gas cap. No worries on driving it like that either.

Bobby
Thanks for the reply. I took it to Autozone and had the following codes come up:

C1201 - engine control system malfunction
P1445 - 2ndary air injection system switching valve #2 stuck closed

I had them clear the codes and I haven't had them come back yet. I plan on replacing the gas cap after Thanksgiving and hopefully that will fix it.

I also found that the Air injection pumps (AIP) on the VVti V8s are prone to failure (there's a TSB and extended warranty for the same engine in Sequoias and Tundras). I've read that the second code is from that but it hasn't come back yet.

Last edited by dbiii; 12-19-2016 at 06:08 PM.
dbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #27
SunnyMcBlock
Rookie

Bulldog

What did you figure out on your rig? I have the exact same symptoms. 03 4.7 4wd. Started in April and has been pretty intermittent, rare throughout the summer. But the bad weather hit last week and once the rig actually needed the ABS and traction control the lights came on and stayed on. Spedo has not moved in a week. I ordered a VSS based on the P0500 code but have not replaced it yet.

Reading the forums is like WebMD for my 4runner. I'm pretty sure now it needs a new ECU, wiring harnesses, all new sensors, ABS control module, dialysis... and it has butt cancer.

Any tips would be appreciated.
SunnyMcBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #28
steel409
Rookie

Hello all,

Just ran into the same problem yesterday while driving through Wisconsin back country roads after 9" of snow with my '03 4.7L Limited. Was using the VSC and ABS quite a bit and after coming to a particular stop, the VSC/ABS lights came on, check engine light came on, and speedo/odo stopped working.

Got the P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A Malfunction. Does the 'A' specify the VSS on the transmission?

I agree with SunnyMcBlock; I've read through a lot of posts, and it sounds like it could be the VSS at the wheels, at the transmission, the wiring, the ABS module (which goes from $85 - $2,600 on Ebay, wtf?), and/or fuses.

I understand that this issue may be hard to resolve, but any direction to minimize the troubleshooting time in sub freezing temps would be much appreciated.

TIA!
steel409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #29
bulldog
Admin

In my case after disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and resetting the code the issue did not return. I did also note that I had a loose ground cable in the engine compartment, the black cable that runs by the MAF and air filter box). After connecting it properly all has been well.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 12-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #30
SunnyMcBlock
Rookie

Just to follow up.

I replaced both speed sensors on the transmission and as I suspected the problem was not resolved.

Upon visual inspection of the ABS sensors at the wheels I found that the wires for the rear sensors have all the insulation worn off and are possibly shorted out where they come together above the rear axle. So that's probably my problem.

Should I try and splice fresh wire in or spring for new harnesses?

Cheers.
SunnyMcBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #31
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyMcBlock View Post
Just to follow up.

I replaced both speed sensors on the transmission and as I suspected the problem was not resolved.

Upon visual inspection of the ABS sensors at the wheels I found that the wires for the rear sensors have all the insulation worn off and are possibly shorted out where they come together above the rear axle. So that's probably my problem.

Should I try and splice fresh wire in or spring for new harnesses?

Cheers.
Get old ones from a wrecking yard. The back ABS wires in the rear are well protected so should be in good condition. Just cheaper than buying new ones.
04 V8 SE, Twin stick conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35"s, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote