Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 12-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
alhang
Rookie

Default Anyone running a 12K lb winch setup?

If yes, what's your current setup? Bumper model ? I have an older Warn 12K lb winch I used with my last truck, was thinking about mounting it to the 4runner, just noticed most of the bumpers and mounts only hold an 8K-10K lb winch. I posted this earlier on t4r but I guess nobody runs a 12K there...
alhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
bulldog
Admin

Most bumpers for the 4Runner are closed with the winch mounting bolts facing forward, which limits space for winches. Older winches with an integrated solenoid normally takes up a lot more space. The typical plate bumpers require a remote solenoid pack typically to reduce he actual winch dimensions.

Also weight is a consideration due the overhang of where the winch actually gets mounted.

Which winch is it? Are you looking at a plate bumper?

Most of the bumper fabbers can help with with winch options as well.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
alhang
Rookie

It's a Warn M12000 from the late 90's. I bought it new for about $550 cause a friend worked for a distributor back in the day and let me buy it at cost(the new ones run $1500). It's currently mounted an a non-winch ARB bumper that was on my Discovery. I was hoping to find a bumper to mount it to the 4runner, if not I may gut the old bumper to see if I can mount it to the runner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jgw1.jpg (89.3 KB, 11 views)
Unread 12-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

Not sure how big the M12000 is, but you may want to see if there are members in your area with bumpers and have a look to see if you can make it fit.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
Wanderer
Driver

Metal Tech 4x4 is clearing out their 4th gen tube bumpers for $199. That looks like it could mount a pretty big winch. It is ugly IMHO (sorry Metal Tech) but maybe you could use it as a substructure and skin it for appearance.
Wanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
alhang
Rookie

I saw that earlier this week, they are all sold out though... what an incredible deal though, it would've been perfect. Thanks anyway
Unread 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Wanderer
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhang View Post
I saw that earlier this week, they are all sold out though... what an incredible deal though, it would've been perfect. Thanks anyway
Sorry I missed that they had sold out.
Wanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Greydog
Rookie

I'm running an Engo 12k on a Undercover hidden winch plate. Plenty of room. I used the Engo bolts but upgraded washes to something not ridiculous like the washers that came with the kit.
Greydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
JustinB
Rookie

I'm running a the Superwinch Talon 12.5 (12,500 lb) on an ARB. I made sure before buying that it's footprint was identical to the 9.5 (9,500 lb) and that the holes to mount matched those of warn winches noted to fit in the ARB (because that's the only winch ARB wants you to easily know fits in their bumpers). I also checked the overall dimensions to ensure there would be room. Worth noting, the ARB bumper requires a remote mount control/solenoid box, so that was a non issue for me, I had planned to mount it in the engine bay all along so wasn't concerned with fitting it in the bumper (I don't think it would very well if I tried anyway).

It all works and I'm happy with my purchase considering the 12.5 was going for only $50 more than the 9.5 at the time. It's heavy as all get out (steel cable), but I picked suspension to support it as such. My only issue now is making sure I don't try and pull too hard and do damage to the vehicle frame or bumper before burning up the winch....

TL;DR -
-see what winches fit your mount as listed by the mount mfg
-find foot print, dimensions, mounting hole diagrams etc. for said winches
-find those for your winch
-consider the weight of such a large winch on your suspension/vehicle and that it may cause damage to your rig before it cuts out on its own
-mount away and know that you will now be pulling less amps for the same loads as smaller winches (huge generalization to be taken with a spoon of salt).

EDIT: looks like the M12000 is the same bolt/mount pattern/footprint as the M8000. So it'll mount if your mount can take an M8000 (haven't heard of anything that can't). Will it fit and can it handle the weight are the big questions, and for you to measure and decide. Here's where I got dimensions for both on their website, under their dimensions tab:
M8000: https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/M8000.jsp
M12000: https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/M1200.jsp (I realize the link is M1200, like it's missing a zero, blame Warn's web developers).

Last edited by JustinB; 01-03-2017 at 10:00 PM.
JustinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
tenguns
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhang View Post
If yes, what's your current setup? Bumper model ? I have an older Warn 12K lb winch I used with my last truck, was thinking about mounting it to the 4runner, just noticed most of the bumpers and mounts only hold an 8K-10K lb winch. I posted this earlier on t4r but I guess nobody runs a 12K there...
Running a Demello bumper on a 2009. It's tight but fits nicely in there with plenty of room. Had to move it forward a bit so cable doesn't bind on radiator center support post when cable doesn't wrap perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1996 SR5 4x East Coast Work Horse -
Broken Downey coils, new Tundra coils and brake system in the works for November. ARB, Warn winch, PIAA lighting, aftermarket leather and sitting in the snow waiting for me to get back to her...
tenguns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper, winch