Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Trik444
Driver

Default Need advice please!- In a wreck - Total Loss -

Last Friday a driver lost control of his vehicle trying to change lanes on the freeway and ran into the front fender/wheel and tire of my 4runner which caused me to get pinched between his Tundra and the cement barrier of the freeway. The damage was concentrated to my fenders, passenger door, snapped the coil-over (assuming damage to some other suspension components) and I had to limp it off the freeway. Somehow the front bumper, hood, engine and all engine components made it out unscathed and no leaks. Luckily, everyone was ok and the driver had insurance and I had a witness to back up what happened.

Fast forward to today and his insurance company, Progressive, called me and said it's going to be a total loss. Honestly I was bracing myself for this thinking they were going to try to lowball me on the value and overshoot the repair bill to try and total it out. Turns out I was right...however I'm absolutely surprised at the figures. My 2005 4runner Sport 4x4 has 190k on the clock and all of the upgrades mentioned in my signature line below. It has been the best and most reliable automobile I've ever owned and it probably had another 100k left in it as I took exceptional care of it.

Progressive is offering $7,200 and they are trying to claim over $8,500 in repair cost. The adjuster provided 7 local comps and none of them have 4WD or the benefits of having 4WD (rear locking diff, downhill assist control, etc.). Mileage is similar on all comps but he only gave a total of $585 for the aftermarket work - $130 for the wheels, $405 for the lift kit and $50 for full tint. No value was assigned for the 275/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers which were almost brand new (though he sure built the full retail cost of two tires into his repair estimate). No value was assigned for the aftermarket alarm or remote start.

I have done my own research and quickly found 3 comps on Autotrader between 14k-17k list price. I also have receipts for all aftermarket work and maintenance receipts to prove I kept the 4runner in incredible operating condition.

Can you suggest anything else I can provide the insurance adjuster or anything else I can argue to get them to provide a higher value? I don't believe $7,200 is what my 4runner is worth nor is it enough to replace my 4runner with something comparable. Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? The accident has been deemed 100% the fault of THEIR insured motorist. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. I'll post pics later tonight.
Current: 2017 TRD Off-Road Premium - Magnetic Grey: 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country MT's - Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks - 17" SCS F5 wheels - Light Racing UCA's, Metal Tech adjustable rear lower arms - Body Mount Chop - Spidertrax

Totaled (RIP): 2005 Sport Edition 4x4
Trik444 is offline   Reply With Quote