Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 01-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
OOutaFocus
Rookie

Default At Wit's End. Center Diff Lock and 4WD

03 4Runner 4wd Limited V6.

During our recent snowfall, I had to engage 4wd to leave my Mountain home. It worked fine and when I put it back to 2wd all of the lights went out. The truck is kept in a heated garage, so I don't believe ice is the issue.

The next day we had leftover ice and I engaged 4wd. This time the green 4wd light kept flashing and the Center Diff Lock light came on along with the VSC light. Nothing I do fixes it.

I'm not physically in 4wd as only the rear wheels will spin on ice and there is no traction from the front. I just don't know if the center diff is really locked and pushing the button has no effect.

I searched various threads on here, but none had the combination of issues I do. I'm about 30 miles from the nearest Toyota dealer and I don't want to destroy the diff getting it there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
OOutaFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
bulldog
Admin

The mechanisms can get sticky at times. Try 4H or 4L (and switch between the 2). Then driver forward and backward about 20 ft, making small turns with the front. Similar with the center diff lock. Basically put in one setting, say 4H and then go back and forth a few times. Do the same with 4L.

See if this helps to get the driveline working again. If you live in snow just get it in 4H and leave it there with center diff unlocked. The V8s don't even have a 2H option. The center diff lock is notorious for getting sticky if it is not used regularly. I found using a good syn oil in the transfer case helped a bit.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
OOutaFocus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
The mechanisms can get sticky at times. Try 4H or 4L (and switch between the 2). Then driver forward and backward about 20 ft, making small turns with the front. Similar with the center diff lock. Basically put in one setting, say 4H and then go back and forth a few times. Do the same with 4L.

See if this helps to get the driveline working again. If you live in snow just get it in 4H and leave it there with center diff unlocked. The V8s don't even have a 2H option. The center diff lock is notorious for getting sticky if it is not used regularly. I found using a good syn oil in the transfer case helped a bit.
Thanks,

I've tried moving the selector between 2-4h-4lo several times....like 20-30. The light just flashes. I know I'm in 2wd because if I encounter some slick stuff, only the rear spins and I get a clicking or buzzing sound from the front where I think I'm hearing the 2w/4w actuator stuck between engaged and not.. My Center Diff Lock light and VSD lights are on solid and hitting the button on the dash does nothing. When I encounter slippage, the slick road icon illuminates.

Does the diff lock button move in and out, or is it a momentary switch? Mine moves, but no light on the switch comes on and the switch always returns to the same position. It doesn't stay out or in if that makes sense.
Unread 01-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
bahndrvr
High Tech Red Neck:)

Had similar issue - turns out my knob was cracked on the back, so I was pushing the selector in and getting a partial turn then it was just rotating the face and not the actual knob in the back, I took the knob off and manually turned the little piece of metal, guess what my 4wd then worked! I took the broken knob and bought some plastic epoxy and repaired it - never any issues since then. It would just sit there and blink no matter what, give it a shot, the knob just pulls straight off to the front.

Also the center diff will do nothing if your not in 4wd, I'm suprized the light is staying on...
315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) - Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Wife's

Last edited by bahndrvr; 01-10-2017 at 01:02 PM.
bahndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
OOutaFocus
Rookie

Good suggestion, just tied it, but no luck. Thanks anyway. Narrowing it down!

So, if I understand you,The center diff will only lock if 4wd is engaged? If I get the 4WD engagement fixed, it may fix the center diff lock issue too? Sounds logical.

Last edited by OOutaFocus; 01-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
bahndrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOutaFocus View Post
Good suggestion, just tied it, but no luck. Thanks anyway. Narrowing it down!

So, if I understand you,The center diff will only lock if 4wd is engaged? If I get the 4WD engagement fixed, it may fix the center diff lock issue too? Sounds logical.
Yeap - have to have the 4wd engaged to get the center diff to work.

Unread 04-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
bahndrvr

Any luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk