Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 12-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
jacal
Driver

I only use chains on the rear, and only off-road. They make an incredible difference, maybe 500% more traction. This is because where I am going the snow has become hard or icy and rubber and ice for 40km just won't work.

I used them once in the city after an ice storm, but other than that off road only. That way as long as I don't get hung up then I can move forward pretty reasonably.

I use Rud as per previous post. As chains go they are not that aggressive, but they suit what I do.

I wish I could mount a set up front as well, we have had some crazy scenarios with the front drifting away on an incline while the rears just kept pushing.

J
03 v6 LTD; OW 2.0 w/ 265/70/r17 Duratrac; DICE Mediabridge 1500; Stubbs Sliders; block heater plug Mod; RUD Grip4x4; yak x-bars; safari RR; hitch cargo basket; roof cargo basket; hydrocarbon/key reminder delete; SW & warn 8K; lexus gx drivers seat; LR UCA
jacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #22
jacal
Driver

I only use chains on the rear, and only off-road. They make an incredible difference, maybe 500% more traction. This is because where I am going the snow has become hard or icy and rubber and ice for 40km just won't work.

I used them once in the city after an ice storm, but other than that off road only. That way as long as I don't get hung up then I can move forward pretty reasonably.

I use Rud as per previous post. As chains go they are not that aggressive, but they suit what I do.

I wish I could mount a set up front as well, we have had some crazy scenarios with the front drifting away on an incline while the rears just kept pushing.

J
03 v6 LTD; OW 2.0 w/ 265/70/r17 Duratrac; DICE Mediabridge 1500; Stubbs Sliders; block heater plug Mod; RUD Grip4x4; yak x-bars; safari RR; hitch cargo basket; roof cargo basket; hydrocarbon/key reminder delete; SW & warn 8K; lexus gx drivers seat; LR UCA
jacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #23
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

British Columbia rules appear to be based on GVW and that weight might be 27,000 Kg, so nothing to do with us ...

Quote:
If you plan to travel British Columbia roadways when wintry conditions are a possibility, you should carry chains and be prepared to install them if needed. When you come to a posted sign on the highway stating “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains Beyond this Point, October 1 - April 30”, you must be ready to install chains or have proper winter tread tires before proceeding. Should you go beyond that point without the proper equipment, you may be subject to a fine. If road conditions worsen, be sure to install your chains before you reach an uphill grade. Pay attention to whether approaching vehicles are using chains or having difficulty. If you have any doubts, chain up before proceeding.

When you encounter a sign or flashing amber lights with a message that indicates vehicles over a certain posted GVW must chain up, then carrying the chains is no longer sufficient. The tire chains MUST be installed at that point. Failure to do so may result in a fine or other enforcement action. Proceeding without the proper equipment installed could also cause you to lose control of your vehicle, endangering your own life and the lives of others.
Reference:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topi...y_Brochure.pdf
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...chains_map.pdf
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

Yesterday some friends were out and there was ice. "Pinball" could have used chains:
http://www.youtube.com/user/avalanchejim
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
Photog
Old Timer

The lack of lockers didn't help him either.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #26
Ludedude
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
The lack of lockers didn't help him either.
Indeed.
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Yabedude
BC Pin Stripping Pro

He's got lockers but was just having fun.
Unread 12-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #28
pb5172
Rookie

Default My interpretation of the CO Chain Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneywa View Post
I did a little more research since it looked like California has some different laws. Here are Colorado's:

Noncommercial Vehicles. For noncommercial vehicles when the chain law is implemented, one of two possible levels is called for.

Chains or snow tires required: This level requires chains, or snow tires, or
all-season tires with an M+S rating (mud+snow) with at least 1/8" tread, or
four-wheel drive vehicles with all four wheels engaged (conventional tires okay).

Chains only: This level requires chains, or four-wheel drive vehicles with all four wheels engaged (conventional tires okay).

It sounds like as long as you have 4WD/AWD (which I do) and the snowflake symbol (http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/0...-snowflake.htm), which I do, I'll be okay on I-70. I've driven up there probably 40 times but never really thought about it until I saw this thread, or I already had chains with me just in case.
I dug around the legislation and it seems like even a 4Runner with snow tires can be required to have chains if it gets bad enough. However, the law states that all 4 wheels "should" have them. I interpret should as a recommendation. I'm just going to buy a set of chains for the rear wheels. I'm driving I-70 as well, but also Berthoud Pass.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berthoud_Pass

Plus the fine is minimum $130 and chains are less than that. call it insurance.
pb5172 is offline   Reply With Quote